Polk RTIA9 vs. Martin logan Source

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would go for the Martin Logan's. I always wanted to own a pair, and the Source's are what turned me on to ML's. I have heard a set of towers similar to the Polk RTI A9's (can't remember the model atm) and they didn't sound as good as the Sources to me. Albeit they were using different source material and in different rooms.

Martin Logans also have the cool factor :D

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
i loved the sound of the sources, but the ATri9s look so damaging and promising

Matt34

Matt34

What will be the primary use of these speakers? HT- Polks, music- ML.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
ok so gaming and movies bout 95% music about 5%. what is the opinion behind that, any facts? just wondering. thanks!

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
i loved the sound of the sources, but the ATri9s look so damaging and promising
Looks can be deceiving, and very often are in the audio world. just because it looks nice (carbon fiber covered electrical outlet) doesnt mean it is nice.

I dont mean to say that the polks sound bad, but you have heard the martin logans and you loved their sound.

Last edited:
H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
You're going to get better bass and dynamics from the Polk, but far better imaging, soundstage, and resolution from the ML's. Of course, the ML's will have more amplifier needs and are pickier on placement, too. Pick your poison.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Here are some thoughts of another member whom is highly regarded on this forum and by ME...:)

Please note the ML he compared were the Vista Xstat which are twice the cost of the Source...FWIW...;)
95% chance that the Vistas were set up wrong (and obviously they can hardly be driven by a receiver). Big box stores really do not have a clue what they're doing with hifi, let alone a difficult speaker like an electrostatic.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
95% chance that the Vistas were set up wrong (and obviously they can hardly be driven by a receiver). Big box stores really do not have a clue what they're doing with hifi, let alone a difficult speaker like an electrostatic.
Yeah...B&M retailers are hardly the ideal location to audition any speaker, let alone an electrostatic design which require proper set up because of placement limitations due to their design that can effect the overall soundstage. I doubt the receiver in this case was the issue and since I've never heard the ML(just not my style) but I have heard the others was why I remembered his comments and copied that specific post. My intent here was to help the OP draw some paralled, and my remarks weren't knocking any products or worst still....trying to speak for Peng, who I often seek for his advice...:).

Regards & happy holidays, Bill....:)

jinjuku

jinjuku

What will be the primary use of these speakers? HT- Polks, music- ML.
++ That.

If you are talking HT get the Polks. If you are taking sitting back with a warm cognac and smuggled cuban cigar in hand listening to Holtz's Planets then consider the ML.

Best advice, that is getting harder every year, is to get them side by side and compare.

jinjuku

jinjuku

ok so gaming and movies bout 95% music about 5%. what is the opinion behind that, any facts? just wondering. thanks!
With the RTi line Polk tends to voice them a little forward. Some people describe them as 'bright' when it comes to music but preferred for HT.

I have to ask: Why these two speakers? I mean out of all the variety out there these two seem like an odd two to come down too...

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Yeah...B&M retailers are hardly the ideal location to audition any speaker, let alone an electrostatic design which require proper set up because of placement limitations due to their design that can effect the overall soundstage. I doubt the receiver in this case was the issue and since I've never heard the ML(just not my style) but I have heard the others was why I remembered his comments and copied that specific post. My intent here was to help the OP draw some paralled, and my remarks weren't knocking any products or worst still....trying to speak for Peng, who I often seek for his advice...:).

Regards & happy holidays, Bill....:)
I get it, just pointing things it out. ;-)

As far as the receiver issue goes, I would guess that they were auditioning in a fairly large room which means they would be driving the speakers fairly loudly for good spl at the listening seat. The Vista will swing all the way down to 1 ohm - that means SERIOUS current requirements for HF, especially in big dynamic peaks. The receiver could be a major part of them problem. Most receivers can't even handle a legit 4 ohm load, let alone a 1 ohm load.

D

davecochran

Audioholic Intern
With the RTi line Polk tends to voice them a little forward. Some people describe them as 'bright' when it comes to music but preferred for HT.

I have to ask: Why these two speakers? I mean out of all the variety out there these two seem like an odd two to come down too...
i was just reviewing speakers online, and these two interested and are about my price range. I have klipsch vf35s for fronts, the vf model for the center, and the vf model for the rears, all in all sounds good, but wanting more for the HT aspect.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
One thing to keep in mind - if you buy the ML's, you'll be terribly unhappy with your center channel and need to buy one of those, too.

Matt34

Matt34

i was just reviewing speakers online, and these two interested and are about my price range. I have klipsch vf35s for fronts, the vf model for the center, and the vf model for the rears, all in all sounds good, but wanting more for the HT aspect.
Those Klipsch are decent HT speakers and if you like that type of sound I would opt for the polks. That being said, why not move up the Klipsch line to the RF-82II?

Some other dynamic floor-standers I would also suggest are:

http://store.audioholics.com/product/2906/66334/emp-impression-e55ti-tower-speakers--black-pair-

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT6%20%20%20%20EABLK

BTW, what sub are you running?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I own ML electrostats, and I will agree with the others that you ought to look at other speaker designs for HT. However, I have never been enamored with Polk, but that is just one opinion, and I'm sure there is a reason why many people buy them.

If you are handy in the slightest, I would encourage you to build some speakers like the ER18, at under $300 each. The speakers they most closely resemble are $4200 as prebuilt by the same designer. Speaking of, check out the Salk SongTower at about 20% past your current budget.

I am not handy at all, but if I obtain new speakers, I will be building them. The tool outlay is what's going to delay this upgrade for an indefinite while.

Otherwise, I think that PSB holds good value for an "audiophile" speaker that has good HT capabilities.

Yet a few hundred more than the Salks could be some HT or bust type speakers (crazy dynamic capability) like some JTRs:
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/triple-8ht/

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you are going to look at speakers online:

Aperion
Ascend
SVS
EMPtek

Then there is DIY...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis