Problem: New Yamaha RX-V2600 Won't Power Up Anymore

C

cdye

Enthusiast
Help! I set up my system for the first time last night and was able to power up the receiver and run a few successful YPAO auto calibrations.

Next, I put a DVD in my new DVD player and was able to see the picture, but there was no sound. I did hear sound from the speakers during the calibration and I also heard sound from a channel via my satellite receiver - amp/receiver connection earlier.

Suddenly, the unit powered down. When I powered it up again, there was a quick message saying something about "check speaker cable connections" and shut off again. I went ahead at that point, kept the unit off, and went to bed for the night.

When I awoke this morning, I checked the back of the receiver and indeed 2 speaker wires had come loose. I took them out, twisted the wire slightly, then put them back into the receivers connector, and retightened using the Yamaha wrench. After doing this, my receiver is still not powering up.

Do any of you have any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? The receiver is new and could possibly be defective, but I am so new to this HT stuff, I very well could be doing something wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated.

As an additional comment, the receiver did not seem to have a "natural" hole for me to stick the wire in. I mean, the sound was working earlier, so this may just be my perception, but the Axiom speakers had a much easier post to attach the wires to.

I look forward to your help. Thanks gang!

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Take all of the speaker wires off of the back of the receiver, and try it. Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere. Receivers don't like it when you short the output.

E

esk456

Audiophyte
MacManNM said:
Take all of the speaker wires off of the back of the receiver, and try it. Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere. Receivers don't like it when you short the output.
I second this. You definitely need to disconnect everything, and try it again.

I had an experience a couple of months ago, with an older Yamaha RX-V793 receiver. I had to move some stuff around, and when I hooked back up my Magnepan MMGw speakers (5 ohm), the receiver would run, but as soon as I turned the volume up just a little, -CLICK- and it would shut off. Even though I had lowered the receiver's impedance switch, I was worrying I had burned it out.

I unhooked everything, it came on fine. After that, hooked back up the speakers one at a time, turn it on, raised the volume, turned it off, reconnected the next one, etc. No further problems. I can only assume I must have crossed some wires somewhere, inadvertently causing a short.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would also make sure you have the correct polarities connected, but the FIRST thing is to check for shorting. Do yourself a favor and pick up some banana plugs.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
If all the above fail, your last hope (with everything left disconnected) is to search the manual and see if there is a sequence for resetting the microprocessor.

Mort

C

cdye

Enthusiast
I was very encouraged by the responses. . . but the results are quite disappointing. I disconnected EVERYTHING except the power cable. Now, when I turn the unit on, it comes on for about 2 seconds, shows the display, makes a clicking sound, and shuts itself off.

The manual also suggested unplugging the unit from the power supply for 30 seconds to "unfreeze" the internal microprocessor, but this also did nothing.

Any other suggestions?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
cdye said:
I was very encouraged by the responses. . . but the results are quite disappointing. I disconnected EVERYTHING except the power cable. Now, when I turn the unit on, it comes on for about 2 seconds, shows the display, makes a clicking sound, and shuts itself off.

The manual also suggested unplugging the unit from the power supply for 30 seconds to "unfreeze" the internal microprocessor, but this also did nothing.

Any other suggestions?

Time to have warranty service on it:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis