Polk Monitor 70 or Klipsch Synergy Tohttp://forums.audioholics.com/fwer Speaker (F2)

M

mnatiq

Audioholic
hey there guys i just bought a Yamaha HTR-6160B 7.2 receiver and currently own the HK HKTS14 5.1 home theater system. I am planning on getting new towers for the front i am looking at the Polk Monitor 70 and Klipsch Synergy Tower Speaker (F2). i dont know which one to choose. i heard them both and need a tie breaker as both sound really nice. i spoke to a couple of people who say the polk is much much better than the klipsch cuz of the frequency response and the 2 6-1/2" woofers and 2 6-1/2" mid/woofer. where as the klipsch has 2 6-1/2" total. the frequency response on the polk is 30Hz - 25kHz where as the klipsch has 39Hz - 23KHz.

the only thing that i dont understand is that the polks have 20 - 275 w/channel where as the klipsch is 100 Watts, 400 Watts (Peak). even though i heard them and they sounded the same.

so which one should i get and what is up with the low power on the polk

snappy_snoopy

snappy_snoopy

Audioholic
Well with regards to which one to get its a bit of a doosie :) well in my opinion the polk looks much better :rolleyes: i am a polk guy over klipsch any day.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What other speakers do you have access to? And what budget are you working with?

snappy_snoopy

snappy_snoopy

Audioholic
LOL i like polk the sounds is sweet. Plus remember that the polk power rating is only Watts (in rms) which is not peak power

snappy_snoopy

snappy_snoopy

Audioholic
And dont forget that when you are listening to speakers you will 90% of the time not be using their full power potential anyway as your ear drums will explode :eek:

(well not actually explode but you get the idea :rolleyes:)

The human ear hears volume on a logarithmic scale, this means that as you double the power the audio volume perceive is not doubled by a long way. Thats why you need to see the dB output of the speaker to determine how loud it can go and in my opinion these days all speakers can play pretty dam loud anyway so its more a matter of finding one which does not distort as you crank it up.
:D Have fun with the new polks if you already made up your mind. Post some pics when you get them ;)

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
hey there guys i just bought a Yamaha HTR-6160B 7.2 receiver and currently own the HK HKTS14 5.1 home theater system. I am planning on getting new towers for the front i am looking at the Polk Monitor 70 and Klipsch Synergy Tower Speaker (F2). i dont know which one to choose. i heard them both and need a tie breaker as both sound really nice. i spoke to a couple of people who say the polk is much much better than the klipsch cuz of the frequency response and the 2 6-1/2" woofers and 2 6-1/2" mid/woofer. where as the klipsch has 2 6-1/2" total. the frequency response on the polk is 30Hz - 25kHz where as the klipsch has 39Hz - 23KHz.

the only thing that i dont understand is that the polks have 20 - 275 w/channel where as the klipsch is 100 Watts, 400 Watts (Peak). even though i heard them and they sounded the same.

so which one should i get and what is up with the low power on the polk
It's a pretty steep slope at 30hz for the Polk so the difference in actual bass response will be similar between the two loudspeakers. Either AVR will run those speakers just fine. I like the mid-bass punch of the Polk and the dome tweeter as well. The horn loaded Klipsch Synergy line is just to harsh for me....but that's just my opinion. Don't lose sleep over the power ratings, they're both efficient and easy to drive. Good luck.

Mark

A/VUSMCSGT

A/VUSMCSGT

Audioholic
I'm running Polk TSi400 towers and I love em. Without knowing a ton about the Klipsch, I say go for POLK!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis