R

Rich0372

Enthusiast
any recommendations here's a list I came up with

Rotel 1068 $1600
Sherwood-newcasle p965 $1500
B&K ref 50 $2000
Arcam avp700 $2000

If you have any others please feel free to add it I am 50/50 movies music my system is as follows:

Klipsch klf 30 mains klf 20s surrounds and klf c7s front and rear centers earthquake cinenova grande 3&5 amps and a pioneer elite vsx43tx reciever that I want to replace tahnks Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Personally I would go with a Yamaha RX-V4600 over the ones you listed and use it as a pre/pro. It has a better processing section, HDMI, i.Link and none of the bass management bugs that the Sherwood appears to have.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you're looking at the Sherwood, I'd suggest you check out the Outlaw 990. It's based off the Sherwood, has more features, and costs less. That said, I'm a big fan of B&K equipment. The only issue there is that it doesn't offer a ton of newer features.

You might want to consider the Yamaha RX-V4600 receiver ($1800). It has excellent preamp outputs, plus a host of other features that are rarely found on pre-pros in its price class.

Edit: Gene, you beat me to it :p

R

Rich0372

Enthusiast
I heard yamha's are kind of bright sounding and not a good match for Klipsch I will check it out though Rich

S

smokey007

Audioholic Intern
look at the integra dtc 9.4. just came across it. theres a reveiw on it here. seems like a nice pre pro.

L

legacy

Enthusiast
I would worry too much about the Yamaha being "bright". There probably isn't too much too this.

If the significant distortion on the pre-outs, as the output voltage increases above >1.x, doesn't bother you then its probably the best pick. I think your amps achieve max output at 1.9 volts but have plenty of power so you may never encounter this issue. You will find this discussed in the audioholics review.

Of the others I would choose the outlaw (its cheap) or the arcam unit though I understand its hard to get a discount of of the $2200 msrp. I don't know if its the Wolfson dacs or just wishful thinking but some people seem highly impressed with its musical performance on avs. I believe it uses the same dsp as the outlaw previously mentioned which seems lacking compared to many receivers. The arcam has hdmi switching and outlaw dvi if this is important to you.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Rich0372, go for a demo and see which one you like.

R

Rich0372

Enthusiast
I can only demo the Rotel and B&k other 2 there's no dealers in my area :( Rich

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Then I would make a decision based on the products that you can demo, I would not buy anything in the dark. Have you looked at the Rotel RSP-1098 or is it out of the budget. Either way you will not be disapointed with any of the rotels.

A

aaazdaddy

Enthusiast
I, too am looking into a new receiver. Been waiting for HDMI

Trying to decide whether I want to pull the trigger on the RX-V4600 or wait for the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVI, or perhaps even the Denon AVR-4306. I currently have a Pioneer DV-59AVi (HDMI 1.0; waiting/hoping for a firmware upgrade from Pioneer to 1.1 :confused: ), along with my 61" Samsung DLP w/HDMI. Don't know how long i'll have to wait for the Denon or Pioneer...

Any input would be appreciated...

S

smokey007

Audioholic Intern
yes i guess it is. but really the only thing its missing is the pro logicIIx. i would still take a look at it. Might be a steal of a deal.

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
If you are looking just for a reciever I am currently demoing a NAD T773 AVR, and am pushing a full Klipsch surround setup. My Klipsch have never sounded better. the good thing about this amp is you get a whole lot of customizable options without the really big price tag of other top of the line AVR's. NAD's top seperates are around 3500.00 for the pair and that is a full 7.1 pre/pro and power amp. Just another place to look.

J

jakeman

Junior Audioholic
Of those choices while they all have different features the one feature which should be most important is sound quality. They all produce a good soundstage but the Arcam shines through in this regard. It provides that extra transparency and clarity which is why its often described as the most musical prepro out there. If other features are more important then you could go with the Yamaha but you would definitely be trading off some sound quality.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
I would worry too much about the Yamaha being "bright". There probably isn't too much too this.
Absolutely 100% correct There is nothing even remotely true about the newer generation amps in the RX-V series being bright or forward. I have the Flagship RF-7 series Klipsch speakers driven by a 4600 and have done several A/B comparisons between receivers with the system. The 1500,2500 and 4600 are just as neutral/warm sounding as any other receiver in their price class.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis