Pre/pro suggestions

ryanshaw3ball

ryanshaw3ball

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking for my first dabble in separates , already got my speakers and a upa-5, just looking for a relatively inexpensive pre/pro to run with them. I will mainly use it for 5 channel stereo but some blu-Ray movies as well. I guess I just need some advice on what exactly I need.

Thanks

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
What kind of budget you looking at? Cheap for some people is $5000, while other people say $800.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARAV8003B/Marantz/Av8003-Networking-Av-Preamp/processor/1.html

also, their AV7005 is going to be out soon if it isn't already...

-Integras are popular, although they seem more video oriented than audio oriented, whatever that may mean

+ I know there's a lot of venom towards the emotiva UMC-1 but to me it seems like it's something that's worth the "gamble" - if it works out for you, you've got a great product and if you find some firmware issues, emotiva will just take it back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another vote for the upcomping Marantz AV7005.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think your 5308 receiver still beat this new Marantz separate in audio specs, but it costs a lot more too.
The reason I got the Denon AVR-5308 was because I told myself I would simplify things and just get a single-box solution.:D

And now I will be using the AVR-5308 as a preamp for my 2Ch Direct mode music listening.

The actual 3rd party (HTM) measured spec for the AVR-5308 is FR 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.0dB, SNR 110dB, Crosstalk -92dB, THD 0.004%.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The reason I got the Denon AVR-5308 was because I told myself I would simplify things and just get a single-box solution.:D

And now I will be using the AVR-5308 as a preamp for my 2Ch Direct mode music listening.

The actual 3rd party (HTM) measured spec for the AVR-5308 is FR 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.0dB, SNR 110dB, Crosstalk -92dB, THD 0.004%.
Following are published specs in the 7005's manual, not 3rd party tested yet:

Audio section
• Analog
Frequency response: 10 Hz – 100 kHz — +1, –3 dB (DIRECT mode)
S/N: 105 dB (IHF–A weighted, DIRECT mode)
Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz ~ 20 kHz) (DIRECT mode)
• Digital
Total harmonic distortion — 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
S/N ratio — 102 dB
Dynamic range — 100 dB
Digital input: Format — Digital audio interface

This is just preamp, then you have to factor the power amp into the equation (additional THD, noise etc.):

MM7055
Rated power output
(from 20 Hz to 20 kHz/THD = 0.08 %,
two channels driven):
140 W/ch, 8 Ω
170 W/ch, 6 Ω
Maximum effective output power
(from 1 kHz, two channels driven):
210 W/ch, 6 Ω
Output bandwidth (8 Ω load, 0.09 %): 5 Hz – 40 kHz
Frequency response (1 W, 8 Ω): 8 Hz – 100 kHz (±3 dB)
Damping factor: 100
Input sensitivity/impedance: 1.2 V / 22 kΩ (UNBALANCED)
2.4 V / 30 kΩ (BALANCED)
Signal-to-noise ratio (IHF-A): 105 dB

Looking at these numbers I am probably going to hold on to my 4308 (also as preamp for 2 channel) a little longer and may be wait for the 4811. I will not go further than that though as I know my hearing sense is not above average.:D In your case I think you can spend all kinds of money to acquire new gear but in the end you will end up with things that are nice to look at, fun to play with, but your ears may not know the difference.

95prelude

Audioholic Intern
I just pre-ordered a Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro today. I'm in Canada so stock is just coming into Canada next week. ETA is 2 weeks is what my dealer told me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am probably going to hold on to my 4308 (also as preamp for 2 channel) a little longer and may be wait for the 4811.
I'm going to hold on to my 5308 as a 2Ch preamp.

I don't see how the 4811 will improve on the 4308 as a 2Ch preamp.

If the latest trend is any indication (Home Theater Mag), the 4308 probably has better measured specs than the 4811.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis