projector for double duty?

T

Tmart

Audiophyte
I think I'm ready to take the plunge to a projector, but am still dipping my toes in the water and not quite ready to throw down for a high end projector, screen etc., until I know i'm all in.
So I'm looking to see if there is a unit I could use for use in my home theater room as well as occasionally move outside for movies on the screened in porch.

I hope to set up a 100" fixed screen in the basement or keep using my 52" Sammy LNB750 with a motorized screen for movies, sports. projector would be ceiling mount. No limits on distance.

On the porch, I am limited in my mounts for a screen as I have only 67" between light fixtures on one wall or could go another wall for 110" but would need to move seating around and not as easy a set up. PJ would be set up on a table or cart.

Both porch and home theater we would be sitting about 10-12' back.

Looking at the benQ1070, Epson powerlite 2030 or 3020 as ideas and love the idea of Wireless on the epson, but doesnt do as much good if needs to be in the same room. 3D not mandatory, but thought I might give it a try.

My budget would be about 2500-3000 for projector and screens. Flexible, but would rather try the outfit on, then spend more (4k setup) in a year or two if it goes well.

Thanks and Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The W1070 is the best 'cheap' projector option out there, and will easily handle the screen size in a dark/semi-dark environment. Projectors don't play well with light in the space, so keep the spaces as dark as you can.

Keep in mind the W1070 and similar price point models, tend to have limited zoom range, and limited placement flexibility, so do your homework on that. The W1070 must be about 2" above the top of the screen (when ceiling mounted) and the Epson must be a couple inches below the top of the screen when ceiling mounted. Other models will behave differently.

The Panasonic AE8000 offers a ton of lens shift and zoom range. It's a bit more expensive, but may look a bit better than the other, cheaper models. If you need/want flexibility in your setup, then that's a great alternative.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
The W1070 is the best 'cheap' projector option out there, and will easily handle the screen size in a dark/semi-dark environment. Projectors don't play well with light in the space, so keep the spaces as dark as you can.

Keep in mind the W1070 and similar price point models, tend to have limited zoom range, and limited placement flexibility, so do your homework on that. The W1070 must be about 2" above the top of the screen (when ceiling mounted) and the Epson must be a couple inches below the top of the screen when ceiling mounted. Other models will behave differently.

The Panasonic AE8000 offers a ton of lens shift and zoom range. It's a bit more expensive, but may look a bit better than the other, cheaper models. If you need/want flexibility in your setup, then that's a great alternative.
I have used both and fully agree!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis