Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
I can a Sony 2400es and the specs show the preout voltage is 150Mv/1kohm. I just got the anthem 325 power amp for my front 3 speakers. I will be getting the anthem 1140 down the road but for now would it be damaging anything on the power amp where the Sony got such a low perout voltage?
Screenshot_20221101-053123_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I can a Sony 2400es and the specs show the preout voltage is 150Mv/1kohm. I just got the anthem 325 power amp for my front 3 speakers. I will be getting the anthem 1140 down the road but for now would it be damaging anything on the power amp where the Sony got such a low perout voltage? View attachment 58393
I have cross checked that spec. and it seem to be correct. I have have never seen such a low pre out output voltage. You will not damage anything, but you will get a very low volume of sound from your speakers. If you want to use that anthem then you need to replace that receiver, or your power amp will not be any use to you.

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
I have cross checked that spec. and it seem to be correct. I have have never seen such a low pre out output voltage. You will not damage anything, but you will get a very low volume of sound from your speakers. If you want to use that anthem then you need to replace that receiver, or your power amp will not be any use to you.
Ya it is low forsure but I still hear a difference in sound forsure but ya have to turn the amp up and it still sounds clean and loud. Big difference in movies for sound also. Ya when I get the anthem 1140 then it will really shine but as long as I'm not damaging anything I'm good. Thanks

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
I guess that's why I didn't have to adjust the levels in the avr when I got the 325 hooked up. They were still at 78db from just the avr and the power amp. I thought that was strange but now I know.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess that's why I didn't have to adjust the levels in the avr when I got the 325 hooked up. They were still at 78db from just the avr and the power amp. I thought that was strange but now I know.
That 150 mv is not the pre out spec. It is "analog output" for you to connect to a recording devices etc., but not external power amplifier. The pre out specs are not given in the manual.

It the pre out spec was included, it would likely 1 V, 1.2 V or 2V.

For example, below is for the older DA4ES, 7ES and 333 ES, I have no idea why Sony stopped providing the pre out voltage for some of the newer AVRs, perhaps they were concerned that such specs might confuse people.

In the case of the DA4 ES, 7ES and 333 ES, the pre out specs show 2 V, with load impedance 1 kOhm, that is very good.

1667320797886.png

Typically speaking, when pre out voltage specs are provided, manufacturers don't specify the load conditions but a reasonably assumption is that it is the voltage needed to output the AVR's rated power output. For example, Yamah AVRs are often specified to have pre out voltage 1 V, but we all know they can output much higher, from 1.6 to well above 2.5 V as shown in many of Audioholics.com bench test.

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
That 150 mv is not the pre out spec. It is "analog output" for you to connect to a recording devices etc., but not external power amplifier. The pre out specs are not given in the manual.

For example, below is for the older DA4ES, 7ES and 333 ES, I have no idea why Sony stopped providing the pre out voltage for some of the newer AVRs, perhaps they were concerned that such specs might confuse people.

In the case of the DA4 ES, 7ES and 333 ES, the pre out specs show 2 V, with load impedance 1 kOhm, that is very good.

View attachment 58396

Typically speaking, when pre out voltage specs are provided, manufacturers don't specify the load conditions but a reasonably assumption is that it is the voltage needed to output the AVR's rated power output. For example, Yamah AVRs are often specified to have pre out voltage 1 V, but we all know they can output much higher, from 1.6 to well above 2.5 V as shown in many of Audioholics.com bench test.
Ok so maybe it's 2V

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern

View attachment 58396

So maybe it's 2V like the subwoofer one is? I am getting louder volume forsure but I guess where it's an older sony it's still holding it back?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So maybe it's 2V like the subwoofer one is? I am getting louder volume forsure but I guess where it's an older sony it's still holding it back?
That is a very reasonable assumption. Holding back what?

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
That is a very reasonable assumption. Holding back what?
I just thought it would of been louder . It is better forsure but I guess even better when I get the 1140 to pair with it

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just thought it would of been louder . It is better forsure but I guess even better when I get the 1140 to pair with it
It will not make it louder because the MCA325 power amp is 29 dB and that is about the same as the Sony AVR's gain. I don't actually have the gain spec for the 2400ES but most AVRs that I know have, do have gains in between 28 and 29 dB.

If you want it louder, just turn the volume up, adding power amps will do it, even if you replace your MCA325 with a 2,000 W rated McIntosh it will only be louder if you turn up the volume. To keep the volume the same, you can get a power amp with higher gain such as some Emotiva amps that have 32 dB gain, but that really serve no purpose. Anthem's 29 dB gain is very typical for class AB amps, nothing wrong with that at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I looked at your amp manual for it's sensitivity (which somewhat needs matching up with pre-out voltage) and it's a very reasonable 1.5V, so should be no worry at all in getting it's potential from your avr.

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
FWIW I looked at your amp manual for it's sensitivity (which somewhat needs matching up with pre-out voltage) and it's a very reasonable 1.5V, so should be no worry at all in getting it's potential from your avr.
Thank you very much

Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith

Audioholic Intern
It will not make it louder because the MCA325 power amp is 29 dB and that is about the same as the Sony AVR's gain. I don't actually have the gain spec for the 2400ES but most AVRs that I know have, do have gains in between 28 and 29 dB.

If you want it louder, just turn the volume up, adding power amps will do it, even if you replace your MCA325 with a 2,000 W rated McIntosh it will only be louder if you turn up the volume. To keep the volume the same, you can get a power amp with higher gain such as some Emotiva amps that have 32 dB gain, but that really serve no purpose. Anthem's 29 dB gain is very typical for class AB amps, nothing wrong with that at all.
Best answer ever. Want it louder turn the God Dame thing up hahahahha thank you very much for the info

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis