Power Amp that runs cool or has quiet fans

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I've been researching for a 2 channel power amp with specs like 300+wpc at 8ohms to run my Klipsch RF-7's. I don't neccesarily want to go with any type of tube amp as I would find that hard to get repaired where I live.

Are there any suggestions for a good quality modern amp for home use that runs cool or has quiet fans? I was looking at an older Carver amp but I understand it was a commercial version and the fans were not the quietest. I don't know if I would be able to hear the fans over the volume of the music though. I take it that a good quality amp of the wattage I want would probably generate some high heat so I realize that some noise from fans is realistic.

I want to spend no more than $1000 and would even consider a nice used unit. Some of the brands I've looked at were Carver, Krell and Bryston but I think those are probably the older and possibly tube type amps. Sometimes you can find deals on used ones when people are either tired of them, want to downsize or maybe they inheritied them and didn't realize what they had. I don't have space for monoral amps so it has to be at least a 2 channel unit. Thanks for any advice.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My Sunfire runs pretty cool and there are a few hanging around Audiogon

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
My Emotiva XPA-5 runs VERY cool!!
Even when cranked up for a while. Thats the only amp i can comment on.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
My Emotiva XPA-5 runs VERY cool!!
Even when cranked up for a while. Thats the only amp i can comment on.
I had looked at the XPA-2 which delivers 300wpc @ 8ohms which is the minimum that i wanted but would rather a bit more if something else was in my price range.

The XPA-5 only delivers 200wpc @ 8ohms. Is it possible to bridge the channels for a higher wpc into just 2 channels? Does this method put extra pressure on the amp or cause it to run hotter?

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Would a Yamaha P3500S fit your needs?

Steve
Thanks. yeah, I've also looked at a few DJ/club type amps too like a Crown and Behringer. I really hadn't come across these Yamaha's but it looks like a very powerful unit that could lead to more investigation. Thanks again.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I know this is a bit above the budget you mentioned but you should also look at these amps.

ATI amps are designed and assembled in the USA and are also the manufacturer for other high end companies. They have a big presence on audiogon and now have a new site for their B-stock which still have a full warrenty: http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/ati-at3002-two-channel-x-300-watt-amplifier-b-stock-120-v.html
Some great units, wow! I'm not sure if I have the space in my stand to house that beast though. This AV stuff is getting addictive. I might have to find a rack too! Thanks for the suggestion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It appears that adk highlander and I are the ATI fanboys around here.:D

I love my ATI AT3005, AT3002, and AT6012 amps.

And if I ever need another amp in the future, I would get ATI amps.:D

But they do cost a lot more than Emotiva amps.

What about these Denon Monoblock amps:

265 WATTS / CHANNEL INTO 8 OHMS
450 WATTS / CHANNEL INTO 4 OHMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-POA-6600A-PAIR-MONO-POWER-AMPLIFIERS-EXCELLENT-/260829643607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbaa88357

ATI 200WPC x 2Ch for $1495 + S/H:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1316801644

I would email Classic Audio Parts and see if they would sell for $1295 + S/H. You never know.

Parasound 250WPC x 2Ch for $1,349:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2250

I don't think you need an amp, though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How about double XPA-1? Thou it's doubling your budget, which I get the feeling you'll be busting anyways.

The only way imo to get 500x2wpc under $1000 is going commercial and they typically loud due to fan.
Now many people bought commercial units and changed the fan to quite one.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Thanks. yeah, I've also looked at a few DJ/club type amps too like a Crown and Behringer. I really hadn't come across these Yamaha's but it looks like a very powerful unit that could lead to more investigation. Thanks again.
They really seem to be a good amp, great value $ wise and I'm surprised many more don't use them. They also don't seem to have a problem with loud fan noise (if they ever do come on) that other units might have. Here's a thread I found with more details, http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63733

Steve

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks all. These are some good selections for me to look into.

I just ruined this month's budget for the amp by finding a black ash RC-64II center speaker for my HT system. I was wanting an RC-7 but someone mentioned this would match my other stuff too. Oh well, just pulled the trigger on it so, there's always next month!.....and this gives me more time to mull over all of these great amp choices too. ;)

I need to look further into these S-converter cables that some of these units may need.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I've been researching for a 2 channel power amp with specs like 300+wpc at 8ohms to run my Klipsch RF-7's.
WHY??? With a 101 dB sensitivity rating, those speakers are super-efficient. I’ll leave it to our members who are more mathematically inclined to give a precise figure, but I expect that you can drive those speakers to ear-bleeding levels with a mere 50-watt amp - with headroom to spare!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
WHY??? With a 101 dB sensitivity rating, those speakers are super-efficient. I’ll leave it to our members who are more mathematically inclined to give a precise figure, but I expect that you can drive those speakers to ear-bleeding levels with a mere 50-watt amp - with headroom to spare!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Dunno, I got into this audio stuff and I'm like a kid in a candy store. I see, I want! I haven't even come close to rattling the dishes or breaking any glasses yet so I figured I have to go louder. :confused:

I probably better layoff until my sub and center get here and I can hook them up and enjoy just movies for awhile. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You might want to look into one of these http://www.abamps.com/amplifiers.html#1400-2 great reliable amps. I have owned some of their older models over the years, come to think of it I own 2 AB amps right now. They used to be the OEM for Cinepro. I just notice that you like cool running amps, which these are not. I myself prefere hot running amps.

Last edited:
GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I'm going to see if I can borrow a friend's Crown amp and test it between the Denon to see if I can really hear any difference before I go out and fulfill my "need" for an external amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis