T

Titanite

Enthusiast
Hello,

I am in search of a new 5.1 or 7.1 system. I've listened to the paradigm monitor 7's in a 5.1 set up. They sounded nice. I've also been told to check out the polk audio RTi A series A7 for floor standing speakers. Can anyone speak to build quality between the two companies? I still need to listen to the polks but trying to get input on speaker quality, as I dont know if I can really tell the difference (half deaf my wife says). Speakers will be 80% home theater, and 20% music.

Also, trying to decide between the Anthem MRX-300 or the Marantz SR-6005, any suggestions? They both seem like they have not a ton of options compared to Onkyo or others for the price hovering around 1000.00.

Any comments or other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hello,

I am in search of a new 5.1 or 7.1 system. I've listened to the paradigm monitor 7's in a 5.1 set up. They sounded nice. I've also been told to check out the polk audio RTi A series A7 for floor standing speakers. Can anyone speak to build quality between the two companies? I still need to listen to the polks but trying to get input on speaker quality, as I dont know if I can really tell the difference (half deaf my wife says). Speakers will be 80% home theater, and 20% music.

Also, trying to decide between the Anthem MRX-300 or the Marantz SR-6005, any suggestions? They both seem like they have not a ton of options compared to Onkyo or others for the price hovering around 1000.00.
The build quality is decent - the sound character is different - I would
also check into PSB. As far as the receiver - I would choose good clean
power over options, any day of the week. I would also look into Yamaha.

G

gpost3

Banned
I heard the paradigms and I personally like them a lot. So I would say go with paradigms.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A side by side comparison of the Paradigms and Polks would proof most beneficial to you if its possible. Then you can decide which speakers sound right for you as hearing is very subjective and none of us hear exactly the same. If you can't do a side by side, then here is what I would do...

What I would do is to take a pad of paper with you, write down the make and
model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the
speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not revealing or were they smooththat made you want to listen for more? How was the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick a difficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning. Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get. It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.

S

slerch666

Audioholic Intern
My recommendation?

Try to find the speakers where you can audition both in the same listening location if at all possible. Give them a good, thorough listen. Take your own CDs or iPod (as long as you have high bitrate stuff). Take in a few DVDs and/or Blu Rays that you want to exercise the system with. Spend the 2-3 hours you'll need comparing the same tracks and same scenes from the movies.

When you're done, you'll know which set to pick. Don't let anyone tell you to get one over the other; use your own listening tests to judge properly as what may end up happening if you don't is you might wind up wondering "what if" or "did I get the best set?" You don't want to be in that position, and the truth is no one else will be listening to it but you and your family.

As far as the receiver, as someone else said, look at the specs but get s receiver that offers performance over options. I have a Denon 3311 and I love it, but I don't know what your price range and some people prefer other manufacturers receivers over Denon. It's all in preference and whether you like their menu structure... which is another thing you might want to try and audition with your speakers. See which menu setup makes sense to you and which receiver gives you the sound you prefer on the speakers you've chosen. Just try to make sure the settings are as equal as possible.

S

slerch666

Audioholic Intern
3db beat me to the punch by a few seconds it seems... AND offered the same advice, only BETTER than I did. Kudos!

The other thing I would add is to go to a real Hi-Fi shop if you have one around. Really talk to the people and tell them what you're looking for. They can pair you up with what's in your price range and if you're lucky, will offer the option to buy/try for 30 days and return the stuff if it just doesn't sound good in your room. And if you try/buy from a local store, don't be ignorant and turn around and buy off the Internet to save a few dollars (not saying you will do this, just saying). If they really help you, don't turn around and slap them for the assistance.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker selection boils down to personal taste but I wouldn't limit myself to those two choice. I'd get out and compare those two and add PSB, Boston Acoustics, and anything else that you run across.

As far as receivers go it all boils down to features and power. I happen to like Onkyos and Denons because they have the latest and greatest features and Audyssey flavors. But really the only difference in sound boils down to processing and you can't go wrong with Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha. Pick your speakers and then decide on the receiver basted on the power requirements of the speakers and the features that you want.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with sholling.

You wouldn't limit yourself to just Hyundais and Fords if you were car shopping, would you?

Maybe check out some Pioneer, Infinity, and EMP speakers :D

As for the SR-6005, I recommend getting whatever you get from accessories4less.com !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis