Procinema 600 Subwoofer driver

T

tomito

Audioholic Intern
Hello everybody, I have the definitive tech procinema 600 home theater for my office but the driver on the sub stopped working, I want to replace it with some other driver from parts-express, something like this: Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm | 295-200
Can I do this? Is there some better driver I could use?

Thank you
Tom

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A sub is typically designed around the specs of the driver and unless you have those driver specs, selecting a random driver will yield unpredictable results. I'd try getting the correct driver from DefTech first.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You could try the Infinity Reference 860... Probably a better driver than the Dayton.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello everybody, I have the definitive tech procinema 600 home theater for my office but the driver on the sub stopped working, I want to replace it with some other driver from parts-express, something like this: Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm | 295-200
Can I do this? Is there some better driver I could use?

Thank you
Tom
I think that is a ported sub. So you must use a driver with pretty much identical Thiel/Small parameters. Drivers just about never have similar T/S parameters. So if you substitute drivers you either get little bass or far too much output above the intended tuning frequency.

In any event how to you know it is the driver and not the amp? Almost always it is the amp on those cheap units.

This illustrates a point I have just made in another post about us drowning in junk electronics. This is a real and worsening problem, and we have to be responsible and not buy low priced junk electronics in the first place.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The sub is ~.8 cubic feet. I would get something like the Infinity *if it's indeed the driver* and run the box as sealed. I don't know if it's ported. If it is I would seal it up.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The sub is ~.8 cubic feet. I would get something like the Infinity *if it's indeed the driver* and run the box as sealed. I don't know if it's ported. If it is I would seal it up.
It's a PR design, which definitely complicates things. If you can't get it repaired correctly, I'd say its time to buy a new subwoofer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It's a PR design, which definitely complicates things. If you can't get it repaired correctly, I'd say its time to buy a new subwoofer.
Thanks for that info. I was about to start reverse engineering it for him, but now I know it will be a complete waste of time.

And actually we still don't know if it is the driver. It is most likely the amp. The only recommendation I have for that DefTech stuff is to run away from it.

T

tomito

Audioholic Intern
I guess it is the driver because it works with some other driver, yes, I undestand this is a low end unit but I was using it like computer speakers (old yamaha receiver driving them) and it was enough for my little office, i'm not looking to shake the walls here, at home I have a infinity kappa vQ for that.
I guess I will need a new sub, but this one used to get the job done.

Tom

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I guess it is the driver because it works with some other driver, yes, I undestand this is a low end unit but I was using it like computer speakers (old yamaha receiver driving them) and it was enough for my little office, i'm not looking to shake the walls here, at home I have a infinity kappa vQ for that.
I guess I will need a new sub, but this one used to get the job done.

Tom
If that is the case, do the battery test on that driver. The cone should fly on connect disconnect with a 1.5 volt battery. If the driver is blown see if you can get a recone kit from DefTech. There are lots of video on YouTube showing you how to do it, or I can talk you through it. Recone kits are usually cheap.

T

tomito

Audioholic Intern
If that is the case, do the battery test on that driver. The cone should fly on connect disconnect with a 1.5 volt battery. If the driver is blown see if you can get a recone kit from DefTech. There are lots of video on YouTube showing you how to do it, or I can talk you through it. Recone kits are usually cheap.
I'll do that and report back tomorrow.

thank you

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis