Projector for patio big screen

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
I have no previous experience or knowledge of projectors so I am hopping you guys can help me out.

I am looking to set up a screen in my backyard. I'll prob feed it with a Appletv or BDP. For audio I'll use my existing patio speakers.

I am sure there are killer deals to be found on Craigslist but not being familiar with models I am kind of lost.

Thanks group.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Which projector to get depends on light levels. If it's all dark midnight viewing your selection would be different than if you are trying to do some daytime thing.

My suggestion is that you simply use a large TV. I love projectors, but they are a lot of work to setup and dial in properly. TVs take very little effort to move these days and will look fine even at dusk. Plus you don't have to worry about light control.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have no previous experience or knowledge of projectors so I am hopping you guys can help me out.

I am looking to set up a screen in my backyard. I'll prob feed it with a Appletv or BDP. For audio I'll use my existing patio speakers.

I am sure there are killer deals to be found on Craigslist but not being familiar with models I am kind of lost.

Thanks group.
Is this a temporary installation? When do you plan to watch, late at night? How large of an image?
Patio speakers, will that be behind the viewers or the screen is where the speakers are and viewers someplace in the yard looking towards the patio?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is a lot of information about 'backyard projection' out there. But, the key factors are ambient light. You can't use a projector during the daytime. Even at 'dusk' things get tricky. So, it's after dark usage exclusively.

Additional factors include ensuring the electronics are weather protected against heat, cool, and the environment. They just aren't designed to be stored outdoors. Not just 'out of the rain' - but out of the humidity completely.

If your goal is to use a projector outdoors, during the day, then that just isn't realistic.

Not only are projectors to be used in the dark pretty much exclusively, you will have issues with standard flat panels being daylight viewable. There are 'outdoor' rated displays, which are pricey, but part of that price tag comes with a display designed for the elements, so it can live outdoors 24/7/365, and it is THREE TIMES the brightness of a typical flat panel display, which makes it daylight viewable.

Anyway, it is possible to just hang and remove a 60" flat panel in just a few minutes, or if you are building and outdoor space, you can include a enclosure which does protect it from the elements in general.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Panel display is out of the question. To small and ones that are big enough for that wow factor are way to expensive and awkward to handle.

It will be used after dark for kids and maybe tv show premiers and occasional movies or sports.

It will be a completely temporary setup. I'll prob buy a little class D amp and use set of old bookshelfs.

Just asking this group because I am sure there was a particular model that was the bees knees 5+ years ago that is readily available on the second hand market now for a song. Even if there is a model that pops up every now and then. I can set a alert and play the waiting game, no hurry.

My main goal is cheap. It primarily for the kids anyhow. Not looking to win any neighborhood THX awards. Lol.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Projectors are a high-strain electronics item. They have a light bulb in them which runs at a few hundred degrees which is surrounded by electronics. So, a projector that is 5 years old is often at or near complete failure, and likely is due for a replacement lamp which TYPICALLY runs about $300.

There are real considerations which you must address. With a flat panel, you set it on a table and walk away and it's wherever you put it.

With a projector, you setup a screen. Call it a 120" diagonal screen.

Then, the projector must be placed a certain distance from that screen. The lens impacts that distance. It may be 5 feet (rare) it may be 12 feet (more common) it may be 14 feet or more. Each projector is different and they use a different lens, so if you have ANY requirements for a distance which the lens to screen distance must be, then that must be factored in to your purchasing decision.

Also, the projector is most typically mounted right side up several inches below the bottom of the screen, or placed upside down, several inches above the top of the screen. This, once again, is a factor of the lens on the projector. If you need the projector to be placed right side up, near the top edge of the screen, then there are some projectors with a lens design that includes lens shift. Lens shift will allow for the lens to be adjusted up and down properly to suit your needs.

So, okay, after dark, doesn't have to be top shelf.

But, the following questions still need to be asked:
1. How large of a screen are you shooting for? (I would recommend 133 to 150 inches diagonal if you can)
2. Can you place the projector at any distance from this screen?
3. Can you place the projector at any height in relation to the screen?

For audio, I would scour Craigslist for a used A/V receiver and speakers. You can get some decent stuff for next to nothing vs. buying new. Terrible for the most current in surround sound, but great for what your setup is sounding like.

Keep in mind, many of the newest devices do not have analog audio outputs on them (AppleTV, new BD players), so you may need something to convert digital audio to analog.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Thanks BMXTRIX for all the info.

This set up is purely to have some fun outback. That is more thinking than I originally intended

I just wanna slap some lipstick on a pig and show a 10 year old a Disney movie. Lol.

If I can score a projector for $50-$100 and get a few "events" out of it and it breaks I'll toss it...

Again...

I figured you guys in the know would instantly be able to say a model that was a good one for its time and like all electronics taken a big depreciation hit.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
But not all really do. Broken electronics take a hit, but stuff that works typically cost $2,000+ 5 years ago and isn't really cheap today. Often because lamps are $200+ for factory replacement lamps, which is often in need of replacement on anything you may purchase for 'cheap'.

That is, you are gambling on the used market no matter what.

That said, something like the Panasonic AE900 may be great if you can get a good price on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-PT-AE900U-LCD-Projector-/282151014476?hash=item41b182d04c:g:d94AAOSwHoFXuiws

You can also run searches on eBay like this...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=panasonic+pt-l300u+projector+-lamp&_udhi=120&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xepson+projector+home+theater.TRS0&_nkw=epson+projector+home+theater&_sacat=0

This isn't going to be a game of pick from 1,000+ projectors which were all decent and we have no idea what is good out of all those choices. You really have to dig in a bit on any specific model and accept that at $100 or so, you basically are dredging and taking that risk.

I like the old AE900, if it is in good shape, because it has lens shift, and the lens offers a fair bit of zoom range which makes it good for use in which you may have to move the projector about a bit.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
From the info that the OP is providing, I would suggest looking for a new "office projector" rather than a "home theater projector".

At least from what he has said, if I were in his shoes that is what I would be doing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks BMXTRIX for all the info.

This set up is purely to have some fun outback. That is more thinking than I originally intended

I just wanna slap some lipstick on a pig and show a 10 year old a Disney movie. Lol.

If I can score a projector for $50-$100 and get a few "events" out of it and it breaks I'll toss it...

Again...

I figured you guys in the know would instantly be able to say a model that was a good one for its time and like all electronics taken a big depreciation hit.
Fro what you want then, look at the link BMX posted. For those prices, any one will do. Put up a white sheet and you are in business.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If I were to really pick something that I would say is worth having, then I would look at this:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?UseCookie=yes&sku=V11H554220-N

It's $300 which is more than you are looking to spend, but it has a brand new lamp AND carries a warranty from Epson. You can get a solid 120" of diagonal or more from it. It has an HDMI input which you will need for watching your videos. Nice and simple, and it isn't the gamble that the used stuff is.

I'm not saying you have to do this, but if I was on a constrained budget, I would at least try to see if I could get something that was less of a gamble, so when you promise to show a movie for the kids, it's actually going to work.

Also, you may find you really do enjoy it for the entire family, like showing a sporting event... Maybe indoors on a big 100"+ screen.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have the same one. It looks amazing and brightness is more than fine. True I paid less refurb, but that price won't happen till maybe xmas if even that. Amazon sells it over 450 new.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
lol BSA you love to argue and be right. I'll let you have this one. ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Favi does sell dirt cheap projectors that might be exactly what you are looking for. They have low native resolutions, but would match the costs. FWIW I've had one of their manual pull-down screens for a while and it still doesn't have waves.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis