Power amp comparison

C

chrstr

Audioholic Intern
Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The CA-250 should sound the same as the Rotel to most people but you need to find out for sure if the specified "jack" input connectors are RCA type. Other than that you may also want to find out how noisy the fan can be from your listening position; and how often it will turn on (that may depend on your listening environment/habits and speaker characteristics).

C

chrstr

Audioholic Intern
The CA-250 should sound the same as the Rotel to most people but you need to find out for sure if the specified "jack" input connectors are RCA type. Other than that you may also want to find out how noisy the fan can be from your listening position; and how often it will turn on (that may depend on your listening environment/habits and speaker characteristics).
hey thanks! this clear up things :D regarding RCA for input, its not, i need an adaptor like an rca>mic jack

Last edited:
C

chrstr

Audioholic Intern
just a follow up question. i know .03% is better but is it negligible?
ROTEL has .03% THD
CA250 has .5% THD

thanks again!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
just a follow up question. i know .03% is better but is it negligible?
ROTEL has .03% THD
CA250 has .5% THD

thanks again!
You can't really compare them apple to apple with such brief specs. Take a look of this Rotel's THD+N vs power output graph:

Rotel RB-1090 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

You will find that typically for a class A/B amplifer the distortions would tend to be higher at very low output, levelling off as output rises to approach say 1W and then it would rise sharply at near the so called "rated" output and beyond. In this case Rotel is probably providing those lower THD figures at 1W output while Crown's at rated output, hence higher.

That being said, the Rotel likely still will have better specs but that most likely would not translate into audible improvement to all but those with highly critical hearing abilities. You are not limited to the high cost Rotel either if you are open to the used market, but in that case go with something that has a transferable warranty.

C

chrstr

Audioholic Intern
You can't really compare them apple to apple with such brief specs. Take a look of this Rotel's THD+N vs power output graph:

Rotel RB-1090 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

You will find that typically for a class A/B amplifer the distortions would tend to be higher at very low output, levelling off as output rises to approach say 1W and then it would rise sharply at near the so called "rated" output and beyond. In this case Rotel is probably providing those lower THD figures at 1W output while Crown's at rated output, hence higher.

That being said, the Rotel likely still will have better specs but that most likely would not translate into audible improvement to all but those with highly critical hearing abilities. You are not limited to the high cost Rotel either if you are open to the used market, but in that case go with something that has a transferable warranty.
thanks for the input, so boss what do you think? i'm just starting this hobby, and many terms are still like chinese. Is the difference negligible? again thanks!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
thanks for the input, so boss what do you think? i'm just starting this hobby, and many terms are still like chinese. Is the difference negligible? again thanks!
PENG said:
would not translate into audible improvement to all but those with highly critical hearing abilities
Yes, negligible. So why do you think you need an external amp?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get the Crown XLS 1500 for $300. It's 300wpc x 2ch 8ohms. It has regular RCA jacks.

C

chrstr

Audioholic Intern
thanks mate! got lps 1500 gets the job done for me @@

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis