Polk Monitor 50 vs R50

kidintraffic

kidintraffic

Audioholic Intern
I ordered a pair of Polk R50s and a Polk CS2 center to begin my home theater setup. I like the sound of both, but I find the R50s to be a bit lacking in the low end. My questions is should I pick up another pair of R50s for my rears or pick up the Monitor 50s for the fronts and put the R50s in the rear? Logically the second option sounds better, but is it going to be worth the extra money?

How do the Monitor 50s sound compared to the R50s? Opinions on both. Thanks

R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern
What's sub and crossover frequency are you using? Neither of these speakers are bass hogs.

The difference between the R50's and Monitor 50's is minimal.

kidintraffic

kidintraffic

Audioholic Intern
I currently do not have a sub. I'm in the process of building a budget 5.1 system and I only purchase the fronts and center as of now. The subs that I am thinking about are the Dayton SUB-120 HT Series 12" and Dayton SUB-100 HT Series 10". If you have any other opinions please feel free to let me know.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I used to have the R30s and a CS2 center, with R15 surrounds, and for what I paid for the system, I thought it sounded really good, and I also found the R30s to have decent bass for what they were. Even though the R50s have an extra 6.5" woofer, I still doubt it will have enough bass to not use a sub, and I also doubt the Monitor 50s will as well. I would stick with the R50s for the rear, just to keep everything voice matched, and the sub 100 or sub 120 are good subs for the money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis