R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Hope I’m not in the wrong spot but looking for some advice. My mother’s CPAP shows various hours every night when they should be consistent.

Previously, aside of that, she was having issues with her older Panny plasma flickering on and off during viewing. I was not aware of the CPAP issue at the time and just figured after 9 years the Panny was cashing out (note…she has AT&T for tv and internet if that raises a flag for anyone….I’d die before ever paying those lying bastards another dime…but different story for another day.).

I replaced the Panny for her with a new LG but her picture issues persist. She’s also had her AT&T equipment replaced since I did the TV. I’m wondering if she’s having power spike/drops in her condo and if a power conditioner might help? All of her AT&T equipment is in the same room with the CPAP. Only thing I wouldn’t be able to get plugged into it would be the TV which I don’t think is the issue.

I have all my home theatre equipment running through an older APC H-10 and I’ve noted, particularly since COVID and my “office” being in my man cave that it frequently bumps or lowers power as needed throughout the day. For the cost of trying this rather than having an electrician come out for even more coin just to say theres a problem with the power flow to the place…..worth the money??

I know the opinions on them vary from “God’s gift to electronics” down to “snake oil”….just looking for some opinions.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hope I’m not in the wrong spot but looking for some advice. My mother’s CPAP shows various hours every night when they should be consistent.

Previously, aside of that, she was having issues with her older Panny plasma flickering on and off during viewing. I was not aware of the CPAP issue at the time and just figured after 9 years the Panny was cashing out (note…she has AT&T for tv and internet if that raises a flag for anyone….I’d die before ever paying those lying bastards another dime…but different story for another day.).

I replaced the Panny for her with a new LG but her picture issues persist. She’s also had her AT&T equipment replaced since I did the TV. I’m wondering if she’s having power spike/drops in her condo and if a power conditioner might help? All of her AT&T equipment is in the same room with the CPAP. Only thing I wouldn’t be able to get plugged into it would be the TV which I don’t think is the issue.

I have all my home theatre equipment running through an older APC H-10 and I’ve noted, particularly since COVID and my “office” being in my man cave that it frequently bumps or lowers power as needed throughout the day. For the cost of trying this rather than having an electrician come out for even more coin just to say theres a problem with the power flow to the place…..worth the money??

I know the opinions on them vary from “God’s gift to electronics” down to “snake oil”….just looking for some opinions.
It does suggest there may be a power problem in the building. If that is so, it should be tracked down and remedied, as it could well be a dangerous fire hazard.
A UPS would probably solve the problem as it would have battery backup. However that is correction after the fact. An unstable electric supply is NOT something that should go unaddressed. The problem is almost certainly in the building, as power companies are seldom responsible for these sorts of problems, and if they are they sure appreciate knowing about them. It is up to you whether you start with the Condo complex of your unit, or the power company. Power companies are usually very helpful with these issues. Either way, if I were you, I would get to the bottom of it ASAP, as you might prevent a tragedy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might just start with a meter (even something as simple as a kill-a-watt type device) to test your outlets to see what you're actually dealing with rather than guessing....personally have never found a use for a power conditioner, tho.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Thanks for the advice guys…..much appreciated. It’s nice to be back here. I was around much more about 15 years ago when I was building my home theatre system, quirky as it is…Panny 65 ZT60, the Sherwood R970 with the Trinnov room correction, Athena AS-2.2 all the way around, an outboard 5 channel Emotiva amp (forget the model) and a nice SVS 15” cylinder sub.
Unlike most, I’m not one to tinker once I’ve found what I like so I kinda vanished from here.
Now I’m on TV mission. Wife wants something larger for the living room (no worries…keeping the Panny to the day it dies in my theatre system). Crazy how things have changed over the years. Plasma was king back then and I got the king of the pack. I have about a $1700 or so budget and the room is small enough to barely need more than my 65” (now considered mid-size! Lol). So I figure I have room for quality over size.

you’ll see me around the Tv/display section….likely with questions.
Good to see this forum is still filled with people willing to give an honest and friendly opinion.
PS- just fyi…I think there’s wiring problems in the building from some other things she told me. Will be looking into that no matter what.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the advice guys…..much appreciated. It’s nice to be back here. I was around much more about 15 years ago when I was building my home theatre system, quirky as it is…Panny 65 ZT60, the Sherwood R970 with the Trinnov room correction, Athena AS-2.2 all the way around, an outboard 5 channel Emotiva amp (forget the model) and a nice SVS 15” cylinder sub.
Unlike most, I’m not one to tinker once I’ve found what I like so I kinda vanished from here.
Now I’m on TV mission. Wife wants something larger for the living room (no worries…keeping the Panny to the day it dies in my theatre system). Crazy how things have changed over the years. Plasma was king back then and I got the king of the pack. I have about a $1700 or so budget and the room is small enough to barely need more than my 65” (now considered mid-size! Lol). So I figure I have room for quality over size.

you’ll see me around the Tv/display section….likely with questions.
Good to see this forum is still filled with people willing to give an honest and friendly opinion.
PS- just fyi…I think there’s wiring problems in the building from some other things she told me. Will be looking into that no matter what.
If you want quality as good, or actually slightly better than the Panasonic you have then you need OLED. The choice then becomes between Sony and LG. Both make 65" OLED screens and a little bigger. I would not advise LED TVs, if you are used to Plasma TVs.

I also have a couple of Panasonic plasma TVs. In the theater I have a 77" LG OLED TV that I have been very happy with for three years now.

This LG 65" OLED comes out just within your budget.

The Sony Bravia is also in your budget. I can't find it at Best Buy. Personally I am reluctant to by something as fragile as a TV on line. I don't think it matters if you buy the LG or Sony. LG make the screens any way.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Panny plasma flickering on and off during viewing.
Is the picture pixilated [ square blocks ] when it drops out, or it it a complete dropout [black screen] I think that it my well be a signal problem rather then a power supply problem. Power supplies do have some leanacy when it comes to voltage variation, or it could simply be a problem when the power supply has been running for a while and brakes down when it heats up. In which case it would happen all the time. I would be checking out your antenna connections, does the problem carry over to another TV receiver, or is that OK

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis