Pre/pro, Amplifiers, and AVR

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I've been reading a great deal on Home Audio equipment and have gotten a little conzused.

I don't understand exactly what a pre/pro is and if any amplification is done in the pre/pro. Is it an AVR with Pre-outs, XLR, or what?

Is there a good link on this site? can somebody help me out?

I understand the idea of an amplifier with XLR interconnects, but where does the pro/pro and AVR come in? I'd love a diagram! :confused:

Cheers
Dan

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
simple explanation

First let's start with AVR, that's short for Audio Visual Receiver. A receiver is a unit that handles all of the signal processing (audio and visual) and the amplification. Basically you have a pre/pro and an amplifier in one package. Think of a pre/pro as the processing portion of an AVR with out the amplifier section to power speakers. This how the signal would travel in the two different systems:

1. player>avr>speakers

2. player>pre/pro>amplifier>speakers

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
Thanks.

How about the XLR balanced interconnects between the pre/pro and the amp, does the pre/pro have xlr output?

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Some do, some don't

First, we need to clarify that XLR is just another way of connecting components. It is just designed differently than a RCA cable, in an effort to reduce ground loops. For a more technical explanation go here: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Balancedvsunbalanced.php

Now as to whether or not a pre/pro has XLR outputs…that depends. On the lower end models the answer is generally no, so you would just use a standard audio interconnect (think RCA.) However, once you start to get into the higher end items you will start to see XLR preouts on the pre/pros.

Preouts are outputs that are meant to go to amplifiers…for example the LFE output found on almost every AVR these days is a preout that then connects to the amplifier that powers the sub.

Now just to shake things up a bit you need to realize that higher end AVRs generally have preouts for all of their channels, which means you could hook them up to external amplifiers instead of using their own internal amplifiers, and thus you would be using your AVR like a pre/pro. But that’s another topic…

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent advice!

I use a receiver(AVR) for a pre-pro with a five-channel amp. This is one way to keep cost down. A mid-fi receiver(AVR) does a decent job as a pre-pro at a fraction of the cost. So, on a tight budget, you will have more money for other needed equipment! But, in most cases, a mid-fi receiver(AVR) will drive a HT well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis