Projector or Big Screen TV

D

danielt888

Audiophyte
I am indecisive whether to get a Epson 8350 or Mit WD73638 (Rear Proj DLP TV). Can you give me pros and cons? Would the picture quality from PJ as good as from LCD or Plasma or Rear Projection TV? My living room is big enough to put either a 106" or 120" screen and I watch movies 60% and music/TV/others 40%

I appreciate any inputs...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Light control is the absolute requirement for front projection, and to some level for rear projection. Any store you go into with rear projection setups (Mitsubishis) have them in the darkest areas of the store typically, and there is a reason for that.

Now, you have to understand, that the light engine that drives a rear projection TV is a PROJECTOR... (shocker!) So, if you think a rear projection TV looks good, then you will be very happy with front projection.

The biggest issue people have with front projection is that they think they can watch them with light coming through windows, or that they can get perfect results with a lot of light in the room, or even white walls and white ceilings. While you can get GOOD results, there's a vast difference between good and great, and front projection is capable of excellent, movie theater rivalling, quality.

The key is $50 in dark paint. Not black (necessarily) but a dark color that you choose and the darker the better. Add a lot of zoned lighting to the room and you have a movie theater setup no matter what room you are in. If there are windows, get some blackout shades and some thick drapes to add to the mix.

That's for BEST results. Those are the type of results that will visually match a good plasma or lcd television and will exceed the quality of a rear projection display. Rear projection typically goes through a fresnel type screen and this actually degrades image quality. IMO, one of the worst images comes from rear projection, though cheap LCDs are actually the worst, the best LCDs rival the stuff Mits. is putting out. Front projection doesn't have to pass through a plastic screen so with a good screen you can really get stellar results.

With lights on, you start losing image quality rather drastically.

http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

Above are some examples of light impact on a 106" front projection setup with a projector that is about 8 years old at this point and not as bright as the current projectors. I will likely re-shoot those photos at some point with my newere 1080p projector.

Anyway, your room, and your viewing habits (day/night/bright/dark/etc.) are really what determines whether you are a candidate for front projection or not. I'm a huge fan of front projection, but it is a simple fact that some people want front projection yet don't want to actually make a space for front projection, then complain when they get poor results.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Light control is the absolute requirement for front projection, and to some level for rear projection. Any store you go into with rear projection setups (Mitsubishis) have them in the darkest areas of the store typically, and there is a reason for that.

Now, you have to understand, that the light engine that drives a rear projection TV is a PROJECTOR... (shocker!) So, if you think a rear projection TV looks good, then you will be very happy with front projection.

The biggest issue people have with front projection is that they think they can watch them with light coming through windows, or that they can get perfect results with a lot of light in the room, or even white walls and white ceilings. While you can get GOOD results, there's a vast difference between good and great, and front projection is capable of [strike]excellent, movie theater rivalling, quality[/strike] totally annihilating the best theaters in your area, including the expensive DLP theater, the even more expensive IMAX theater, I mean just wipe the floor, are you freakin' kidding me you'll never go to the theater again.

The key is $50 in dark paint. Not black (necessarily) but a dark color that you choose and the darker the better. Add a lot of zoned lighting to the room and you have a movie theater setup no matter what room you are in. If there are windows, get some blackout shades and some thick drapes to add to the mix.

That's for BEST results. Those are the type of results that will visually match a good plasma or lcd television and will exceed the quality of a rear projection display. Rear projection typically goes through a fresnel type screen and this actually degrades image quality. IMO, one of the worst images comes from rear projection, though cheap LCDs are actually the worst, the best LCDs rival the stuff Mits. is putting out. Front projection doesn't have to pass through a plastic screen so with a good screen you can really get stellar results.

With lights on, you start losing image quality rather drastically.

http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

Above are some examples of light impact on a 106" front projection setup with a projector that is about 8 years old at this point and not as bright as the current projectors. I will likely re-shoot those photos at some point with my newere 1080p projector.

Anyway, your room, and your viewing habits (day/night/bright/dark/etc.) are really what determines whether you are a candidate for front projection or not. I'm a huge fan of front projection, but it is a simple fact that some people want front projection yet don't want to actually make a space for front projection, then complain when they get poor results.
fixed. :D

V

Vracer111

Audioholic
I am indecisive whether to get a Epson 8350 or Mit WD73638 (Rear Proj DLP TV). Can you give me pros and cons? Would the picture quality from PJ as good as from LCD or Plasma or Rear Projection TV? My living room is big enough to put either a 106" or 120" screen and I watch movies 60% and music/TV/others 40%

I appreciate any inputs...
Besides what BMXTRIX said... I would go with a FP over any Rear Projection TV, especially when Blu-Ray comes into the equation. Projector is the way to go if you want to go large and inexpensive at the same time with excellent picture quality. $1200 for a beautiful 110"-120" image is massive bang/buck!

I have Epson 8350 (upgraded from Epson HC 720) and I love it. I can live with the not DLP black levels as the colors, vividness, sharpness, and contrast are excellent for this level projector. Seriously outperforms commercial theaters no problem...as jostenmeat so adequately described. :D

D

danielt888

Audiophyte
Thank you guys so much for the info. I'm leaning toward for the Epson 8350 but probably will put it on the shelf right behind the sitting area instead of ceiling mounting because it's hard to run the cables and power source.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
totally annihilating the best theaters in your area, including the expensive DLP theater, the even more expensive IMAX theater, I mean just wipe the floor, are you freakin' kidding me you'll never go to the theater again.
I agee 100%.

I would rather watch movies in my HT room than any IMAX and any other fancy digital projection theater.

The only reason I still go to the movie theater is because I don't have the patience to wait 6 months to watch movies like "Thor" or "Captain America" or "The Avengers", etc.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I agee 100%.

I would rather watch movies in my HT room than any IMAX and any other fancy digital projection theater.

The only reason I still go to the movie theater is because I don't have the patience to wait 6 months to watch movies like "Thor" or "Captain America" or "The Avengers", etc.
I now have plenty of patience. I just got tired of hearing myself sigh, rolling my eyes, asking myself every single time, "Why didn't I just wait for the bluray?". Even if the movie ticket was free, I might ask that, but the last digital-DLP theater I think was $16.50, if not more, and the IMAX was closer to $20. And the worst part might be that I'm not allowed to double fist my two beers. :p

So, I'm waiting for the latest hits, very patiently, to come out on BD, whether True Grit, Black Swan, Tron, The Fighter, and whatever else. I just devour Netflix rentals in the meantime.

If I ever made exceptions previously to go to the theater, half the times it was probably for Pixar. Well, no more, I skipped Toy Story 3, and am glad that I did. The BD is fantastic, and the commercial theaters just can't replicate what I have right now. I went to see Avatar in 3D at the IMAX, because I wanted to make an opinion on the tech. IMHO, my 2D BD just WIPES THE FLOOR with pq. I went to see Inception in 2D Imax, because I saw The Dark Knight at a 2D Digital-DLP; I wanted to see the Imax shots on the Imax screen, since the Imax shots the TDK bluray are phenomenal (the rest being ho hum though). So, I ran my experiments.

Now I just wait for BD releases, and confidently predict I will not step into a theater for the year of 2011. :cool:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Light control is important, but a few curtains really are enough to match TV quality picture. Toss up some darker tone walls. paint on a black widow screen(super easy) and you will wonder why you ever bough a tv. Plus projectors are a lot easier to move.:D

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
This thread has now sealed the deal for me to get a projector. I can't wait until I move next year :D

B

BassAddictJ

Audiophyte
i have a 65in toshiba dlp that i paid a grand for w. the stand and surround...couldnt be happier. dlp's are the best bang per buck IMO

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis