Programmable remotes what is everyone using and the pro's/con's....

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Hello fellow Audioholics!! I wanted to get some input on programmable remotes? I'm currently using the Logitech Elite programmable remote. I have to say that this is truly a universal remote and functions using macro's to turn on specific equipment and desired inputs. It also takes the place of all remotes.
Pro's:
  1. Easy to look up remotes to sync button functionality (I have yet to find a remote that can't be found via Logitech library).
  2. Macro's are pretty straight forward to create.
  3. The remote works very well and doesn't use IR, so you can control your devices anywhere you can get WIFI.
  4. The app via android or apple works great, letting users use your phone in place of the remote if preferred.
  5. Logitech still supports remote devices even though they DO NOT sell remotes anymore.
Con's:
  1. Very expensive.
  2. The user interface of the app is terrible in my opinion. Once everything is setup, it works great, but the setup can be a pain.
  3. The remote requires a hub and app to function.
  4. The remote syncs with the app, therefore you have to install the app on your phone and run all editing via the app, then sync.
  5. You have to link to the hub with both Bluetooth and WIFI.
  6. Logitech no longer sells any remote device. From researching I believe they quit manufacturing in 2020 to concentrate on computer devices (as they're known for).
After damaging my remote, I found out the hard way that you can no longer purchase the remote from Logitech. The only way to buy hubs or remotes is through second party owners (Ebay) and what's left in circulation via Amazon. Which is upwards of 700.00. I bought this new in 2018 for 300.00 and thought that was ridiculously priced at the time!

So will that being said, I really can't believe that a modestly priced programmable remote cannot be purchased in and around the 200.00 range, with the same or similar functionality of the Logitech remotes? What's everyone else using, as it gets tiring using several remotes to just switch between viewing platforms!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Sadly Logitech have exited the universal remote business though they still maintain the servers, and promised to do so as long people are using the remotes.

After Logitech announced their exit I bought a new Elite to replace my decade old Logitech and bought an extra Elite as a spare.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I do not trust the long term human nature of Logitech to endlessly continue offering customer support for the present stable of their remote users. Sadly, I switched to Control4.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I do not trust the long term human nature of Logitech to endlessly continue offering customer support for the present stable of their remote users. Sadly, I switched to Control4.
Control4 is way more expensive, can only be bought from a dealer and requires the dealer to install it, as I understand it.

Not for me.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Control4 is way more expensive, can only be bought from a dealer and requires the dealer to install it, as I understand it.

Not for me.
Didn’t try to get you to buy it. I like that they are dealer installed, and they protect their dealers. Internet direct is good way to dilute customer support.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Didn’t try to get you to buy it. I like that they are dealer installed, and they protect their dealers. Internet direct is good way to dilute customer support.
I didn’t think you tried to get me to buy it, only as an alternative that you used.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have the Harmony hub sitting there too, no doubt very similar/same as the Logitech. It became too much to manage and I don't like how some things had to be configured in the app. so I just stopped using it. It did what I wanted it to do, but I didn't like using or configuring it, especially if it was just for one or two commands their program set didn't have (that happened often for non-big name devices).

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I use the Logitech Harmony Elite. It has the dock/hub and remote with a smart app I use on the phone. If the remote were ever to fail I hope the app will continue on.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic

Not for me.
Yep my point exactly, just not many options which is surprising given the explosion of home theatres.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have the Harmony hub sitting there too, no doubt very similar/same as the Logitech. It became too much to manage and I don't like how some things had to be configured in the app. so I just stopped using it. It did what I wanted it to do, but I didn't like using or configuring it, especially if it was just for one or two commands their program set didn't have (that happened often for non-big name devices).
There's a separate Logitech hub that's different from the (Logitech) Harmony hub?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's a separate Logitech hub that's different from the (Logitech) Harmony hub?
AFAIK, the only difference is some seem to say Logitech and the one I have says Harmony. Guessing they are otherwise identical.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yep my point exactly, just not many options which is surprising given the explosion of home theatres.
Home and theater automation has been around for a long time and the bullet proof systems all go through a dealer/programmer (unless you go complete DIY) and then they own the programming. For the average consumer it would require a steep learning curve for the software and programming, and in most cases the gear necessary to carry out the instruction was too expensive, not just the actual remote and programming. Logitech bridged that gap for many, understanding the limitations.

If you system isn't complex (lights, screen and screen masking, thermostat, etc) a simple ir repeater system is inexpensive and you'd just have to choose the remote with the features you need. There is also this one from Sofa Baton that does a pretty good job and I installed it at my wife's mom's house and haven't had any issues but it's just her smart TV, cable box, DVD, and Amazon smart switches (lights).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AFAIK, the only difference is some seem to say Logitech and the one I have says Harmony. Guessing they are otherwise identical.
My hub is marked Logitech....my charger and remotes are marked Harmony....branding decision at some point?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hello fellow Audioholics!! I wanted to get some input on programmable remotes? I'm currently using the Logitech Elite programmable remote. I have to say that this is truly a universal remote and functions using macro's to turn on specific equipment and desired inputs. It also takes the place of all remotes.
Pro's:
  1. Easy to look up remotes to sync button functionality (I have yet to find a remote that can't be found via Logitech library).
  2. Macro's are pretty straight forward to create.
  3. The remote works very well and doesn't use IR, so you can control your devices anywhere you can get WIFI.
  4. The app via android or apple works great, letting users use your phone in place of the remote if preferred.
  5. Logitech still supports remote devices even though they DO NOT sell remotes anymore.
Con's:
  1. Very expensive.
  2. The user interface of the app is terrible in my opinion. Once everything is setup, it works great, but the setup can be a pain.
  3. The remote requires a hub and app to function.
  4. The remote syncs with the app, therefore you have to install the app on your phone and run all editing via the app, then sync.
  5. You have to link to the hub with both Bluetooth and WIFI.
  6. Logitech no longer sells any remote device. From researching I believe they quit manufacturing in 2020 to concentrate on computer devices (as they're known for).
After damaging my remote, I found out the hard way that you can no longer purchase the remote from Logitech. The only way to buy hubs or remotes is through second party owners (Ebay) and what's left in circulation via Amazon. Which is upwards of 700.00. I bought this new in 2018 for 300.00 and thought that was ridiculously priced at the time!

So will that being said, I really can't believe that a modestly priced programmable remote cannot be purchased in and around the 200.00 range, with the same or similar functionality of the Logitech remotes? What's everyone else using, as it gets tiring using several remotes to just switch between viewing platforms!
Like everyone has already noted, Logitech is out of the game. I loved my Harmony and would still be using it but it sadly lost the ability to communicate.

I have tried several others and have been sorely disappointed. There is one that has worked out and I now have
a couple of them. The instructions are basically crap, but, its so easy to figure out that its no problem.
Its also not expensive. $26.95. I don't love it, but, it works well enough my wife can use it unassisted so there's that. It works. It fills a niche. YMMV

Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote for use with Apple TV, Xbox Series X/S, Roku, Media Center/Kodi, Nvidia Shield, Most Streamers & Other A/V Devices

1689891986940.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been using Harmony remotes for quite a while myself (600/650/665 models as well as an Elite/hub setup), some I wore out (and have used this stuff to help prolong life https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8G8SY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I've got a SofaBaton but didn't find it as easy to setup and just put it aside after and found some Harmony NOS and used units to keep me going.....I hope they continue online support for a while :)

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Philips Pronto was the way to go, unfortunately they have gone the same way as Harmony . And are no longer in production. I also have 3 harmony 785. All in different stages of breaking down. The problem is most remotes only do 4 or 6 programs, The 785 does 15, and all are used.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have the Harmony 650 for a loooong time. These days, all I care about is the Roku remote for the TCL TV and the remote for Direct TV Satellite. When I get out DVD home movies, I use the Sony Remote and switch the AVR.

I probably could go back in on the Harmony remote and see if the TCL TV with Roku, will fully program or not. Been 6 years since any program change. I'll have to recheck the programing for the new Denon AVR or not. Denon has not changed much for normal operation aspects. When I have nothing else to do, I might recheck out the Harmony 650. I think back when, I bought the Harmony at Best Buy, and paid $150.00. I still have their website in, "Popular," list. lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis