possible clipping issue

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
problem: my sub seems to make rattling noises if i turn up the volume above -5dB.

i've taken the sub apart and the cone moves freely and the voice coil looks fine and i couldn't find anything loose or hear anything moving around when i took it out of the enclosure so it doesn't seem like its a problem with the sub itself.

its being powered by the sub amp in my old receiver until i sell it (yamaha htr-5920) and i have the volume on it turned up fairly high since my new Sony receiver outputs a really low sub signal. so is it possible its just my amp clipping? and what could it do to make it not clip? i already have an equalizer amplifying the sub signal a bit before it goes to my Yamaha.

i have my sonys volume at about 56% and my htpc volume at 25% and the sub signal is louder than it was before (with sony volume at 30% and htpc volume at 100%) but i dont want to have my sony running too high either.

so yeah... could it be my amp clipping and if so, what do i do?

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
problem: my sub seems to make rattling noises if i turn up the volume above -5dB.

i've taken the sub apart and the cone moves freely and the voice coil looks fine and i couldn't find anything loose or hear anything moving around when i took it out of the enclosure so it doesn't seem like its a problem with the sub itself.

its being powered by the sub amp in my old receiver until i sell it (yamaha htr-5920) and i have the volume on it turned up fairly high since my new Sony receiver outputs a really low sub signal. so is it possible its just my amp clipping? and what could it do to make it not clip? i already have an equalizer amplifying the sub signal a bit before it goes to my Yamaha.

i have my sonys volume at about 56% and my htpc volume at 25% and the sub signal is louder than it was before (with sony volume at 30% and htpc volume at 100%) but i dont want to have my sony running too high either.

so yeah... could it be my amp clipping and if so, what do i do?
Tell us about your sub. Sub amp in your receiver? I'm trying to make sense of what you're saying. :eek:

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Tell us about your sub. Sub amp in your receiver? I'm trying to make sense of what you're saying. :eek:
my sub is an infinity 1260w and i have no info on the sub amp in the receiver

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
my sub is an infinity 1260w and i have no info on the sub amp in the receiver
The amp is your sub not the receiver.
If i'm following your post, you're running the sub off one AVR and your speakers off a different AVR? Your post is confusing about how you have it hooked up.

Is it a car sub?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
The amp is your sub not the receiver.
If i'm following your post, you're running the sub off one AVR and your speakers off a different AVR? Your post is confusing about how you have it hooked up.

Is it a car sub?
its car sub being powered by my old receiver.... the receiver has a built in sub amp...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't researched this much, but I wanted to add something that might help.

That woofer is spec'd at 4 Ohms, but the Yamaha is rated for 6 Ohms/minimum per speaker. Might not mean anything, but it caught my attention at first glance.

Also, you say that the Sony output is very low. What is the sub level set at on your Sony?

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic

That woofer is spec'd at 4 Ohms, but the Yamaha is rated for 6 Ohms/minimum per speaker. Might not mean anything, but it caught my attention at first glance.

Also, you say that the Sony output is very low. What is the sub level set at on your Sony?
I doubt very much it has a sub amp in it, maybe he's trying to drive it off one of the speaker outputs.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I have no idea how you have that convolutesd setup working.

You have no direct way to run the LFE out of that Sony directly into a power amplifier input of the Yamaha so heaven only knows what's going on inside there between the yammie's input and it's speaker output.

That it works at all is a miracle.

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
I have no idea how you have that convolutesd setup working.

You have no direct way to run the LFE out of that Sony directly into a power amplifier input of the Yamaha so heaven only knows what's going on inside there between the yammie's input and it's speaker output.

That it works at all is a miracle.

I'm thinking 'spit and bailing wire' but i'm trying to find if it ever worked.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You have no direct way to run the LFE out of that Sony directly into a power amplifier input of the Yamaha...
Not totally true - but it is an excellent comment. Craig, how do you have this all hooked up?

This might be an issue with the crossover frequency on the Yamaha being set lower than the crossover frequency on the Sony. Can you set your front speakers to "large" on the Yamaha? If so, I can suggest a hookup.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
For anyone reading, I've run speakers as subwoofers using the subwoofer output from one receiver into an input on another receiver that was powering the speakers. It was just a test, but it worked quite well. So, it's possible for this to work.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic

i have the sub level set a +10 (max)
Has it ever worked this way?
it powered the infinity just fine when i was using it as my main receiver
I doubt very much it has a sub amp in it, maybe he's trying to drive it off one of the speaker outputs.
no... there is a set of speaker terminals on the back labeled subwoofer and i had my infinity hooked up to that for at least 6 months and it worked fine

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Craig - what do you have the volume set at on the Yamaha?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Not totally true - but it is an excellent comment. Craig, how do you have this all hooked up?

This might be an issue with the crossover frequency on the Yamaha being set lower than the crossover frequency on the Sony. Can you set your front speakers to "large" on the Yamaha? If so, I can suggest a hookup.
sub output on sony>equalizer>rca splitter cable>dvd input on Yamaha

i have all speakers set to off or small and i have absolutely no control over the crossover in the Yamaha.... seems like an important feature but the Yamaha doesn't really have any nice stuff like that. i tried connecting it to one of the front speaker outputs and set the fronts to large and it worked but wasnt any better than using the sub output...

as an interesting note... i just noticed i had the receiver set to stereo all this time... i just set it to 5 stereo and that fixed it... kinda... i mean its louder than it was...

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
For anyone reading, I've run speakers as subwoofers using the subwoofer output from one receiver into an input on another receiver that was powering the speakers. It was just a test, but it worked quite well. So, it's possible for this to work.
That's out of my area man. Too many daisys in that chain for me. lol

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Hi, Craig - what do you have the volume set at on the Yamaha?
right now its at -20dB which is better but then i also have my volume on my sony rather low because my dad was saying there was too much bass earlier... and now that i realized he is gone i have my sony up to about 75% :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That's out of my area man. Too many daisys in that chain for me. lol
:D I was just using the second receiver as an amp for my "subs." I was wondering how it would work. Not bad, actually.

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
sub output on sony>equalizer>rca splitter cable>dvd input on Yamaha

i have all speakers set to off or small and i have absolutely no control over the crossover in the Yamaha.... seems like an important feature but the Yamaha doesn't really have any nice stuff like that. i tried connecting it to one of the front speaker outputs and set the fronts to large and it worked but wasnt any better than using the sub output...

as an interesting note... i just noticed i had the receiver set to stereo all this time... i just set it to 5 stereo and that fixed it... kinda... i mean its louder than it was...
That's a step in the right direction as Stereo won't send a lfe signal.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
:D I was just using the second receiver as an amp for my "subs." I was wondering how it would work. Not bad, actually.
see, im not crazy... it does work but i really do need to get a proper amp...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis