Problem With Talking Heads-Speaking In Tongues DualDisc

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Hi all;
Not sure if I should post this here or under the 'CD/DVD & Misc Hardware' forum, but I'll try here first. Anyone have any trouble playing the 'Talking Heads-Speaking In Tongues' DualDisc?

Each time I attempt to select any of the 'Advanced Resolution' (DVD-A) tracks, my player never gets to the point of playing the track. The 'Extras' section plays the videos and additional material just fine, also the CD side plays w/out issue.

I'm using a Yamaha DVD-C750 Universal changer that I've had no problems with prior to this point. Just for testing purposes, I tossed the same disc in my Panasonic DVD-F87S DVD/DVD-A changer and I have no problems with it, so this leads me to believe the Yamaha, in particular, is having trouble with this DualDisc. Strangely enough, the only other DualDisc I have, 'Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral', seems to play just fine on both sides and all material.

Anyone else see this type of behavior? I've seen others note issues with DualDisc, but it was typically atttempting to play a DualDisc as a CD and the player not being able to recognize it due to the size or width of the disc.

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated. I'm pretty bummed that I just spent close to $20 on a disc I can't play the DVD-A on. It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't already have this CD, but the sole reason for purchase was the hi-rez format... :mad: -TD

Last edited:
tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Nobody else experienced this, huh? :(

Oh well, I'll give it another day in this forum, then I may try the 'CD/DVD & Misc Hardware' forum as it may get a little more attention there... -TD

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
theads dd problems

I bought the entire T. Heads "Brick" package of dual discs, and as I recall, the Yamaha C750 (among others) was one of the players that had problems accessing the DVD Audio tracks. My Integra DPS 6.5 also had problems in the menu area. Once I hit "Play", the player froze up and had to be unplugged. Fortunately, I held onto my Pioneer DV563A, which handles these discs fine. Sounds like you are in the same boat, unless Yamaha has a firmware upgrade that will fix the problem. You might check with their technical department.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
That's the problem!

Thanks for the feedback on this, Bruce. What you've described is exactly what I'm seeing. If I don't change discs or attempt to move to a new track, it freezes and the only recovery is to unplug the machine itself, pretty drastic recovery if you ask me.

Strange that I don't have any problems w/the NIN-Downward Spiral DualDisc. Now I'm paranoid about buying any other DualDiscs, which I think are a fairly sh!tty solution to hi-rez audio as opposed to DVD-A or SACD.

I may take the 'Speaking In Tongues' disc over to Hi Fi Buys where I bought the Yamaha player and see if they experience the same problem. I considered buying a new copy, but I'll be dipped in sh!t if I get stuck w/two copies that do the same thing...:mad: -TD

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
At Least I'm Not Alone...

Well, it seems like there's many folks that have experienced this problem using different universal players, here's a couple of links reporting this:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5725
http://www.icemagazine.com/forums/msgs.cfm?msg=155099&forum=8&tz=240
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000B5XSK8/102-5146786-0870559 (see customer reviews)

Some players noted are certain models of Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer as well as Denon. Now if this many players experience the problem, isn't it likely that the manner in which the discs were produced is the culprit? Granted I did read a posting in which Rhino stated a large list of players testing was performed on, but c'mon, four different, prominent electronics manufacturers having different models exhibiting the same behavior??

Seeing how this is the only disc out of about 20 or so hi-resolution recordings I have that exhibit this behavior with none of the others showing this problem, my money is on the source. What a shame... -TD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis