Power Ratings in Modern AVR's

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I do hope it is not too late for this thread, because it's May already. My burning question is, which model did you purchased from Yamaha? I'm also very curious if you ever have tried to change your settings with your Marantz SR6011 manually from 4 or 6 to 8 Ohm? ? ? How where the default (Ohm) settings from your Marantz?
Respectfully, Mr. Dutchie
Verdinut is right, the default setting is 8 ohms. You can see how to check on page 35 of the manual.

I just bought a 6011 and I gotta say, I'm very happy with it. Audyssey has always done wonders for my room.

I also have 3 SVS Ultra bs as my front stage. Everything sounds awesome.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
hi Halon451 here is my opinion

how do they market their products we wonder? they drive one speaker of 2 ohms at a certain khz in a 1.5% thd. what else can make the number bigger, i dunno. i agree with your assumption of containing cost by sacrificing amplifier stages. its just marketing those numbers look huge on banners.

you might have the same schooling as their engineers but they apply it to bend reality oooh. you're right it does lead to more questions but only a person smart enough to ask them usually does. some of the answers are in the owner's manual.

the marantz sr-6011 is a hell of a purchase. best buy has some spooky math though. maybe it's one speaker of 2 ohms at 1.5% thd? that number should be way up there right?!

yeah, what power are we all getting to our speakers? my avr lists 85 wpc and it doesn't give any signs of strain. did they underrate it? the number is low but it has pre-outs just in case i wanted more power.

apple and oranges right?! if you are getting unsatisfactory results from audyssey then do not use it. why would you let a machine tell you what sounds good? i like adjusting things on my own. i was getting the same thin sound as you. i adjusted a few things and then it sounded much better. i turned off the dolby volume, turned on hdmi bypass, and changed speaker sizes/crossover. i also changed a couple of things on my blu-ray player. i basically made things more simple.

the marantz website will be like any other, full of marketing. i have not called their tech department but i'm sure that should be an interesting conversation.

second from their flagship is way up there. did you expect too much, maybe. did you spend more than you wanted to, maybe. buyer's remorse, maybe. it took me two weeks for me to adjust mine. i tried one thing at a time and boom, i was happy. mental note, i need to write down all my settings.

i agree with the weight. i know digital amps weigh less but with an avr, the fatter it is-the better. the power supply is my main question. without a big power supply, where is the amp going to get juice from? are power supplies that expensive? i look at an amp and compared to an avr, the sizes is interesting.

supercharged on strong coffee? gevalia? right now it sounds like you regret your purchase. i would adjust all the things you can. there must be something that will make a difference. at the end of the day, if you are not happy with it then i would sell it, return it, or even trade it with someone. that's what i would do.

the excess channels of an avr. on my avr i can turn on/off speakers. i had my center on and all others off, except my fr and rl, i had then turned down to 0. the center sounded much stronger by itself. as i turned on the others, the strength went away little by little. i tried this with the other speakers and got the same result. does the extra power go to the channels that are on? i dunno but it sounds like it to me.

Sharp LC-60LE632U
HK AVR 3600
Def Tech BP 2004 TL
Def Tech CLR 2002
Def Tech BP2X
AudioSource SW Fifteen
room size 15d 17w 10h

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis