Projector for Sports bar....

D

djenks

Audiophyte
I searched the forum here, and I did find a thread from last year but my situation, budget, and room are all different and it seems a handful of you guys really know what you're talking about, so i'll lay out the specifics of what I'm looking for.

I'm in the process of expanding my sports bar, and I would like to install a 100" screen to be in the main area of the expanded space. I will have two pool tables, dart boards in the very back (light should be relatively controlled), some dark furniture and a music stage. The music stage, since it will be used relatively rarely compared to everything else and is the main focal point in the room, is where I'd like to put a pull down screen. I can mount this projector anywhere from 12-16 ft from the stage.

It seems like looking for a projector on a huge budget is not ideal based off the hour i just spent reading though this forum, but as a small business owner, this is where I'm at. Our stage sound system, remodel, pool tables, furniture, etc wasn't exactly cheap.

I'd like to keep the entire set up under $1,500 and I'd like to be able to get this stuff from a website with decent shipping options (weird request...but I'm on an island in SE Alaska, so shipping can really be a game changer).

This screen will be used exclusively for sports. UFC, Football, Hockey...you name it we carry it. Outside light is a non factor as the expansion room is going further back into the building we are in, however, there will be light from other TVs, dart board area, pool table lights, etc. I do like to keep my bar relatively dim and cozy.

If you guys have any suggestions I sure would appreciate it. This is kind the icing on the cake for us here, everything else is pretty much done.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Just for the meanwhile before BMX chimes in, I'm going to guess you will want a business class type of PJ, almost for sure a DLP for its brightness. One thing to watch out for is the severe lack of placement flexibility with this tech, however.

The immediate fear I have is with the pull down screen. You will get waves in them, and they will be oh so discernible. It will look gross. You would have been better off giving up size, in going with a flat panel.

Pull down screen is actually fine, if you're going with a tab tensioned system. However, that will absolutely obliterate your budget.

But like I said, just bide your time before the master steps in.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would recommend a motorized tab-tensioned screen over a manual screen every day of the week, but on a $1,500 budget, it isn't exactly realistic. Also, with the bar setting, you would want a quality motorized screen, not some cheap Chinese import.

I would recommend something bright to deal with your ambient light issues and a basic image is about all you need, so something like this paired with a 16:9 screen:

Epson Projectors: Epson PowerLite 1940W 3 LCD projector

You will want a good ceiling mount, and you will have to plan on wiring and all the hardware associated with everything. Of course, these things don't have sound worth using if any at all, so you will need speakers and sound for it as well.

If that's ALL supposed to happen in $1,500 I would save the money until you can afford to do it a bit better, otherwise it might be wasted money.

Projector People and Visual Apex are both excellent etailers, but you will want to contact them about your location and how that may affect things.

D

djenks

Audiophyte
Thank you kindly for the responses.

I mean, strictly speaking, just the projector and screen have to be <$1500. All the other expenses you cited, while valid, have been accounted for doing the renovation with or without the projector set up.

I already bought a sound system for our live performers and dance parties that we throw, I have open industrial style ceilings so I already had an electrician run an outlet to where the projector is most likely going to set up because that took no time at all.

The labor and material associated with mounting the projector and the screen I can't imagine should be an issue since I'm doing a lot of the renovation myself and the GC working on this is competent (but am I being ignorant with that assumption? I have never mounted a screen or projector.)

So, I see your suggestion and ask you this - to what price point would you work upward towards to make a drastic and prominent difference over the basic set up you've suggested? If $2000-$2500 is a budget that would offer a substantially better set up, I'd like to see what you've got as far as suggestions because that seems doable. If you're thinking along the lines of $8-$9k before you're noticing a remarkable improvement, I might stick with your basis 101 set up. Overall, reviews seem to speak pretty highly of that Epson, so it's not going to cheapen or ruin a game viewing experience would it?

Thanks again guys. I know little about this stuff.

EDIT: Also, what are your guys' thoughts on used gear?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you kindly for the responses.

I mean, strictly speaking, just the projector and screen have to be <$1500. All the other expenses you cited, while valid, have been accounted for doing the renovation with or without the projector set up.

I already bought a sound system for our live performers and dance parties that we throw, I have open industrial style ceilings so I already had an electrician run an outlet to where the projector is most likely going to set up because that took no time at all.

The labor and material associated with mounting the projector and the screen I can't imagine should be an issue since I'm doing a lot of the renovation myself and the GC working on this is competent (but am I being ignorant with that assumption? I have never mounted a screen or projector.)

So, I see your suggestion and ask you this - to what price point would you work upward towards to make a drastic and prominent difference over the basic set up you've suggested? If $2000-$2500 is a budget that would offer a substantially better set up, I'd like to see what you've got as far as suggestions because that seems doable. If you're thinking along the lines of $8-$9k before you're noticing a remarkable improvement, I might stick with your basis 101 set up. Overall, reviews seem to speak pretty highly of that Epson, so it's not going to cheapen or ruin a game viewing experience would it?

Thanks again guys. I know little about this stuff.

EDIT: Also, what are your guys' thoughts on used gear?
Amazon.com: ViewSonic PRO8400 1080p DLP Installation Projector - 4000 Lumens, 3000:1 DCR, Dual HDMI, 20W Speakers: Electronics

We use it in our church and it's fantastic with enough lumens in even daytime light.

Get that and save up till you can afford it. You can probably get by with a manual screen, but a fixed frame normally makes sense in a bar.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would pick from this list...

Find Projectors By Feature

You have the Optoma right at the top with 4,500 lumens and a 3 year warranty. Not bad at all. If you are able to keep light subdued, this will create a very acceptable image in your commercial space which should be enjoyable.

Your screen... Manual pull down. 133" diagonal is about what you should shoot for at about 16' lens to screen. 16:9 aspect ratio screen.

A good motorized, tab-tensioned screen is not going to happen for under $2,000, and if you aren't thrilled with the look of the manual screen for image quality, then you will want a black diamond Elite screen or a DNP Supernova screen - which will run several thousand dollars. Plenty of time for that LATER... for now, get a manual pull down screen.

Found this model from Elite Screens: M135UWH2

135" diagonal 16:9 screen with a black case.

Elite M135UWH2 Manual Series-Home Cinema for $179 from Visual Apex

$170

The projector is there as well...
Optoma TH1060P Optoma Projectors

$1400

Expect to spend $100-$200 or so on the shipping, but you will want to call them to find out what the exact deal is to your location. They have been excellent when I've dealt with them in the past.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
djenks, what is the reason that this screen must be retractable? What will be behind this screen?

If there is nothing that must be often exposed behind the screen, then spend just a bit more, and get the fixed screen. It will actually save you in the long run, and within a year's time or so, it will be much better looking (flat) compared to the manual when side by side.

And when I think of sports bars with a PJ setup, the ones I can think of? They pretty much always have a game running up on the system, and between all the sports you mentioned, "you name it we carry it", well, it's going to be used almost every single day you are open.

BTW, with the above in mind, start budgeting for replacement lamps.

One downside to LCD tech is that the light paths are not sealed, which can eventually lead to visible dust blobs. It is neither as sharp nor as good with motion as DLP either. But please take these statements with perspective; BMX has tons and tons of in person professional experience, and me, I just believe everything I read on the internet. :p

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm assuming he has a reason for the retractable screen, but it is correct to say that a fixed frame screen is a much better way to go. Still, hard to get good quality for a very low budget on a fixed frame screen, but there are some options.

D

djenks

Audiophyte
I appreciate all the responses guys.

Yeah, there is definitely a reason for the retractable. The screen is going to hang right in the middle of our music stage. So, it will need to be removed on nights that we do open mic, concerts, trivia (once a week), DJ parties, etc.

If storage space was no big deal for a sports bar, then a solid screen wouldn't be a problem, but I've never met a bar owner that has abundant storage space :(

Either way, I'm looking into all these suggestions and I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a retractable screen and a projector in the $1400-$1800 range based off what you guys have told me to look for. I think that the route BMX has suggested makes sense. I'll get a decent-good projector that 95% of the viewing public couldn't discern from a slightly better model, and if the need comes, upgrade the screen. If it's that big of a deal breaker, I'm sure that I can upgrade the screen after the high traffic summer is over this upcoming season (In Alaska, we're very tourist dependent, so usually there's some fun-money in the bank after the summer).

I'll let you know how this all shakes out. Much appreciated

Dave

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Right in the middle, as if hanging from a ceiling? Oh ok then. If up against the front wall, and you think it just looks funny to have a screen visible behind your hired act, you could just cover it with some tapestry or something. Just trying to make sure I'm clear on this. Anyway, you got my gist. By the time you get this installed, it will only be a handful of months by the time your high traffic summer rolls in, and so the screen may still look pretty good at that time, fortunately.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis