Polk PSW10 review (after 6 months of listening)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've had this sub for about six months, i reviewed it once, and gave it all good things, but i've had more time to really mess with this thing and it is definitely not as good as i made it out to be. This sub lacks quite a bit in extension. it's absolutely useless and actually bad under 35hz, any content below 35hz higher then about 60dB. within its frequency range it sounds fairly decent, it is tight and punchy and can put out reference levels of sound. below 35hz the sub bottoms out and makes an unreasonable amount of port noise above 35hz i can crank the volume to painful levels with no port noise whatsoever, i would recommend this sub to someone looking for a small budget sub to cover the extra octaves bookshelfs cannot reach for a music only system. this thing struggles terribly with LFE considering there is alot of infrasonic content involved, this sub rolls off very steeply below 35hz and at 25hz it makes no audible noise aside from port chuffing. strangely enough, the 50w amplifier seems to drive it well enough to perform at pretty high volume levels. bottom line, considering this sub is only $100 dollars, i would say it would be alright for someone needing a budget sub to fill in the bottom end of a music system, considering most music does not reach high levels below about 35hz. DO NOT expect this thing to perform well with home theater. it simply will not do it. for anyone wanting serious bass, stay away from polk's older line of subwoofers while they make very good speakers, they simply just didn't know what they are doing with subwoofers. this includes the PSW10, and the PSW505. ive heard the same type of things from the psw505.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Hey Yep,

Thanks for the review; I actually run Polk's PSW350 in my HT and have for many years since the model debuted, and it has gone in and out of several systems now. From the beginning, when I had a system in a little studio apartment, I was impressed -- now, I clearly see this sub's shortcomings that are similar to what you mentioned about the PSW10. Needless to say, an upgrade to an SVS or something of that caliber will be my next upgrade.

I would stay away from Polk subs from this point on, as I just don't think they are made in the same fashion as their better standard speakers are. :)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The new dsw series are good. they have just recently been actually making subs that are real performers. but like i said all of the older models suck. i think it is better to just buy subs from companies who make mostly subs like hsu or svs etc.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The new dsw series are good. they have just recently been actually making subs that are real performers. but like i said all of the older models suck. i think it is better to just buy subs from companies who make mostly subs like hsu or svs etc.
There used to be a Polk dude on here (Dorokusai I think) and he never disagreed that their subs weren't that good. They realize their shortcoming on that front, however they are still trying to hit specific price points in the market as well, and ID sub manufacturers are able to both focus on a specific product and have lower operating costs, which is why the ID subs will always be a better value.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
the sub would be halfway decent if it wasn't for the port noise, even a 99 dollar sub from sony can do that.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
There used to be a Polk dude on here (Dorokusai I think) and he never disagreed that their subs weren't that good. They realize their shortcoming on that front, however they are still trying to hit specific price points in the market as well, and ID sub manufacturers are able to both focus on a specific product and have lower operating costs, which is why the ID subs will always be a better value.
Yeah, Dorokusai is a regular on the Polk forums, which aren't too...let's just say "people friendly"...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
hahaha, well many of them have some bizzare ideas like on cables and stuff.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Hey Yep,

You're not in Mass anymore? Did you move?

I know that you once said you weren't really into football, but I still love those Pats! I wish they would bring back their original uniforms and helmet logos though...the coolest in the entire league, hands down -- well, except maybe for the Tampa Bay Bucs old logo...;)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
hahaha, well many of them have some bizzare ideas like on cables and stuff.
Ya think?!? :rolleyes:

It's more than that, though; they're really quite harsh on people when they post opinions about films and such, getting to the point they actually begin poking fun at other members and insulting them with no recourse from the moderators. They just don't care. :rolleyes:

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
yes i did move, to delaware, there was a thread about it on here. must have missed it.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
it did thanks, aside from some big problems with my manager at my new job things are going pretty well. after just one week there i was put on a list of people to fire, one of the reasons was "my bangs were in my face too much" along with a host of other things that were either rediculous or untrue. anyways i doubt i will last very long there even if someone removed my name from the list, i'm sure if she wants me fired enough eventually it will happen

/rant

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Oh, I hadn't realized that you moved for a new job -- unless I'm not understanding right? If so, congratulations.

O

ohskigod

Junior Audioholic
Ya think?!? :rolleyes:

It's more than that, though; they're really quite harsh on people when they post opinions about films and such, getting to the point they actually begin poking fun at other members and insulting them with no recourse from the moderators. They just don't care. :rolleyes:

yeah man, thank god that stuff doesn't happen here......oh wait :rolleyes:

O

ohskigod

Junior Audioholic
I did not receive the warmest welcome here when I started. a certain moderator that shall remain nameless added 134 negative points to my reputation for daring to say that opinions of any audio product (we were talking about a Polk product at the time) should be listened to objectively before trusting a cadre of internet folks bashing it.

I felt I did it in a respectful way, yet one mod gave me a negative review that counted a -134 points, and yet I got 2 positive ratings on posts and that counted as +4. Point is, a moderator abused is power quite a bit and in a vindictive fashion. I found that odd but in defense of Audioholics, I brought the issue up to another Mod and it was rectified.

Point is, all chatrooms have there Jerks, including this one. I took exception to the representation that the Polk forum was special in any way in that regard. All internet forums are nothing more than big social circles........act right and respectful and your probably ok......troll and make waves with the sole purpose of creating strife, and you will get it. Audioholics is no different than any other site and/or social circle big or small.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Well, you're right in the fact that all sites have a-holes and jerks, and boy do I know that from experience (just comes naturally when something is monikered as "anonymous" and makes members of these forums as such)...but I will say that the Polk forums go WAY beyond any I've personally experienced, their members going as far as to continuously make up accusations about somone's sexual orientation (that are completely untrue) and regularly harass certain members open and publically with NO recourse by the moderation teams...

I've seen this on AudioReview.com also...:rolleyes:

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
actually, this is the best audio forum i've seen without flame wars started by audiophools who beleive in magic cables. the only drama i have witnessed on here was started by me, unfortunately i am not being sarcastic when i say that.

O

ohskigod

Junior Audioholic
is it possible that no one discusses there experiences with different cables here because they will be labeled as a "audiophool" from jumpstreet? Understand that I am the last dude that will be spending 500 bucks on a cable anytime soon, but I am a Nordost fan (though I buy them used as I am not made of money)

I will humbly submit that Club Polk (full disclosure, I am a member there) has its issues, as all large social circles do. as in any large social circle, it takes time to ingratiate yourself into it. wether it is worth the effort is up to the person making the attempt I guess. If someone new comes in blows the mission in terms of gradually gaining acceptance in a social circle, things can go amiss. It hapenned to me here, it can happen anywhere really. I just have thick Rhino like skin, because I still poke around.

I submit that like any other board, Audioholics has it's social hirearchy just like any other site with it's own beliefs and whatnot....cross it wrong and you will get the wrath. trust me brotha, it's not much differnet here, though I will say that the ban hammer here can be strong..lol

point is, if your going to offer a viewpoint against the grain of any social hirearchy, it must be done with care. If I came out and said, "I think cables make a difference, I am not an Audiophool and by the way...EFF YOU", I am sure it would not go down famously here, nor should it. Given my low status in the social hirearchy here, an additional onus of tact is required on my part. Thats not just internet boards, thats life in general

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis