S

shirts88

Enthusiast
I currently have a Denon AVR 587 receiver with the Polk Rm6600 satellites and center channel. The sub I am using is a 3 year old Powered 10 inch Sony Sub similar to the Sony SA-WM250. I have been getting many complements on my surround sound from friends and I am very satisfied myself. However, the sub was only $100 and I know Sony doesnt produce great subs. If I were to purchase one of the recommended Polk subs would it make that much of a difference, and if so which model should I choose? It doesn't have to be Polk, I would just prefer that it is less than $200.
Also, I currently have the sony sub hooked up through the sub pre out rather than the Polk recommended setup with speaker wire. All of the speakers are set to small on the receiver. Is this correct for my current setup or should I switch it to large? Should I change it to the polk the method when I purchase the new sub? I have an extremely large room. Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Polk's low end subs aren't worth your time; certainly not at $200. If you have a selectable crossover on your receiver, I would leave it the way you have it. For a $200 sub, I would recommend the Onix X-Sub. It is currently out of stock unfortunately.

S

shirts88

Enthusiast
Receiver setting

Thanks for the response. Should I leave the speakers set to small on the receiver? What should I set the crossover to?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, leave them set to small, since they cannot handle a ton of bass. If you can choose your x-over point, set it to at least 100Hz.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't go with a Polk sub either. As j_garcia mentioned, the x-sub is great, a b-stock HSU if you can find one at this price point, and if you really have a really tight budget, a Dayton sub from partexpress.

S

shirts88

Enthusiast
Subwoofer

Any suggestions where I can purchase any of these recommended subs? I cant find them on ebay or craigslist and the websites are backordered.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Any suggestions where I can purchase any of these recommended subs? I cant find them on ebay or craigslist and the websites are backordered.
Check out the classified section on the forums of av123.com I think a couple were on sale 250 or so plus shipping or so. You can also post a WTB in that section.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Shirts88 - If you want to stick with a Polk subwoofer, by all means, keep your options open. You can find some information on the newer DSW series on the homepage. Since you're currently using the satellite setup, you don't need a bonecrusher, just something simple. I would suggest that you step up the budget and get into the meat and potatoes of the subwoofer bracket. There's alot more options out here with a modest jump in cost. Either way, either choice, good luck.

J_Garcia - Subwoofers are not something that Polk has really been known for with a couple exceptions being the PSW1000 and PSW505. They weren't too bad and your opinion is certainly nothing I haven't heard.....many times :D ;)

With the advent of companies like HSU and SVS, the subwoofer market really opened up for folks looking for high performance and low cost. Heck, I'm an SVS owner.

If an inexpensive subwoofer is what gets someone to get motivated about audio, that's a good thing and a win for everyone involved. I haven't heard anything groundbreaking in the $200 bracket from any manufacturers but I also have a different benchmark than some folks. I sometimes forget that this hobby is much bigger than just me.

Regards,
Mark
Polk Audio CS

jinjuku

jinjuku

Parts Express may still have their 12" SUB-120 on sale for $148 SHIPPED. A few have mentioned having it and that it is a decent sub.

R

RuSsMaN

Enthusiast
For $200 or so, you aren't going to be able to buy a subwoofer. You are going to get a woofer in a box, with an amp, period.

With your setup, a PSW10 or 12 (if you can find them at your pricepoint) will fill out the low end quite nicely. All Polk subs are rated (measured) in an anehoic chamber - in room response is usually better.

That being said, I've heard GREAT things about the Dayton offerings, and I've been a PE regular for going 7 years. I've also ran a pair of X-Sub's for a music setup (Danny Richie is a good friend of mine), and they certainly rank in the 'bang for buck category'.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for, and within the budget, you need to look for closeout deals, and sale specials - Polk, Dayton, X-Series, etc etc. I can't even recommend a DIY route without at least doubling the budget.

Cheers,
Russ

Polk Audio CS

jinjuku

jinjuku

For $200 or so, you aren't going to be able to buy a subwoofer. You are going to get a woofer in a box, with an amp, period.
I think that might be a tad misleading Russ. Talking about the Parts Express SUB-120 in particular will hit 28Hz *its rated for 25Hz. Now hitting 28hz with amazing authority would be another story. But the poster is on a budget.

Telling the OP that this isn't a 'real' sub woofer is misleading IMO. I think it would be adequate to above adequate given the needs set.

S

shirts88

Enthusiast
Dayton Sub-120

Thanks for the responses everyone. Like I said in the previous post I am satisfied with my current set-up, and I was just looking for a way to make it a little better. I am a college student on a tight budget, and purchasing the Polk Satellites and Denon receiver was enough of a stretch as it was. I just finished purchasing the Dayton Sub 120, and I'm pretty sure it will be MUCH better than my Cheapo Sony Sub from Circuit City.

S

shirts88

Enthusiast
Dayton Sub 120 Setup

When I receive this Sub what is going to be the best way to set it up, and what should the settings be on it, and on my Denon AVR 587 receiver (best connection to receiver, crossover on receiver, crossover on sub, volume level on sub, db level on receiver) - remember I have a fairly large, open room)?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
When I receive this Sub what is going to be the best way to set it up, and what should the settings be on it, and on my Denon AVR 587 receiver (best connection to receiver, crossover on receiver, crossover on sub, volume level on sub, db level on receiver) - remember I have a fairly large, open room)?
I would recommend running a RCA from the receivers pre-out to the subwoofer after that set the subwoofers crossover as high as possible and then set the receivers at 80. After that I would get an SPL meter and then run the receivers internal test tones making sure all your speakers are playing at the same level and adjust the subwoofer accordingly. No one can actually tell you what level to set the sub at because it depends on how loud the rest of your speakers are playing.

I would also read over the articles here

S

shirts88

Enthusiast
Going with the B-Stock PB10 over Dayton

I think I am becoming a bit obsessed here-I am going to go with the B-stock PB10 over the Dayton. Can anyone tell me where I can find one? Preferably used so it will cost less.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think the B-stock PB10 will cost less than the Dayton even used since the Dayton is only 150 at Parts Express right now. If you do want to find the SVS B-stock right now, I would check audiogon regularly as well as contacting SVS and asking them about it. Lastly, I would check ebay since they have SVS subs pop up occasionally.

S

shirts88

Enthusiast
Pb10

I looked into purchasing this Sub from SVS, but it will cost me close to $500 after shipping. Any idea where I might be able to find this for clsoer to $350?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I looked into purchasing this Sub from SVS, but it will cost me close to $500 after shipping. Any idea where I might be able to find this for clsoer to $350?
You will be hard pressed to find it and you will have to wait until you see one but like I said earlier, craigslist, audiogon, ebay, avsforum classifieds, check SVS b-stock page a bit. If you really don't want to wait and have 350 to spend check out HSUresearch subs. I haven't run into a single person who was unsatisfied with one of their woofers, especially for the price.

Check these out while they aren't as pretty as the SVS they should perform as well:
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html
http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

jinjuku

jinjuku

I think I am becoming a bit obsessed here-I am going to go with the B-stock PB10 over the Dayton. Can anyone tell me where I can find one? Preferably used so it will cost less.
The PB10 even b-stock will most likely be another $200 more @ least. Plus there is going to be shipping on it. So, is your budget $200 or isn't it?

If it is not, I won't spend my time recommend something that you're not going to purchase in the first place, we'll recommend something else.

Options in the $200-300 range are the BIC H100, HSU STF1, elemental designs A2-250. If you can spend $350 then give serious consideration to the eD A2-300.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis