Projector Screen for conference room..

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I know this is a little out of place since we are home theater oriented here... but I need a good pull down screen for a conference room at work. Any suggestions? Will need to be pretty high gain for good bright light viewing, and about 70 inches diagonal... and 4:3 is fine.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I know this is a little out of place since we are home theater oriented here... but I need a good pull down screen for a conference room at work. Any suggestions? Will need to be pretty high gain for good bright light viewing, and about 70 inches diagonal... and 4:3 is fine.
DaLite High Power. Very affordable, and waving is much much much harder to detect as a non-tab-tensioned pulldown.

There is a new formula that has compromised gain a bit to increase offaxis viewability. The rating has gone down from 2.8 to 2.4, but I think* both are available.

With the 2.8 stuff, if you are exactly on axis with the projector (which of course is impossible without blocking), the theoretical gain is actually just north of a 3.0 gain.

It will work well if the projector is close to the same angle as the viewers. If the PJ is way off to the side, or many feet above the viewers, this particular strength is greatly diminished.

Something to look into. I bet $250 is enough. I know that at least both AVS and Projector People sell it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The high power is probably the best of the pull down screens - which is something I personally detest in any environment, but I also realize is unavoidable.

For brightness, you want a BRIGHT projector more than anything else. Trying to use a screen to make up for a weak projector in a boardroom just isn't going to work. Off axis viewers will still have issues and gain will affect existing ambient light as well.

The golden rule is that you are shooting for a greater than 10:1 contrast ratio when ambient light is INCLUDED in the equation.

Typically, about 60+ rated lumens per square foot will deliver this througout the life of the lamp of a business class projector.

Screen size is determined by content presentations, the size of the room, and the number of viewers. Typically a 100" to 120" diagonal screen is common for a medium sized conference room. 100" is about 35 square feet, which asks for more than 2,000 real lumens. A 3,000+ lumen projector with that size should make people pretty happy under normal lighting conditions (flourescents).

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Thanks for all of the fantastic suggestions! The projector we are going to use, is an Optoma DX612... we already have it, so we are going to use it... we were using it as a portable projector for presentations, but now we want to mount it permanently. So I am also looking for a good inexpensive mount for it as well. Will look into the suggestions posted here, but please, continue to chime in with any other info or opinions! :)

C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
dnp Denmark. They're screens are designed for viewing in high ambiant light. Take a look at the website, www.dnp.dk the images you see on the screen are not photo shopped they are actual photos. dnp Denmark is the largest manufacturer of screens in the world with 65% of the market. Many of their screens are used in houses of worship, control centers and NBS, CBS nightly news use dnp screens.

C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
Here is picture of a dnp screen I took with my phone. The room was lit with 6 2x4 fluorescent fixtures
IMG00004-20091117-1437.jpg

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Here is picture of a dnp screen I took with my phone. The room was lit with 6 2x4 fluorescent fixtures
View attachment 8105
People are making jokes here... A $500 projector is typically not going to be paired with a $3,000 screen.

But, if you can talk them into buying a $3,000 screen for your $500 projector, by all means... Do so!

C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
People are making jokes here... A $500 projector is typically not going to be paired with a $3,000 screen.

But, if you can talk them into buying a $3,000 screen for your $500 projector, by all means... Do so!
See that's exactly the mentality of this industry, you can get away with a cheaper projector if you have a quality screen. $500 may be a stretch but $1500, sure. You don't need a $30k projector, unless you can afford it. The way high end projectors break down, I would never spend big dollars on a projector but I would spend it on the screen. Projectors contantly change in the technology, once you have a good screen you can have it for life.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
See that's exactly the mentality of this industry, you can get away with a cheaper projector if you have a quality screen. $500 may be a stretch but $1500, sure. You don't need a $30k projector, unless you can afford it. The way high end projectors break down, I would never spend big dollars on a projector but I would spend it on the screen. Projectors contantly change in the technology, once you have a good screen you can have it for life.
There's still a balance which needs to be maintained between a decent projector and a good screen. Any tab-tensioned motorized screen will run in the $2,000+ range for a quality product typically, so it really is easy to spend more than the value of a projector on a decent screen, but having a good screen doesn't fix a poor environment, nor is it necessarily a requirement as a typical boardroom situation asks for about a 10:1 contrast ratio for typical PowerPoint type presentations or basic videos which can usually be achieved by putting about 50 real lumens per square foot of screen space on a standard white screen.

The retro-reflective nature of certain screens, including the DNP can narrow the viewing angle and require a projector to be more intrusive into an envrionment where it is not necessary and where greater viewing range may be required.

In all fairness, I've seen the DNP in person and it truly is amazing and if someone has less than ideal conditions, then dropping the cash for this isn't bad IF they have the budget.

But really, my price was low by a ways. This is more like a $7,000+ screen.

For $7,000 you buy TWO XGA projectors for $1,000 so you have a backup, you buy 2 or 3 spare lamps, and you get a tab-tensioned in-ceiling motorized screen and you really are good to go for years and years to come. The DNP doesn't fix projector failures or replacement lamps, but it does make an image look good when it is projected.

C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
Wasn't that the whole point of the OP's thread? What screens work in a less then ideal condition?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis