portable headphones, not in-ear

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Looking for a pair, mostly to use with an iphone while on vacation on the beach. I hate anything in my ear. Will also use them occasionally with my macbook at home.
Mostly classic rock, iphone has best quality MP3 trancoded from Flac. I don't listen very loud.
Would like to keep them fairly inexpensive.
Saw some recommendations for the Sennheiser PX-100 iii, they have them on Amazon for about $50, any other suggestions?

Thanks

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
maybe take a look at the audio technica ath-m30 :)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Agree with markw that the Koss are good sounding portable headphones and a really good deal. Also good are the Sennheiser px100 and 200 both of which are available for around $50 from Amazon. My favs (and I've tried a few) are the AKG 450s; they cost a bit more but they sound good and come in a really good case. A bit of an outside choice (but one I sometimes use for traveling) are the ATH M-50s; they fold up so they are kind of portable and they sound great from an ipod but they are probably outside the OP's budget.

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, lots of good suggestions. I don't mind spending more to get a quality product. The AKG K450s are $71.50 on Amazon. I've seen several recommendations for the Koss Portapros which are $32. Will have to compare some open vs closed styles to see what I prefer. I can't find any local place that carries the Koss, Magnolia has some AKGs, but not that style.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Looking for a pair, mostly to use with an iphone while on vacation on the beach. I hate anything in my ear. Will also use them occasionally with my macbook at home.
Mostly classic rock, iphone has best quality MP3 trancoded from Flac. I don't listen very loud.
Would like to keep them fairly inexpensive.
Saw some recommendations for the Sennheiser PX-100 iii, they have them on Amazon for about $50, any other suggestions?

Thanks
One problem you are going to run into with wearing over/on ear headphones at the beach is excessive sweating. It will be to the point of being uncomfortable. But if you have to have that type, the Koss KSC 75 would be best for your application and budget. They can be had for $20-$30.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those HT-21 don't be fooled by the cheap price they are great.

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestions. It's really hard to find places to demo these. I'm going to check in Best buy and the Apple Store just to try various styles. The only thing that was suggested in this and other forums that I can find locally are some Grados.

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Any Beyerdynamic fans? I can get a $200 credit to use at Brookstone for some surveys I fill out, could get the T50p for about $75 out of pocket.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Any Beyerdynamic fans? I can get a $200 credit to use at Brookstone for some surveys I fill out, could get the T50p for about $75 out of pocket.
From what I've read, the DT1350 is significantly better than the T50P. If I were in the market for portable non IEMs, the DT1350 would be high up on my list.

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
From what I've read, the DT1350 is significantly better than the T50P. If I were in the market for portable non IEMs, the DT1350 would be high up on my list.
Yes, I've read that too. Unfortunately Brookstone doesn't carry the 1350 right now. I may hold off to see if they start carrying it, I may earn more credit in the meantime. Interesting that BD lists the 1350 under "headphones for live applications" while the T50 is under "mobile/portable"

S

schiesz

Enthusiast
Koss KSC 75

Order them online and enjoy. They will run about $15 from amazon. They sound great, and you will not care a bit if they get sandy at the beach or something. If you want to spend a little money, i'd go for the Grados.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis