M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I know Polk speakers have been discussed before but indulge me if you will.

I think I've settled on a redesign for my AV stand and I will be limited to a center channel that is 20" wide or less. The new Polk will fit the bill and come in an attractive cherry finish that will match. I've heard Polk speakers in a less than ideal store showroom and they sound OK to me.

So, opinions on Polk speakers in general or alternatives from other manufacturers that offer at least one model with a center that meets my space requirements of 20" wide or less. I know all about auditioning but locally that is tough to do and I've been reasonably satisfied with my current JBL speakers - just about anything (even another JBL) should be a decent upgrade as long as I can meet the size requirements.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I would check out speakers from the Jamo Concert Series. The C80 center is 19.7 inches wide.

A review was done on the C803 bookshelves and J. loved them, on a recent AVRant he said they were one of the best pair of speakers that have come through his room yet.

The C800 series is kind of pricey because they are the highest up in the rung, but there are many other levels in the concert series that are capable. For less expensive speakers I would strongly suggest looking into the E800 series as I believe them to be extremely impressive as well.

Lastly, have you thought about buying a matching bookshelf, setting it on its side and using that as your center? It could possibly reduce comb-filtering and give you many more options for your center while being equally as capable. I say this because the only speaker I am unhappy with in my current set up is my center as I believe it to be muddy when I listen to complex multichannel music and am happy when I put one of my bookshelves up front instead.

If you decided against horizontal bookshelf replacement I would be curious as to why.

Edit: I have never heart the Polk RTi series so cannot comment on them. Is there a price range you are looking to stay in?

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I know Polk speakers have been discussed before but indulge me if you will.

I think I've settled on a redesign for my AV stand and I will be limited to a center channel that is 20" wide or less. The new Polk will fit the bill and come in an attractive cherry finish that will match. I've heard Polk speakers in a less than ideal store showroom and they sound OK to me.

So, opinions on Polk speakers in general or alternatives from other manufacturers that offer at least one model with a center that meets my space requirements of 20" wide or less. I know all about auditioning but locally that is tough to do and I've been reasonably satisfied with my current JBL speakers - just about anything (even another JBL) should be a decent upgrade as long as I can meet the size requirements.

It looks very nice. :D Sensitivity is up there but no impedance given.
Did you listen up close to negate the poor conditions you had? If you liked it and will do the job, why not? Otherwise you will go mad trying to find one and in the end may think back you should have bought this one. :D
Besides, it is not that expensive and if you ever redo your setup, not much is lost and usable somewhere else perhaps, or hand me down:D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Exactly what I'm thinking Mtry. The problem I have with speaker auditioning is that they all sound decent to me. It's not until you've lived with things for awhile do you start to identify weaknesses.

I'm going through the usual headaches now. I want to do a clean sweep of my system but finding it difficult to balance performance with aesthetics and size requirements. I should have bought a house with a bigger wall for the home theater. :)

I know there are many Polk owners out there and I'd like to hear what people think of them (again). My short opinion of them is that they sound kind of like my JBL - good, but not 'wow'. Maybe that is good enough.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Exactly what I'm thinking Mtry. The problem I have with speaker auditioning is that they all sound decent to me. It's not until you've lived with things for awhile do you start to identify weaknesses.

I'm going through the usual headaches now. I want to do a clean sweep of my system but finding it difficult to balance performance with aesthetics and size requirements. I should have bought a house with a bigger wall for the home theater. :)

I know there are many Polk owners out there and I'd like to hear what people think of them (again). My short opinion of them is that they sound kind of like my JBL - good, but not 'wow'. Maybe that is good enough.
I hear you. But, knowing or correlating others views may not mesh with your listening pleasures, unless you specifically know and perhaps have compared notes with known others. Not an easy task.

Is there a return policy? How well would it blend with your other speakers as I forgot what you might have; but, you already have thought of that too.
Don't know.
Yes, a bigger space designed from the start. In the meantime....:D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I have not heard the new RTi series. I am a LSi series owner, and love them. Have you ever auditioned the LSi's?

The only problem I see is this :eek:

7" H x 21-3/4" W x 9" D

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/lsic/

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
The aforementioned choices, dimensionally, are fine alternatives for your application.

In-store demo's are always a loaded answer, and the consumer is usually left short in this respect. Since you have stated that its generally a wash at this point, consider one thing. Budget.

I would identify what is within your budget(Min-Max) and if you're still in the same boat sonically, you're gonna to have to bite the bullet. I believe the current Polk in-wall series is miles above the earlier in-wall offerings, from a listener standpoint. I would be suprised if you make a bad decision either way.

HT is easy.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

shouldn't you be looking at JBL's or Infinity? these should provide a closer "sound" to your JBL.

I have polk rti, and they sound "different" compared to Infinity, Monitor Audio, KEF ... they sound brighter ... but not harsh

I do agree with Dorukusai that HT is easy ... I doubt you'll notice the difference in "timbre" with HT.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Polk is just one of the options and based on informal listening tests at stores. I think they would do, but you never know.

I wanted to really 'upgrade' and spend quite a bit more this time around but the real world interjects and I have to stay within my size restraints. That and the fact that there is only one so-called high-end store around here (they sell Dali now) I think it is tough to do any real auditioning.

I've heard people say that the RTi series can be bright but that has not been my impression so far. Who knows how that might change if I actually buy them and listen to them in my room for awhile.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Polk is just one of the options and based on informal listening tests at stores. I think they would do, but you never know.

I wanted to really 'upgrade' and spend quite a bit more this time around but the real world interjects and I have to stay within my size restraints. That and the fact that there is only one so-called high-end store around here (they sell Dali now) I think it is tough to do any real auditioning.

I've heard people say that the RTi series can be bright but that has not been my impression so far. Who knows how that might change if I actually buy them and listen to them in my room for awhile.
Every time I hear Polk speakers it's in a show room. I flip between all of them, and they sound bright to me in comparison. I would also look at Infinity over Polk.

SheepStar

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The new RTis really got a facelift...I hope you get them and post your thoughts. They are said to be improved as well. I did briefly own the RTi8s and liked, not loved them. I didn't find them bright, just the tweeter needed some damping on some music...could have been my rig.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone that owns Polks:
Can the outrigger feet be removed? They make the footprint of the speaker slightly wider and although I'm sure they do help to stabilize the speaker I highly doubt they would affect the sound in any way.

majorloser

majorloser

Mazer, how many freak'in speakers do you own?!?! :eek: I've heard you post about a lot of different speakers. Wish I had the money for that. :D
Let's just say he has more speakers than he has rooms in his house to set them all up. :eek:

brijenjas

brijenjas

Audiophyte
Anyone that owns Polks:
Can the outrigger feet be removed? They make the footprint of the speaker slightly wider and although I'm sure they do help to stabilize the speaker I highly doubt they would affect the sound in any way.
On the old RTi series no, you cannot remove the outriggers. the plastic curve at the bottom front of the speaker dips lower than the main speaker body.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I believe the outrigger idea was for both stability and to introduce a design aesthetic since it was a new line. The new RTi line was a departure from the previously, conservative Polk loudspeaker in both sonics and appearance. I only say that knowing Polk, not that it was a groundbreaking industry change, so keep that in mind.

The new RTi Ax series is coming out and it doesn't use outriggers but still has external feet. I'll have to find out if they can be removed.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis