Powered Zone 2 stereo receiver options?

N

NonEntity

Enthusiast
After the untimely death of my old receiver (here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/90665-i-think-i-killed-my-receiver.html ) I am in the market for a new one. The system is purely for music, all of which will be streamed through a squeezebox touch. In particular, I want to power two sets of stereo speakers in two rooms and have the speaker wire run through the walls to permit this.

Aside from the squeezebox, I currently have a set of Polk Monitor 70 speakers and a Cadence 12" subwoofer. I have been fairly happy with the Polk's, though I do not have any exposure to other tower speakers and I understand they are not necessarily well regarded here. I will need to buy a second set of speakers and would consider upgrading the Polk's at the same time if they were a limiting factor.

Thus far, I have only found two receivers that appear to support a powered zone 2, the Yamaha R-S-700 and a Sherwood RX-5502. The Sherwood does not have a subwoofer out and the Yamaha does. They appear to have similar features other than that, but the fact the Yamaha costs three times as much leads me to believe (hope) it is a much better receiver. While it is neat when the subwoofer is rattling the pictures on the wall, I recognize it is not active too very often listening to music and my wife would be very happy not to have it in her living room any longer.

Are there any other options I should be considering? There are AVR's in the same $500 or less price range of Yamaha that also offer a powered zone 2. I do not need AM/FM, so if there was an amplifier that would do a better job or cost less money I would easily consider that option as well. The Onkyo 8050 costs half of what the Yamaha costs, is there a way to run those in a series and would that be a better option (one receiver per set of speakers)? Is the Sherwood the deal of the year at $160 and I should be buying one instead of typing?

I would like to keep the receiver purchase to $500 or less. I am hoping to negotiate $1000 for the speaker/receiver budget and the less I spend on the receiver the more I can spend on a second set of towers. The Yamaha does not appear to have been discussed on this forum very much and the Sherwood not at all.

If it matters, my music runs the gamut from bluegrass to folk, to classical to classic rock to heavy metal, but it leans heavily towards the heavy metal end of things. Thank you for any input, there seems to be a lot less information on stereo receivers than there is on AVRs.

Adding: I do not foresee a need for the two sets of speakers to run two separate sources; however, it would be great if I had independent volume control and on/off control over the two sets of speakers.

Last edited:
N

NonEntity

Enthusiast
OK, the more I have read it appears the Yamaha does NOT play to two rooms at once without another amplifier. Sherwood does not appear to have a great reputation and the THD rating on their model looks much worse than others. Is there a quality manufacture stereo receiver or integrated amplifier that will power speakers in two room at once, playing the same music from the same source?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. There are a number of receivers that have a powered second zone. The Onkyo TX-NR626 and Denon AVR-E400 from last year (so, should start getting a little cheaper now that new models are coming out) have that, for example.

If adjusting the volume independently (without a separate volume control, like a wall dial in the second room) isn't overly important, you could also look into any receiver with a A/B speaker capability, since you are interested in playing the same source in both areas.

J

jotham

Audioholic
After the untimely death of my old receiver (here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/90665-i-think-i-killed-my-receiver.html ) I am in the market for a new one. The system is purely for music, all of which will be streamed through a squeezebox touch. In particular, I want to power two sets of stereo speakers in two rooms and have the speaker wire run through the walls to permit this.

Aside from the squeezebox, I currently have a set of Polk Monitor 70 speakers and a Cadence 12" subwoofer. I have been fairly happy with the Polk's, though I do not have any exposure to other tower speakers and I understand they are not necessarily well regarded here. I will need to buy a second set of speakers and would consider upgrading the Polk's at the same time if they were a limiting factor.

Thus far, I have only found two receivers that appear to support a powered zone 2, the Yamaha R-S-700 and a Sherwood RX-5502. The Sherwood does not have a subwoofer out and the Yamaha does. They appear to have similar features other than that, but the fact the Yamaha costs three times as much leads me to believe (hope) it is a much better receiver. While it is neat when the subwoofer is rattling the pictures on the wall, I recognize it is not active too very often listening to music and my wife would be very happy not to have it in her living room any longer.

Are there any other options I should be considering? There are AVR's in the same $500 or less price range of Yamaha that also offer a powered zone 2. I do not need AM/FM, so if there was an amplifier that would do a better job or cost less money I would easily consider that option as well. The Onkyo 8050 costs half of what the Yamaha costs, is there a way to run those in a series and would that be a better option (one receiver per set of speakers)? Is the Sherwood the deal of the year at $160 and I should be buying one instead of typing?

I would like to keep the receiver purchase to $500 or less. I am hoping to negotiate $1000 for the speaker/receiver budget and the less I spend on the receiver the more I can spend on a second set of towers. The Yamaha does not appear to have been discussed on this forum very much and the Sherwood not at all.

If it matters, my music runs the gamut from bluegrass to folk, to classical to classic rock to heavy metal, but it leans heavily towards the heavy metal end of things. Thank you for any input, there seems to be a lot less information on stereo receivers than there is on AVRs.

Adding: I do not foresee a need for the two sets of speakers to run two separate sources; however, it would be great if I had independent volume control and on/off control over the two sets of speakers.

While you can certainly do what you are discussing, that's not the way I've chosen to do it. For maximum flexibility, I prefer separate receiver/speaker systems.
You could purchase a Squeezebox Classic V3 on ebay. Then set up the two squeezebox to sync. Use your iphone/android to control both. The volume could be handled separately, you could play them in sync or not. I'm not sure if your music is coming from the Touch or from a server but I'm suspect the Classic could maybe pull music from the Touch.

Logitech Slim Devices Squeezebox Classic V3 Streaming WiFi Music Internet RA | eBay

Also, if you are just playing music from the Squeezebox, then you can use the volume control on the Squeezebox which enables you to to use 2-channel amplifiers instead of a receiver. A receiver is mainly for multiple sources or home theater.

In summary, rather than running speakers wires to separate rooms, just have two separate systems with the Squeezeboxes enabling the coordination. This will also easily allow people to do watch/listen to different things in the different rooms. That can be done with a zone 2 setup but it's much trickier.

<edit> I just read your other post and I feel your pain. I'm sure you can figure out the wiring issues and it may end up being a cleaner look. I still have to say that I prefer seperate setups for simplicity and just run the necessary speaker wires either under the carpet or behind the wall trim. Remember, if you go with a zone 2 setup and you want to control your receiver in the other room then your remote control will have to be a phone or you'll have to run Infra-Red controls. Another reason why the two system setup is simpler.

good luck!

Jotham
P.S. If you decide to go the one receiver route, then use an external stereo amp to handle the power to the second room. Something that turns on automatically like these:
AudioSource AMP100 2-Ch Source Switching Power Amplifier
Amazon.com: Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier (Black): Electronics

Last edited:
N

NonEntity

Enthusiast
I appreciate the input. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with the two squeezeboxes. This seemed at first glance like a cheaper option but it has been a bigger headache. Thank you for the suggestions on power amplifiers. I did buy a Yamaha R-S700 and the Polk Monitors have never sounded better (which could be switching from carpet to vinyl plank flooring). I got a pair of Pioneer FS-52 speakers for the second room for Father's Day since they were so inexpensive. I am not going to try running them both at once, though, until I get a second amp.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis