Powered Cylinder SUBS??

C

cka69335

Enthusiast
Does anyone own one of these subs, that can inform me about the pos and cons.

I'm going to get rid of my Polk and upgrade to a SVS sub :D, however I see that they have a Cylinder sub, and wanted to know which is better and why. From the looks of the dimensions I definitely have the room to accommodate one (If I chose that route). I would like to know is a cylinder sub better than a traditional "box" sub.

Thanks for your help:cool:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I own the SVS 20-39 PC+ and it's awesome, it blows my old Velodyne DLS-3750R away. As far as cylinder vs. box, its really a personal preference, performance is the same, it just boils down to asthetics, and how much floorspace you want to sacrafice. Plus the cylinders weigh less, so they cost less to ship.

More on cylider vs. box can be read here http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#cylinderorbox

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep that is pretty much it. They are obviously taller, but they take up a lot less floor space. My sub is larger than the largest SVS cylinder and after a while it just sort of blends in and you don't notice it so much anymore (not that it ever bothered me).

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Its too bad the port is on the top you could get 2 small ones and use them as rear speaker stands.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

A cylinder has several advantages. First, the shape is very efficient- a box will want to flex under pressure, essentially trying to bow out into a cylinder. Since the walls of a tube are already in the most "efficient" shape there's nowhere for them to expand to. A tube will then be very rigid and no bracing is needed (although the endcaps can still flex).

Secondly a tube is very cheap to build vs MDF & veneer. This should result in a cheaper sub, assuming the Mfg'er passes the savings along.

Often a tube sub can be tuned to a lower frequency than is practical with a box. To tune a sub to, say, 20 hz may require a port that's over a yard long. This would require a box to be enormous and extremely heavy, but a tall, relatively skinny sonotube can accomodate a very long port while maintaining a manageable weight.

Lastly a tube sub is lighter than a box with the same volume. This makes it not only cheaper to ship (as was stated) but easier to move.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a PC-Ultra (SVS cylinder sub) on pre-order. I went back and forth for over a year on getting a cylinder or a box. In the end, a couple things swayed me to the cylinder. As has been mentioned, they are lighter, and I'd rather try to move an 80-pound cylinder than a 155-pound box. They are cheaper, although not by much. Also, I have a box sub, and part of me just wants to try something different. I have to say, though, that the wood finishes on the box subs look so much nicer in the photos than the cloth tube.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Cylinder Pros:
It's not a box

Cylinder Cons:
It's not a box

Seriously though, people talk about saving floor space, but you don't save much. And the cylinder is still MASSIVE, i wasn't ready for mine. You limit yourself with placement options with a cylinder to corners. It is different though and a nice conversation piece, but you better like black. They're downfiring, protecting the woofer.

Boxes are also massive, but come in different finishes, making placing them easier as you're not limited to hiding it in the corner.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
16" cylinder takes up less floor space than even the PB-10 which has a 21x19" footprint - my 15" sub takes up less floor space than that... It isn't saving you VAST amounts of space yes. The only box that wins is the SB-12 Plus.

You are not limited to corners...though corners do tend to be more likely.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Does anyone own one of these subs, that can inform me about the pos and cons.

I'm going to get rid of my Polk and upgrade to a SVS sub :D, however I see that they have a Cylinder sub, and wanted to know which is better and why. From the looks of the dimensions I definitely have the room to accommodate one (If I chose that route). I would like to know is a cylinder sub better than a traditional "box" sub.
Thanks for your help:cool:
I have never heard a cylinder sub, however it certainly could be a conversation starter. People come into my living room, notice my bass traps and say "what unusual speakers, what kind are they?"

Nick

RMarsh83

RMarsh83

Audioholic Intern
I just ordered the SVS 16-46 PC-Plus (B stock, saved about $80) for floor space, bass extension, weight and price. Also, shipping is only $30 or so. It's about half the weight of the SVS box sub with similar performance, the 46" port is much more efficient in the low bass and it takes much less floor space than the PB12-Plus (450 square inches for the box, 201 for the cylinder). The ultra also looks great, but at $1400 (including shipping, compared to $900 shipped for the b-stock 16-46) I think I'll wait till I have a bigger apartment to upgrade. The box seems to be flatter above 100Hz, but if you set the crossover to 80Hz as is usually recommended, that's not much of an issue.

From the SVS website: "The closely related [to the PB12-Plus line] PC-Plus line of cylinder subs remain the price/performance leaders in this class, but if a box form factor, wood or gloss finishes are your thing, and you demand world-class performance, this is your sub."

Last edited:
R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Everyone pretty much has it covered. True, you can't get the fancy wood finishes like you can with a box, but a cylinder sub is almost ALWAYS a conversation starter! Be sure to run it by the wife first...there's no masking a cylinder sub as an end table! ;)

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I have the 25-31 PC plus. I love the look of it more than I thought. My wife even thinks it looks cool. I have it in the corner formed by our sectional and the wall. It fits perfectly there and more importantly, everyone can see it when they walk in:D

Pat

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis