Pro-Ject Audio Systems 1Xpression Carbon Turntable Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Who said vinyl was dead? It's been almost 3 years since I took interest in adding a turntable to my audio system so I can experience what's so special about vinyl first hand. Funny thing is that every time I feel like I've finally made my mind on which one to buy, a new brand/model shows up in my browser, holds me back and gets me thinking again. The model in question is the 1Xpression Carbon from Pro-Ject Audio Systems.
1xpressioncarbon.jpg

It is the 6th generation of their hi-fi classic Pro-Ject 1, which they presented for the first time in 1991. According to the company, no other entry-level turntable concept is more audiophile and the current version includes a totally new carbon tone-arm with spin-off "EVO"-Technology. This model has some interesting characteristics like a belt drive design with a low noise AC motor with effective motor decoupling and ultra precision frequency DC-driven AC generator for ultimate speed stability. Some other nice features mentioned on their website are advanced thermo plastic elastomers (TPE) which are used in a sandwich construction with steel alloy for optimized resonance behavior. Platter bearing axle is made from low tolerance chrome plated stainless steel running on a Teflon bottom in bronze bearing housing. Turntable main plinth is made from low resonance MDF, which effectively is decoupled from structure-born noise by special absorber feet, that use TPE technology.

What do you think? Share your thoughts and don't forget to share this with your friends.

FEATURES:
  • Belt drive system with synchronous motor
  • Main platter bearing made from stainless steel runs in bronze bushing with Teflon bottom
  • Heavy steel sandwich platter with TPE technology for superior resonance damping & felt mat
  • 8.6” carbon tonearm with Evo Kardan rings
  • Resonance damping counterweight design
  • Gold-plated RCA interconnect cable
  • Special turntable feet for effective decoupling for massively reduced risk of acoustical feedback
  • Finish: High gloss piano
  • Dust cover included
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Speed: 33, 45 (manual speed change)
  • Principle: belt drive
  • Speed variance: 33: 0.2% 45: 0.18%
  • Wow & flutter: 33: 0.14% 45: 0.13%
  • Platter: 300mm
  • Main bearings: tainless steel
  • Tonearm: 8.6” carbon Evo
  • Effective arm length: 218.5 mm
  • Overhang: 22.0 mm
  • Effective tonearmmass; 8.0g
  • Tracking force range: 0 - 30mn (2M 18mn recommended)
  • Included accessories: 15 volts DC /0.8A power supply, dust cover
  • Power consumption: 4.0 watts max /< 1 watt standby
  • Dimensions: 415 x 130 x 335mm (WxHxD)
  • Weight: 5.5 kg net / 8.0 kg gross weight
PRICE: $799.00

Click on the thumbnail to zoom in.
x252XPRSSNC-o.jpg x252XPRSSNC-o_other.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So the platter is contructed of a sandwich between steel and thermo plastic elastomers? Is that how it reads? I own the previous generation Xpression III and its platter is acrylic. I hope the matt is held down better than the matt of the XPression II which I had owned and lost in a flood.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
3 years?!.. It took me 3 weeks at the most.. Purchased the Pro-ject Esprit and it's so enjoyable.. Sounds great and yes, analog sounds better.. If you have the cash, go to Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds and purchase the remastered lp's to hear the best that's offered today.. Keep up on the sound quality of new, remasterd releases on Analog Planet.. No need to wait years to make a purchase.. Get the Project and be happy.. Crutchfield can ship it to you in 3 days and you get a lot of time to hear it in your system before deciding to keep it.. Ship it back if you don't like it..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis