Problems with 1.85:1 resolution on Sony 50" SXRD

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
Widescreen newbie here. I bought this tv figuring it would look fantastic on DVD's. It does with 2.35: 1 resolution, but not with 1.85:1, as the image is very soft and lacks contrast. Am I missing something here? I'm sitting about 8-1/2 feet from the screen. 1.85 always looked fantastic on my Toshiba 38" CRT. Help please!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
bruceh said:
Widescreen newbie here. I bought this tv figuring it would look fantastic on DVD's. It does with 2.35: 1 resolution, but not with 1.85:1, as the image is very soft and lacks contrast. Am I missing something here? I'm sitting about 8-1/2 feet from the screen. 1.85 always looked fantastic on my Toshiba 38" CRT. Help please!

This are picture ratios, not resolutions. Perhaps you were not watching an anamorphic 1.85 disc? Not all DVDs are created equal. Can your DVD player up-sample it to 780p or something?

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
This are picture ratios, not resolutions. Perhaps you were not watching an anamorphic 1.85 disc? Not all DVDs are created equal. Can your DVD player up-sample it to 780p or something?
Thanks for the feedback. The DVD's at issue here are 1.78:1 aspect ratio, which is what most concert DVD's are presented in. That ratio gives you a full widescreen. Anyway on my Sony SXRD 50", you get a somewhat soft, unfocused image. One person said I may need to sit further away from the screen because for 480i resolution you should be 4X the diagonal lenth of the screen away, so that is part of the problem. Could you recommend a good upscaling DVD player - or do you have one?

T

twheeloc

Audioholic Intern
Resolution vs. Aspect

As previously mentioned the resolution on basically all DVD's is the same The aspect ratio varies quite a bit however and will appear differently on the screen. I haven't seen any examples of this on my TV (same Model) however I don't have a DVD that has multiple aspect ratios to compare. Between your 36 inch and your fifty inch there is considerably more real estate so filming imperfections may become more apparent.

Sitting far enough away from the screen you shouldn't have to worry about. The TV converts everything from the interlaced source anyway (details for me on how are a little bit shaky for me but I'm sure someone here can provide more info. This conversion may be where the problem that you're seeing lies. If the television is better at displaying one ration (closer to it's own native resolution) it may display the image better. Those are my two cents if they make sense.

Let people here know what DVD's you're looking at in particular as there may be some transfer issues that people are aware of.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
bruceh said:
Thanks for the feedback. The DVD's at issue here are 1.78:1 aspect ratio, which is what most concert DVD's are presented in. That ratio gives you a full widescreen. Anyway on my Sony SXRD 50", you get a somewhat soft, unfocused image. One person said I may need to sit further away from the screen because for 480i resolution you should be 4X the diagonal lenth of the screen away, so that is part of the problem. Could you recommend a good upscaling DVD player - or do you have one?

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PanasonicDVDS97p1.php

Check this review out and the price. $240 through Amazon.
Check some others reviewed here.
That 50" Sony should like it better than 480i. Consumer Review has an article indicating some HD sets do not do well on SD 480i.

C

cpate212

Audiophyte
I had similar issue with my sony 42" rp/lcd, I was using the sony scaling (HDMI) dvd player. I just recently replaced the dvd player with the oppo digital player and saw a big increase in picture quality. I would say this is the best scaling dvd player under $1000 (no joke), it just happens to cost under $200 ( $160 if youre ok with a referb like me) oppodigital.com

S

stevem650

Audioholic Intern
I have the 50" SXRD and have the panasonic S77 DVD player. With a HDMI connection the picture is great.

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like the Oppo or Panasonic might be the way to go.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis