H

Halla

Audioholic Intern
Please help
Two questions 1.) Is a yamaha rxv 2500 a good enough pre amp for a Plinius P10?
2.) Hardware wise - what is a good speaker match for Plinius P10?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Please help
Two questions 1.) Is a yamaha rxv 2500 a good enough pre amp for a Plinius P10?
2.) Hardware wise - what is a good speaker match for Plinius P10?
I have no idea what you are trying to do.

The Plinius is certainly not the last word in amps by spec. It increases power into four ohms by 50% and not double.

However if it is respectable you can audition speakers and choose what you want. Any decent amp will not change the sound of your system, but speakers will.

That Yamaha is older and specs are far from complete. If you are going to use it for A/V, you need a unit that decodes the new loss less codecs.

H

Halla

Audioholic Intern

The Plinius is certainly not the last word in amps by spec. It increases power into four ohms by 50% and not double.

However if it is respectable you can audition speakers and choose what you want. Any decent amp will not change the sound of your system, but speakers will.

That Yamaha is older and specs are far from complete. If you are going to use it for A/V, you need a unit that decodes the new loss less codecs.
TLS Guy

Thank you for your reply.

My main objective is to find a descent speaker match for my Plinius P10. I have used Jamo E855 with the Yamaha Rxv2500 - then i added the Plinius P10, but with no significant improvement to sound. Most people say my speakers (Jamo E855) is not the right match for the Plinius P10 - that is why I am asking what speaker set might be a good match?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for your reply.

My main objective is to find a descent speaker match for my Plinius P10. I have used Jamo E855 with the Yamaha Rxv2500 - then i added the Plinius P10, but with no significant improvement to sound. Most people say my speakers (Jamo E855) is not the right match for the Plinius P10 - that is why I am asking what speaker set might be a good match?
Amps unless they are really bad will not change the sound of your system.

On sites other than this one, you will receive a lot of wrong and misleading advice.

This is not a site that will not extol funny wire and other tweaks. You will get straight up advice.

Loudspeakers and their interaction with the room are totally dominant in the sound of your system.

So lets get this straight, you don't like the sound of the speakers you mention.

Now you have to go out and carefully find ones you do. The fact you have a Plinius amp is irrelevant to your quest.

Next issue, the vast majority of speakers are dreadful and in all cases are the limiting choke point to perfection.

Next, data and measurement matter. I don't care what anybody says, but a speaker that does not measure well, will not sound good, although unfortunately one that measures well, may not sound as good as it measures. Manufacturers data and measurements in most cases are not to be trusted.

Unfortunately good third party data for the vast majority of speakers is not available. You need to search for it though. That helps you get rid of ones to not give time of day to.

For the rest its the expenditure of shoe leather. Unfortunately though very few speakers are available to listen to in most parts of the country. This makes the quest very difficult. So, nest question: - what is available to audition in your area?

Next a budget for new speakers is important to know.

If it is classical music you are listening to, your search is even more difficult, and the speakers that can satisfy in this area are very small.

B

BAJANX

Audiophyte

I need someone to please help me solve a long nagging problem .
There is a SERIOUS HUM coming through my speakers as i move the volume on my pre amp. i got a HUM-X and plugged the Monster cable Pro 3500 into it and then plug it into the wall . still the HUM.

B

BAJANX

Audiophyte
I need help with this long nagging problem that i cannot elimate . There is a serious HUM coming through my speakers as i moved the volume knob on my Pre amp McIntosh C36 . My amp is McIntosh 2105 . All my equipment is plugged into a Monster cable pro 3500 which is plugged into a HUM-X , still the hum is there .

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I need help with this long nagging problem that i cannot elimate . There is a serious HUM coming through my speakers as i moved the volume knob on my Pre amp McIntosh C36 . My amp is McIntosh 2105 . All my equipment is plugged into a Monster cable pro 3500 which is plugged into a HUM-X , still the hum is there .
Sounds like a ground loop for sure. Only other possibility would be a board failure of some kind the ground loop is far more likely.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would start by illuminating pieces in the chain to determine which component or cable is causing the hum. More than likely it's going to be before the amp since the hum is relative to the preamplifier. Try swapping the preamp out to amp in cables with something else.

TLS Guy said:
The fact you have a Plinius amp is irrelevant to your quest.
Mostly irrelevant, unless he chooses Magnepan or ESLs, then it's very relevant.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

By chance you have cable TV somehow, someplace connected to there is a path to the audio preamp? Like perhaps the TV audio into the preamp?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I answered you last night when you posted on another thread. Your Hum-X is bogus and a waste of time.

We need to know your whole system in detail, especially any cable/sat phone connections. Also we need to know which units have two pin, and which three pin.

I would make one comment that in general and pre amp and a power amp should not both be grounded.

If you preamp and power amp both have three pin plugs, then the ground of the power amp should be lifted with a "cheater" plug.

But please post your system connections on the greatest detail, then we can help you. These problems are always solvable.

What you have to understand is that these problems are always caused by a potential between grounds.

highfigh

highfigh

I need someone to please help me solve a long nagging problem .
There is a SERIOUS HUM coming through my speakers as i move the volume on my pre amp. i got a HUM-X and plugged the Monster cable Pro 3500 into it and then plug it into the wall . still the HUM.
Start your own thread for this- it has nothing to do with what the original poster is asking.

highfigh

highfigh

I answered you last night when you posted on another thread. Your Hum-X is bogus and a waste of time.

We need to know your whole system in detail, especially any cable/sat phone connections. Also we need to know which units have two pin, and which three pin.

I would make one comment that in general and pre amp and a power amp should not both be grounded.

If you preamp and power amp both have three pin plugs, then the ground of the power amp should be lifted with a "cheater" plug.

But please post your system connections on the greatest detail, then we can help you. These problems are always solvable.

What you have to understand is that these problems are always caused by a potential between grounds.
The Hum-X is not bogus, it's an isolation transformer and that's the only way to isloate one piece of equipment from another and comply with the NEC. I'm sure you know that lifting the ground on the power cord is a violation.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The Hum-X is not bogus, it's an isolation transformer and that's the only way to isloate one piece of equipment from another and comply with the NEC. I'm sure you know that lifting the ground on the power cord is a violation.
Not if you were Peter Walker.

His power amp cord where three pin to his power amps, but the ground pins were not connected! That ended this nonsense.

I only ground pre amps, never power amps, violation or not. All professionals I know do the same thing.

highfigh

highfigh

Not if you were Peter Walker.

His power amp cord where three pin to his power amps, but the ground pins were not connected! That ended this nonsense.

I only ground pre amps, never power amps, violation or not. All professionals I know do the same thing.
Whether his grounding pin was connected doesn't matter- the problem is when the grounding pin is lifted by someone who read that it's a good way to eliminate a ground loop and teh chassis is hot, for some reason. The shock hazard is measurable and people have died because of this. Many musicians who use instrument amplifiers from before the mid-'60s have either been shocked or know someone who was shocked when an amp's ground switch was in the wrong position, relative to the PA or other equipment and the amp had a two-wire power cord. Once the power cord is replaced by a three-wire version and the amp is properly grounded, the risk is greatly reduced.

BTW- the "ground lift" adapters weren't originally made for lifting the ground and if you look at most, they either have a small tab or a green wire that's supposed to be screwed to the electrical box or ground tab on the receptacle. They were made so a grounded power cord could be plugged into an ungrounded receptacle without pulling the ground pin. The fact that they lift the the ground is coincidental.

The grounding scheme of a system is something that needs to be addressed by the NEC, IMO. They care about safety, which is fine, but at some point they have to think a little about the equipment's performance WRT grounding problems. Lifting the shield from one end (the far end) can eliminate the ground loop just as well as lifting the grounding pin and a lot of pro audio gear has a switch for lifting pin 1.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The grounding scheme of a system is something that needs to be addressed by the NEC, IMO. They care about safety, which is fine, but at some point they have to think a little about the equipment's performance WRT grounding problems.
That has always been the problem. The NEC being Insurance Company driven and solely concerned with safety and not performace.
I guess then we'd have a code book the thickness of War and Peace.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis