Projector and Screen for under $2k

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I've been tasked with spec'ing out the projector and screen for a friends "mancave" (read: half of a 2 car garage being remodeled. Other half is being dedicated to a pool table).

His max is $2k for both. Now we may be going a bit more for form over function as he'll be entertaining in that room, so it would be preferred if the screen was a roll up one. His seating space is 10' wide and 22' deep so 120" screen would probably be The best size for maxing that width (the roll up ones I've seen are ~110" wide.

The window should be covered, so we won't that to compete with, but it's got to be bright enough to have the recessed lighting on and still see the picture. Mostly BR discs, and HD sports in here.

How far back from the screen should we be expecting to mount this projector?

Thanks for the input!

S

Shrader

Audioholic
I have been reading reviews for this same set up, and have it narrowed to the epson 8350 or the pannasonic pt a100r my seating position will be 14' from the screen, and that is where the projector will be mounted, both projectors are are priced about the same, and have very good reviews. I think I am going with the panasonic, because of the brightness, as my ht will have the same type of use (bd and hd sports) as the other end is also a bar area, so the screen will need to have a good picture, with the lights on. Both projectors can be had for around $1100, so it leaves enough for a pretty good screen, I will be using a fixed screen, and have found them for less than $300 with great reviews.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
The 8350 was actually one of the ones I was reading reviews for the other day. Wonder if any places around here demo projectors. If not I'll have him go while he's at his other house..

I'll have to read up on screen choices though. I'm sure fixed is probably better, but we'll see.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The 8350 would be my first recommendation as I've used it several times in entry level home theater setups. It produces a very bright image and performs well. Still, I own a Panasonic (my second one) and it has performed very well and they remain a top shelf company. Since that projector is a bit brighter, I see no reason not to use it unless you are going to complain about it not performing flawlessly when the lights are off... Remember, your budget is entry level with this and there will be performance tradeoffs in a non-ideal room!

A screen from HTDepot.com offers best projector screen value for home theater is a solid choice. It is one of many 'cheap' Chinese imported screens, but I've used it and if you carefully follow (as best you can) the installation instructions you will have a decent screen with a good black border on it.

Fixed screens are ALWAYS the best way to go when possible and money is tight.

Remember - no audio with projectors, so you will need to provide that separately.

Also, you will need a good ceiling mount, the Chief RPMA-U is by far the best on the market right now that I know of. Pricey, but actually worth it.

Projector: $1,200ish
Epson 8350 Projector (Epson HC8350) Epson Home Cinema 8350 Projector From VisualApex.com

Screen: $400.00
Focupix 16:9 Widescreen Fixed Frame Projector Screen - 125" White

You REALLY want at least a 120" diagonal image size!!!

Mount: $160.00
NEW Chief Speed-Connect RPMAU Projector Ceiling Mount w | eBay

Cables: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Total: Under $1,900!

NOTE: Get your lighting properly controlled in the space and make sure you do it right. People always, always, always blow the lighting and it significantly impacts the quality of the projected image for a stupid lack of forethought and planning.

If this is a multipurpose space, then at least 3 zones of lights minimum, and up to 5 or 6 zones is fine. Can lights over seating (zone 1), can lights over the pool table area (zone 2) can lights for the rest of the space (zone 3). This will allow you to turn lights on in certain areas which are not near the screen and will not significantly impact the image on screen.

Examples: AV Integrated - Custom Audio Visual Integration In Washington DC Metropolitan Area

Don't forget to paint the room dark and to use dark carpet and, if possible, dark furniture.

Last edited:
H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Some great info! I'll look into all of that stuff.

Audio we've got covered, and I've already told him about the lighting zones and color scheme. Showed him monoprice a while back, I'm sure he'll go crazy with all the wiring and cables he's planning.

I'll have to make sure we've got enough space for a 125" screen. It should fit, but barely. I think there's a 1/3rd or 1/2 wall going up between the theater space and the pool table space.

If you were to suggest a next level up and another step above that, which would you suggest? He likes having options. Anything over $4k and he'd probably do an 80" LED tv instead though.

Thanks for the advice

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Epson 5010 is one of the best mid-level projectors you can find. It does a solid job with 3D and produces a bright image with excellent black levels for an extemely good image when the lights are out.

The JVC RS45 is the projector I would buy right now if I wanted the best image possible. Unfortunately, it is not as bright as the 5010, so while I do absolutely love it, the projector won't handle larger screens as well and doesn't do as good of a job with 3D as the Epson.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis