L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for a set of speakers for an iPod. Convenience and portability are the primary concerns, more so than sound quality, but that said, it is always nice if you can find something that sounds good as well.

I am looking for something that can sit in the office, to play very soft backround music (mostly jazz), and also be packed up quickly and easily to take to a hotel or on trips.

I've looked at a few "dock" systems, and it looks like Altec Lansing (the inMotion line) and Logitech (mm50's, for example) have some reasonable systems. They both fold fairly flat and come with carrying cases, and look like they would be easy to pack in a computer bag or suit-case.

I think another option would be to get a universal MP3 dock, and then just a really small pair of speakers.

Any opinions on which would be the best way to go?

Thanks in advance.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker options

The AudioEngine 5 powered speakers will sound better than most ipod doc systems. If they are too big, one of the Klipsch ipod docs got a decent review on this site.

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions, jc

I read a review on the AudioEngine 5 powered speakers, and they were highly rated. I also got a chance to listen to the Klipsch dock, and I really liked the sound. But I was really looking for more portability (something that would be easy to slip into an overnight-bag, and sit unobtrusively on an office desk).

In the end, I wound up going with the JBL On Stage II. While I thought the Klipsch unit sounded better, the JBL is only 7" in diameter and 2" thick, and weighs 1 lb, making it significantly more portable than the Klisch, which is 16" long, 6.5" tall and 5.5" thick, and weighs 4.6 lbs. And the sound of the JBL is still pretty respectable, especially for something this size. Here's a link to the manufacturer's site:

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=JBLONST2UDP&CheckProduct=Y

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis