Powering a passive subwoofer, need help with setup

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
I have an older passive subwoofer, it's a 10 inch maybe 12 from Radio Shack (yes, many years ago) that still is in good shape and I have it connected with an amp and some bookshelf speakers in my garage. It works for good background sound will working there.
I read a post recently where someone powered their passive sub with a separate amp. I am not sure how this is done. I have an older Technics receiver (amp) that was just recently replaced so it is just sitting around waiting to work. Can someone please explain how I can add this Technics rec/amp and passive subwoofer to an existing HT setup so I will have an effective powered sub? :confused:

I understand that this will not be powered by the HT amp, am I correct?
:confused:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
How you do it is very easy with a surround receiver. You use the line level (RCA connection) subwoofer output on the surround receiver. You hook that up to the input of your extra amplifier. You hook up that extra amplifier to the unpowered subwoofer. If you have one, you use just one channel of the extra amplifier, and hook up nothing to the other channel. You hook up the main speakers to the main speaker connectors on the surround receiver.

Now, if your extra amplifier has a volume control, you will need to set it fairly high (you might want to try about half way up), and then, if the surround receiver has it, run the automatic setup on the surround receiver to get the levels right. If it has to adjust too far, you will need to readjust the volume control on the amplifier and rerun the automatic setup.

If you don't have an automatic setup for the surround receiver, then you need to set it the old-fashioned way, with an SPL meter to get the relative levels right.

Essentially, what this is doing is treating the extra amplifier and the unpowered subwoofer as if they were a powered subwoofer, as far as the surround receiver is concerned.

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your reply Prryho, but I am afraid I don't totally understand. I lost you when you mentioned hooking up the main speakers to the main speaker connectors on the surround receiver? Maybe if you could call the two receivers involved a-main (for the main theatre amp) and b-amp (for the passive sub amp)?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Why don't you tell us the exact models involved, and then the advice can be tailored to your specific gear?

The surround receiver to which I referred is the one that is not used to power the subwoofer; it is the main one being used for the surround system. The one I called the "extra amplifier" is the one that is used to power the subwoofer.

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
The 5.2 setup involves the following:

Pioneer SVC-07TX THX Elite receiver
Two Boston VR950 for mains
An Optimus CS1 center channel
Two Klipsch Quintets for rear surround
One Mirage FRX-S8 8" sub
One Velodyne CR80 8 " sub
The two subs are linked together using a RCA Y connector at the Receiver Sub out output.

My idea would be to add my older Radio Shack passive sub; 10 or 12 inch (?) using a Technics receiver SA-DX 750.
I am hoping to add more umph to the low end? Would I just add in another RCA Y adapter to the Pioneer receiver to connect the additional passive subwoofer?

Please explain how I would put this all together using the passive sub and the Technics receiver. Thanks.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, there is another issue that you did not ask about. It is better to get subwoofers that are all identical to each other, and it is better to get really good ones. A whole bunch of cheap subwoofers do not add up to equal performance with a good one or two. I recommend that you save up your money until you have $500 or more and buy an SVS subwoofer. Here is what I would buy for $500:

SVS PB-1000 - 300 Watt DSP Controlled, 10" Ported Subwoofer

That is a great subwoofer for that price. If you then want to upgrade, buy a second one.

As for your specific questions, you would use a Y or more than one Y connectors to split the subwoofer output signal (from your Pioneer receiver) to enable you to hook it up to all of your amplifiers used for powering subwoofers. With the idea of two passive and two powered subwoofers, you need to divide it into 4, so you would go from a Y to 2 other Y connectors, so that each of these goes to the amplifier driving each of the subwoofers. In the case of the Mirage and Velodyne [do you mean a CHT-8R or something else?], the amplifier is built in, so you plug one end of your Y to each of them, and in the case of the unpowered subwoofers, you are using the Technics receiver, so you would plug your other Y into a line level input (like the CD input, for example), and hook up the unpowered subwoofers to the main right and left channel speaker connections in the Technics. You would want to make sure all surround processing of the signal was off in the Technics. And you need to select on it the input to which you have hooked up the subwoofer line connection (e.g., CD if you plugged into the CD input). The volume control on the Technics would function like the level control in your powered subwoofers.

If you used 1 unpowered subwoofer, you would plug into one channel of the Technics, either the right or left, and then hook up the unpowered subwoofer to that main speaker channel output (either right or left; whichever channel you selected for inputting the signal). And in this case, you would only be needing 2 Y connectors for the line level subwoofer signal, as you are only dividing the signal into 3 instead of 4.

Again, I do not recommend that you run these different subwoofers together, and that instead you sell off the ones you have (if you can get a tolerable amount for them) and put your money into a really good subwoofer from SVS. I strongly recommend that you do not buy any more cheap subwoofers.

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
Sigh....I thought I had purchased some good subs when I purchased these two for a future small home theatre setup like this. I have the SVS sub that you mentioned in mind as well as this one from another vendor, HTD (HTD Level THREE Powered Subwoofer). They both fall under that magic $500 number we all seem to be looking for. You know, the one that gets spousal support.
Thanks for your help and advice Pyrrho.

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
I am happy to report that I was lucky enough this weekend and picked up a nearly new (pristine condition) SVS SB1000 from a person moving. :D
He had two in his original setup and was downsizing to a smaller room and no longer needed the second. His setup was perfect with a 5 way Mirage speaker system. I found it listed at $300 and jumped on it. What a difference it made! I have sold my wife on why I was searching for something with the specs of a sub described here in this forum. I guess I will be able to forego the powered sub to receiver project now that I have an adaquately powered room with the SD1000. :D
Thanks all for your suggestions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis