PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA120... budget 12" powered sub

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
i havent seen any talks about this sub in this forum... and i thought i would create a thread just to get the interest up.. there are reviews on other forum aswell with pics of placement and interior/extrerior shots.. in my opinion,, i like the finish quality nd also the build quality of this sub... i also like the way it sounds.. with a rice tag of 229.00 on ebay you cant beat this..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1088734

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=82738

and here is my lil review along with my own pics..

this is what i found out in comparing my current rca pro sw120p 10" sub with the pa120 12"sub.. the pa120 is brand new.. and has not been burned in.. so from what im told.. the sound will just get better... wow cant wait.. now my levels were set at 70db off a decimeter.. by the way my theater area is 26' x 13' x 24'(vaulted ceiling)

all speakers level at 70db on meter ... -21db on rcvr.. my reference point

for all testing the rcvr volume was at -30db ,,, 9db lower that reference .. unless other wise stated

MOVIES various clips

THE INCREDIBLE HULK
RCA-campus.. the roar was weak,, and so was the pounding of fist while on that bridge while turning into the hulk.. the conic cannons just didn’t have any sonic ability..

PA120- the roar was a lil more pronounced.. not by much.. and the fist pounding on the bridge was only heard at reference level (70db at test tone)… sonic cannons played a lil song in my ears..lol

THE INCREDIBLES
RCA- india-golf-niner niner… the sound the missles make as they fly.. I thought was impressive.. the rocket blast sounded good aswell. And the zero point energy thingy,, well it was lacking a lil

PA120- missles.. oh wow.. the rocket.. good and zero point.. was now noticeable

U571
RCA-depth charges,, had no depth to them.. loud bang,, but no boom

PA120- depth charges.. loud bang and a lil boom

SUPER SPEEDWAY

RCA- chapter 14 road test.. going under the bridges.. very lil to no bass.. except for the last one prior to spin out

PA120-all bridges had that low rumble.. like I was used to when I first saw the dvd..

BOLT
RCA- the beginning nice impact while penny is talking to her father… and the id tag is shown.. ramming the car.. just a lil bass.. nothing impressive.. i
intro to the helis… nice
slow mo jump over heli… nice
“speak”,,, it was ok..

PA120-
WOW… WOW.. WOW.. OK IM HEARING BASS NOTEES THAT I DIDN’T HEAR WITH MY OTHER SUB..

TRANSFOMERS
RCA- IRONHIDE FLIP.. impressive at reference level

PA120- FLIP.. impressive at 30db aswell as reference 21db… more so at reference though.. wow wee..

IRONMAN
RCA- when he is helping those people being held hostage.. he turns off those cannon thingies.. nice..

PA120- very nice and louder and lower..

CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS AFTER BREAK IN..

everything mentioned above for the movie test.. are the same for music.. but music was ONLY played at 9db lower that reference,, -30db on rcvr

MUSIC
various artists
RCA-holly cole ,,, “I can see clearly now “ sounds great..bass strings ,, you can hear the vibration after every pluck
Hotel California,, accurate
Jurassic lunch,, foot steps noticed at 22 seconds
Mahlers 5th symphony,,, good

PA120- same as above,, except for mahlers 5th.. very good and impressive

Iasca sound quality competition disc: superman track 18hz bass
RCA- Olympic fan fare.. bass was there but not loud
Superman track,, 18hz not even a lil wimper

PA120-
Fanfare.. was good and loud..
Superman 18hz.. I could hear a faint whisper nothing more.. maybe at reference level I might be able to get more out of it..

telark erik kunzels TIME WARP: battlestar galactica
RCA-track 2.. 2001 space odyssey… bass note heard 08 seconds into the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rJSZKZsyQ
Track 3, star treck ( one of the newer tv shows) good bass
Track 5,, battle star gallactica.. good accurate

PA120-
Track 2.. 2001 space odyssey… bass note heard 05 seconds into the song
Track 3, star treck ( one of the newer tv shows) wow.. way louder and deeper
Track 5,, battle star gallactica.. good accurate and louder

movie soundtracks sound bites
RCA-
Track 17 movie scores erik kunzel… Godzilla strole through new york steps first heard .09 seconds into
Growl was ok
Titanic hitting iceberg… horn blast.. no low bass note at all..

PA120-
Track 17 movie scores erik kunzel… Godzilla strole through new york steps first heard .07 seconds into
Growl was good
Titanic hitting iceberg… horn blast.. low bass note heard and felt..

new pics showing my subs.. pa120 and the rca

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Some suggestions.

1. try moving the subs closer to the corners of the room to improve room gain.
2. Note that there are other options with similar performance that are cheaper and come with the full warranty and guarantees of the audioholics stores like the Dayton 12".
3. As always saving for a high quality sub is better than buying a budget sub.

The review is helpful, but I just wanted to clarify and help those who might be reading it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have a dayton 12" for sale, but I don't have the original packaging anymore unfortunately.

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
Some suggestions.

1. try moving the subs closer to the corners of the room to improve room gain.
2. Note that there are other options with similar performance that are cheaper and come with the full warranty and guarantees of the audioholics stores like the Dayton 12".
3. As always saving for a high quality sub is better than buying a budget sub.

The review is helpful, but I just wanted to clarify and help those who might be reading it.
1. i did move it to the corner.. encountered very bad room modes... the deminsions of my room dont favor well to subs... and my review was done with the sub near the corner.. i have since moved it to front.. where i am happy with the sound.. very minimal room mode..

2. i have read reviews of the dayton 12".. and some didnt like it.. and the pa120 does come with a waranty http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=197&crid=57&cat_name=Powered+Subwoofers

3. i was saving for a "high quality sub" but chose this one after reading pages upon pages of posts regarding the hsu stf-2.. eD a2-300 ,, the svs pb10-nsd... and since i have to run duals (24ft vaulte ceiling) it is less expensive to go about it with the budget subs.. and im completeld satisfied with it..

im not completely new to home audio.. but all my experience is with mid-high end car audio.. sound quality not that bass heavy stuff (spl) i am aware of what a sub should and should not do.. and i can truly say that i enjoy every aspect of the pa120.. no it may not give me the same output as the others i have looked at.. but i cant view/listen to anyting that loud anyway.. so for my pocket book,, my living area,, and WAF this was a great buy for me.. im not saying its the end all be all... but for someone thats looking for a budget sub.. this might be a viable option for them..

here are pics of my system.. nothing impresive.. but on a budget it works.. and works well..
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=jaejw1

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
watched the dark knight just now on dvd....

i took my time with it,, cause i thought it was all hype.. since i couldnt get anything from my other sub... damn was i completely wrong..

i had to turn the thing down from reference (70db).. i thought if i had it up loud (reference) that i might be able to hear some bass... hell i had to turn it down by 11db (on the rcvr) from reference.. and that was still loud.. a lot of very low freq stuff happening in there..

i was complately shocked at the underground scene.. the batmobile busting through the wall.. and the truck flipping over.. i never heard that bass before..

and now im watching TOP GUN on dvd

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
now that its been a complete week of me running it.. i just recalibrated everything.. and watched
matrix reloaded
horton hears a who
ironman
blackhawk down
various music

all at or above refernce.. and im completely shocked.. good thing no one is at home..lol.. and i just found out that my heighbors ARE at home... oh boy... oh well.. i hope that just the scene selections (not the entire movie) were ok with her.. now im playing classical music.. maybe she will enjoy that a lil more..lol.

cant wait to get my second one..

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
T250

Once I get my new speakers and receiver I'm considering giving the T250 a go. Got nothing to lose with free return shipping if I don't like it (but most likely I will as I have nothing better to compare it too).

I'm holding out for a B-Stock PB10-NSD to show up, but who knows when the hell that'll happen. I'm not an *audionut* like some regulars around here so if I never hear the PB10-NSD and love the T250 I'll be happy and have saved some $$$. Its win-win I tell ya!

Thought I'd mention it as an option for you since you said you're gonna get another 120. Might be interesting to try a dirrerent sub.

Last edited:
J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
i read somewhere ,,, that when using multi subs it is best to keep with the same make and model.. or atleast someting with similar performance... im currently using 2 different subs.. and yes at times i can hear the weaker one trying to keep up..

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
well my movie finally arrived... war of the worlds.. the entire scene leading up to the unearthing of the aliens very impressive... from the low pulse while he walks to the hole in the street.. to the rumbling earthquake madness that comes after..

someone mentioned somewhere that the laser strikes on the ppl was supposed to be low bass.. well im unsure of that.. if it was i didnt sense it...

had my system playing 5db below reference (75db) ... and my sub is level matched so it isnt running hot... well maybe just a tad..

also HORTON HEARS A WHO... pretty impressive aswell.. im sure anything with an elephant in it will have massive bass..

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
I have a dayton 12" for sale, but I don't have the original packaging anymore unfortunately.
I imagine you have a room full of subs, just waiting for them to be mentioned in a thread so you can offer them for sale. Speaking of which, I'm now without a sub as mine just sold on ebay, you have PM.

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
well i have dual PA120's now and just finished watching bugs life,,,,, a second time and this time while using the second sub

rcvr swfr setting
-5dB for movies
-10dB for music

with my 75dB reference set with rcvr volume at -16dB I normally watch my movies with the rcvr volume at -30dB....

watched bugs life the first time with rcvr volume at -30dB... everything sounded good..no problems at all

second time with dual subs
same rcvr volume BUT had to reduce swfr volume down to -10dB... and still low bass was more evident than with the single sub at -5dB....

i will try to repeat my initial tests listed in the first post..

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=jaejw1

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
by the way my theater area is 26' x 13' x 24'(vaulted ceiling)

all speakers level at 70db on meter ... -21db on rcvr.. my reference point

for all testing the rcvr volume was at -30db ,,, 9db lower that reference .. unless other wise stated
First off..that is a big room. Second, you are listening to movies at 61db? Isn't 60db equivalent to normal conversation? Turn it up and you may be a little more impressed.

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
First off..that is a big room. Second, you are listening to movies at 61db? Isn't 60db equivalent to normal conversation? Turn it up and you may be a little more impressed.
I might do that today with ironman or warof the worlds.... but I dont want the wife to start with the divorce papers... she already says its too loud,, and this is said while she is in the dinning room...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The finish of the Premier certainly matches that of the NHT 1.5 speakers. Those are excellent speakers you have there, very low cabinet resonance for a $600 pair of speakers.

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
The finish of the Premier certainly matches that of the NHT 1.5 speakers. Those are excellent speakers you have there, very low cabinet resonance for a $600 pair of speakers.
thanks.. but these are actually the nht 1.3a's.. they came out before the 1.5's.. still sound great though..

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
thanks.. but these are actually the nht 1.3a's.. they came out before the 1.5's.. still sound great though..
Oh, with the grill cover on you really can't tell the difference.

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
Oh, with the grill cover on you really can't tell the difference.
true... thats what sold me on them.. i thought i was buying the 1.5's ,, until i got them home... but i was just as happy.. 200bux a pair

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
had my family over yesterday.. for steaks and chicken... and was watching transformers..

now i normally listen to my movies with the rcvr volume at -30db.. yesterday i had it at -25db.. and oh man... with everyone i the living room.. i was hearing very low freq bass notes i didnt hear before.. simply incredible..

my rcvr volume reference for leveling my speakers at 75db is at -16db..

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
WOW... just played about 20-30 seconds of it.. just the start of the lightning strikes to the part where they ran into the house..

master volume at -21dB my fiirst test was done at -30db master volume..

matched reference of test tone 75dB is at master volume -16dB

wow.. what a kick in the chest that was..
460bux worth of subs.. and they played beautifully with no chuf,fart,burp or bottoming..

i think im gonna tray the street scene next week... playing it this loud brought the neighbors outside wondering what was going on..

with my first test with master volume at -30dB,,,,, still 14dB below my 75dB matched reference...... already 98dB was loud enough everything sounded great and no stress on the subs.... gain on subs are both at 6 and are -15dB adjusted

lightning strikes were measured at 85dB at the begining and hit its hardest at 98dB right before they ran into the house

J

jaejw1

Junior Audioholic
almost a year has past since my last post... s my collection of blues increased so has my enjoyment of this sub.. eveything thrown at it and not one lil hick up... im completely satisfied.. couldnt ask for anything more..
avatar was a treat to watch and listen to..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis