Programmable thermostats?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
did you read my post? lol.. people shouldn't get caught up on the combustion efficiency numbers, there are much more important aspects... as far as your old unit being 65 percent, that is very unlikely, since it was an 80+ unit it probably left the manufacturer around 82 is it was a cheap unit, chimney vented and even improperly tuned you may have been 79% but not 65, it would have been soot filled and needed a flue cleaning every month, your roof and chimney would have been black with soot.. The company you had there may have told you 65 but that is a sales ploy... I can make my meter read anything I want, simply add a ton of air to the unit and raise the stack temp to 900 degrees that meter will show 50% for a few minutes, but there would be so much back pressure that the house would start to fill with CO quite fast...

Your furnace is a fine unit, that isn't the issue, I was just stating that the ones I said are $1800 more are in a different league... When it comes to hvac, go with the companies flag ship, that is the one they take to live fires, home shows, efficiency wars, ect... believe it or not its one of the rare times you get more for your money when you spend more...

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
did you read my post? lol.. people shouldn't get caught up on the combustion efficiency numbers, there are much more important aspects... as far as your old unit being 65 percent, that is very unlikely, since it was an 80+ unit it probably left the manufacturer around 82 is it was a cheap unit, chimney vented and even improperly tuned you may have been 79% but not 65, it would have been soot filled and needed a flue cleaning every month, your roof and chimney would have been black with soot.. The company you had there may have told you 65 but that is a sales ploy... I can make my meter read anything I want, simply add a ton of air to the unit and raise the stack temp to 900 degrees that meter will show 50% for a few minutes, but there would be so much back pressure that the house would start to fill with CO quite fast...

Your furnace is a fine unit, that isn't the issue, I was just stating that the ones I said are $1800 more are in a different league... When it comes to hvac, go with the companies flag ship, that is the one they take to live fires, home shows, efficiency wars, ect... believe it or not its one of the rare times you get more for your money when you spend more...
Of course I read your post, I'm just not buying into it that the flagship models are anything more than a few percent more efficient .... I know how marketing works. :) You almost always end up paying through the nose to be on the bleeding edge with the top of the line models, regardless of the industry.

As far as the old furnace goes, and not that it really matters because I needed a new one anyways, I don't think there are any real AFUE numbers (maybe thermal efficiency?) for a furnace built in 1959. There are a few references around stating AFUE numbers of 55–65% for conventional ng furnaces, maybe that's what they based that off of ... who knows.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Of course I read your post, I'm just not buying into it that the flagship models are anything more than a few percent more efficient .... I know how marketing works. :) You almost always end up paying through the nose to be on the bleeding edge with the top of the line models, regardless of the industry.

As far as the old furnace goes, and not that it really matters because I needed a new one anyways, I don't think there are any real AFUE numbers (maybe thermal efficiency?) for a furnace built in 1959. There are a few references around stating AFUE numbers of 55–65% for conventional ng furnaces, maybe that's what they based that off of ... who knows.

Since I'm at the office today I looked up the price difference for the S series vs the E series, the S costs me $260 more. The variable speed combustion fan is worth more than that, never mind the thicker insulated cabinet and all the other features it steps you up to and of course the 2.5% higher rating... I have been in this business for a long time and in most cases when going high end you go with the flag ship, this is my business, not a guess, lol... Like I said the flagships are their spokesman, they are the models getting shown, and they don't worry about underselling because in 2 years that technology is going to be in their lower series and the new one will have something better... I have been going over this stuff for a long time, a half million in annual sales has to count for something...

Chris, I like the Honeywell Prestige better than the nest. The new prestige with the large hd screen, it allows smart phone connection and shows weather channel info, ect.. tons of features, and they can now just upgrade you when something new comes out..

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't gone through all the posts but I know two people that do HVAC for a living. One is a teacher and the other is a commercial installer who also has certification in refrigeration

They both recommend Honeywell especially the commercial installer. When our friend installed our new 18 seer 2-stage AC and 96% AFUE 2 stage furnace last year he also installed a Honeywell FocusPro 6000.

Neither of them like Nest BTW.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I liked my nest until google just bought them for a few billion.. Now you're going to be paying for googles ROI!
[/URL

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Mac very cool texture on that wall, is that 2 different colors or all texture?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Knockdown with a river rock paint. Pita to apply..never again:0
Well you did a good job, looks nice...

When I first started doing rehabs, we used to try to make the old walls look good, plaster and sponges, and time after time it came, just ok.... Now we just rip and replaster the old stuff just because of the trouble, so I know what you are talking about when you say pita...

Last edited:
itschris

itschris

I did knock down in my first condo, but mine was a bit less knocked down. It was nightmare to paint and actually collected dust. Yours looks great. I caved in when we built our house and went with a orange peel type texture and went with the knockdown on the ceiling...standard fare I guess. Love the look though.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I did knock down in my first condo, but mine was a bit less knocked down. It was nightmare to paint and actually collected dust. Yours looks great. I caved in when we built our house and went with a orange peel type texture and went with the knockdown on the ceiling...standard fare I guess. Love the look though.
When we were building this house, we did knock down on the bedroom ceilings, and smooth ceilings throughout the rest of the house {some are painted with a contour roller some are not painted ect.. It was my wifes design, I hated having it done, lol...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
How topical, our Honeywell CT3200 died this morning. It worked fine for 16 years, but the furnace didn't come on at the set time. When I got up and checked it, it wouldn't respond to any button pushing and only came on after I switched the power off and on. Then, the temperature display didn't budge as the house warmed up and it didn't want to turn off. So, I went out and picked up a RTH7500D.

Of course, it has a smaller footprint than the old one, so the mounting holes don't line up with the old ones.:rolleyes: Which means I have to patch the old anchor holes and touch up the paint before mounting the new one. I have a fire in the fireplace, so the house is still toasty warm. Don't like having to buy such things at the regular price; rather wait for a sale. But, what are ya gonna do?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You can tie your red and white wires {or the wires that were connected to r and w} together and the heat will call, then untie them when ou are warm...y

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You can tie your red and white wires {or the wires that were connected to r and w} together and the heat will call, then untie them when ou are warm...y
Yeah, I know. But it's a relatively mild day around the freezing point, so the fireplace is doing fine.:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think 7-day programming might be an improvement over 5/2. But I would rather avoid other unwanted and unanticipated bells & whistles.

I would say the preference would be what your lifestyle is like during the week vs weekend. Do you need a different time temp setting for each day of the week vs weekend? If not, 5-2 is sufficient as you only program three times, week and weekend instead of all 7 days.
I have a 5-2 and it works. Actually, I could combine Sa & sun but wasn't available and no need to search for one if it exists.

But, before you switch, check the batter and make sure there is no corrosion on a terminal or battery leak.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Does anyone know of a really programmable thermostat? I'm looking for something that can be given multiple set points depending on which set of conditions is satisfied.

Conditions I want to be able to utilize:

1.) Indoor temp
2.) Indoor humidity
3.) Outdoor temp
4.) Hour/Day

So an example of the application would be having a M-F schedule that activates at 10am-10pm. If outdoor temp = x then indoor set temp 1. If outdoor temp = y AND Hour/day = value, THEN indoor set temp 2.

You guys are smart, I dont need to explain all the logic possibilities, but I think I have explained sort of what level of control I'm searching for?

This is for a side project I'm playing with and not a customer application.
Why are you asking on an audio forum instead of searching the web or a forum on heating & A/C systems? The thread you responded to is 9 years old.

I did one quick search and the third response on Quora answered the question.
https://www.quora.com/Does-anyone-make-a-thermostat-that-considers-the-outside-temperature-and-makes-adjustments-accordingly

"Yes, of course.

The principle is called “outdoor reset” or ODR for short.

The premise is that heat loss is roughly proportional to the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures and that heat to the space is related to the difference between space temperature and the average temperature of the heat supplied.

ODR marries these principles and adjusts the energy supplied to the outside temperature.

It is not a single thermostat that does this, but two working together with a controller to adjust the scale to the building served.

For brands, Tekmar is one but there are almost a dozen out there. Names you probably know."

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
With all of this continued heat we are having, my programmable thermostat Trane XL824 is automatically keeping the inside of the home at 78, while its 95+ outside with a heat index of over 100. Not sure when my AC unit stopped running as its been horrid with the heat down here..

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I have a 20-year old programmable thermostat in my house, actually I have two. I installed them myself a few months after moving in to replace the poor quality builder's grade thermostats, and to have the ability to program the settings. They are Honeywell CT3300s, which if I recall I bought for about $45 or $50 each. They have a typical program, 4 time/temp settings for M-F, and 2 settings for weekends. Once they were installed, they were easy to program and have worked well. They occasionally need new batteries, 2 AA size.

Yesterday, we were out for most of the afternoon and evening. I had set the thermostats to 62° F, my away temperature, when we left. When I got home, the downstairs thermostat read 17° C :eek:! I knew that was about right, but I was puzzled at what made it change from F to C.

This morning, I found the old manual, and read how you can change the readout between F or C, by turning a screw on the back plate of the thermostat by one turn. I dreaded removing this thermostat because I vaguely remember having trouble installing it. (The thermostat wire was too short. I struggled with it for a while, and finally spliced on about 6-8" lengths for each of those wires. It was a pain.)

When I got a bunch of screw drivers and a flashlight, I saw that the thermostat now read in °F again. OK, so I never had to pull it off the wall (a good thing), but I'm wondering if I've gotten a warning of future failure.

So I quickly looked at what's available on Amazon. Aye caramba! There are self-programming thermostats that are controlled by smart phones, selling for $250 to $300!! I really don't want that. Isn't there a roughly equivalent replacement for a reasonable price?

My system is standard for the mid Atlantic region: natural gas-fired forced-air heat and electric air conditioning all driven by a common air handler. No heat pump or electric heat. If I recall, the thermostat control wire has 4 conductors.

I know Imcloud works in home heating and cooling. Any others with recent thermostat experience?
Sorry if this has been said. I would go with the least expensive Nest(s) and download the Home app. I have a more expensive version. But I bought the less expensive one for my GF's house and it does everything I need to do, and do, with mine. If I ever need another one, I will go this route.

The key features I like are:
1. It's 7 day programable where you can put several different changes per day if you desire and along with that you can program the away temperatures and min/max (emergency) temps it will let the house get to.
2. Easy to switch from summer to winter programming. I think there's a smart mode where it supposedly knows, but I haven't tried it. I'm worried in late fall and early spring the weather is too erratic by me.
3. Easy to change the temp manually and in the app.
4. Tells you when to change the filter
5. Will tell you if there are other problems. For instance, it told my GF it was taking too long to get to temp. I took a look and found her filter filled clogged with her dogs, 2, hair. This summer's heat and her wood floors made it easy for the intake to suck up the hair.
6. It's plug and forget. Except when you get the message to replace your filter, or something else is wrong. Also compatible with android, apple, siri, alexa, and google.
7. Finally, the best part is it works with your phone, or all the household phones, to do geo fencing. Therefore, when everyone is gone, it will automatically go to your set away temperature and vice versa when anyone comes home. Another plus is on a real hot or cold day you can turn the system on from the office so it will be at temp when you get home.

Basically, in use I just program an awake/day temp, a colder/night sleep temp, and let the geofencing turn it to my away temp when I'm gone and back to the normal programming when I return. Which is why I don't care about all the other smart/learning features.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't believe I've missed this thread, but besides new posted did a surprising necromancy, but I know at least OP, Swerd is still around to read this.
I went with Ecobee 3 (for both zones) and since 09/2018 it saved me $1540.53.
Wirecutter agrees with me: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-thermostat/
Nest is easiest to program with it's fancy Machine learning, but it won't work well without internet and b) Google's product graveyard is vast and growing rapidly.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Sorry if this has been said. I would go with the least expensive Nest(s) and download the Home app. I have a more expensive version. But I bought the less expensive one for my GF's house and it does everything I need to do, and do, with mine. If I ever need another one, I will go this route.

The key features I like are:
1. It's 7 day programmable where you can put several different changes per day if you desire and along with that you can program the away temperatures and min/max (emergency) temps it will let the house get to.
2. Easy to switch from summer to winter programming. I think there's a smart mode where it supposedly knows, but I haven't tried it. I'm worried in late fall and early spring the weather is too erratic by me.
3. Easy to change the temp manually and in the app.
4. Tells you when to change the filter
5. Will tell you if there are other problems. For instance, it told my GF it was taking too long to get to temp. I took a look and found her filter filled clogged with her dogs, 2, hair. This summer's heat and her wood floors made it easy for the intake to suck up the hair.
6. It's plug and forget. Except when you get the message to replace your filter, or something else is wrong. Also compatible with android, apple, siri, alexa, and google.
7. Finally, the best part is it works with your phone, or all the household phones, to do geo fencing. Therefore, when everyone is gone, it will automatically go to your set away temperature and vice versa when anyone comes home. Another plus is on a real hot or cold day you can turn the system on from the office so it will be at temp when you get home.

Basically, in use I just program an awake/day temp, a colder/night sleep temp, and let the geofencing turn it to my away temp when I'm gone and back to the normal programming when I return. Which is why I don't care about all the other smart/learning features.
To be clear, the Nest needs Internet to set it up. It will continue to work and use your settings if your Internet goes down. Including manual control.

Moreover, this is becoming the norm and most people expect to setup and change settings with an app instead of menu based systems on electronic items

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis