Projector Room Positioning Debate

M

Mister D

Audiophyte
New here, looking for advice. We just added a room in our basement with the intention of using it for an HT setup. Before we had the room built we had a makeshift setup so that we could enjoy what we had already.

The room is almost square 15' 7" x 14' 7". The screen is along the wider wall, so that's what you see as you enter the room. The door is in the left back corner farthest away from the screen. To me it just felt right. I'm sure somebody else knows more. Any suggestions? Thanks

PS I had a pretty paint picture drawn up but I can't post it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The aesthetics of a home theater include how you move about the room. The entry and exit and how that impacts the seating and flow of a room are things that many people don't think about at all. They plan on a 'great seat' in the center, but then the couch doesn't fit and allow them good access, or placement for that prime seat. So, it is great that you are thinking about the layout.

There is no obvious advantage to a door at the back of the theater, but you do want room to move about, as I just said. You want to just not consider how it looks, but how it works once all the furniture and speakers are in place.

I have seen setups where the door is at the front, and that really only works if the speakers are out of the way and can be positioned around a door. So, I think back, or middle, works in more setups. Watch your surround speaker placements so people aren't running into speakers, but I think that having a door towards the back is a better setup for many rooms.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis