S

Stereoguy

Audioholic
Hi: I'm about to buy a PS-3 in the next 2 weeks.I'm wondering whether to buy the slim or the fat one,if 80 GB is enough for me(which it is) and can get a good deal on it am leaning towards the "fat" one.My 1 question is are there any other benefits to the slim??Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A few other minor benefits are:

1. Lower power consumption.
2. Lighter weight.
3. Slightly quieter.
4. Ability to bitstream HD audio.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
In addition to what PENG said, they also run a bit cooler, so less fan noise, which is why it's quieter.

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
I have a 60 gig fat one (back when they were still backwards compatable). I like the fat better, only because of the card reader, which I actually use. It can get a bit loud though. I keep everything in an AV closet so I'm fine with it.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
With the fat ps3 you could also install Linux on it if you wanted to, now I own a 40Gb ps3 (installed Linux and a 500Gb hard drive) and I have had no issues with fan noise it stays at level 1 fan speed while playing games,watching movies,sufering the net. I'm not talking about having it run for a few hours more like 12 to 15 hours on weekends and 5 to 6 hours through the week.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
There are basically three versions of the PS3 fat (ignoring HDD sizes). There's the original one with a card-reader and PS2 hardware emulator. It was only out with the "large HDD" of the first edition.

There's also a stripped down one that lacks (from the standard version) wireless. I believe it had a 20GB or 40GB HDD, and can be recognized by the lack of chrome.

The rest of the "fat" PS3s are the "normal" ones. Mostly they vary by HDD size.

See wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Hardware

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis