Bob Leonard

Bob Leonard

Junior Audioholic
I own a Classe CAV-75 amplifier. The amplifiers power ratting are 75 Watts per channel. I have always thought that it is “better” to have more power. I have owned in the past amplifiers with more than double the power of my Classe CAV-75. This amplifier is as dynamic, and will play as loud as the more powerful amplifiers. My speakers have a nominal impendence of 5 OHMS, and are 90 db. efficiency. Why is there an “arms race’” for more power from the manufacturers?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Because it's good for sales. It gives the muggles a simple metric to use when gauging performance. Granted, it alone is useless but it makes them feel better, not unlike horsepower in cars..

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Because it's good for sales. It gives the muggles a simple metric to use when gauging performance. Granted, it alone is useless but it makes them feel better, not unlike horsepower in cars..
Especially when torque is really the more important gauge of the ability of an engine or motor to do work.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's "quoted" power and what it actually delivers. If you took the same measurement of some current units and your old one, they probably realistically deliver similar power. Manufacturers want to say "150W" because that's what people who don't know anything about a receiver/amp look at first. Doesn't matter if it is real, only that they can claim it (see the fine print...downhill on a windy day if lightning strikes).

How much power you NEED is also a totally different story for every situation. 75 actual, real watts is likely enough in most cases.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only 3dB difference between the 75w and 150w amps, so not surprising your 75w amp plays (almost) as loud as the 150w amp....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Because it's good for sales.
Yep. All about the Benjamin's. :D

More power (100W --> 125W), more video resolution (1080p --> 4K ---> 8K), more features (ATMOS, DTS:X), more generations (B&W D1 --> D2 ---> D3 ---> D4), more money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis