Polk LSiM 703 thoughts

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Curious to know people's opinions around here on the Polk LSiM703 bookshelf speakers. At 1500 I wouldn't suggest them. But at half price can I suggest them to a friend who wants them. They get great reviews. I know speakers are a personal choice on what you like. And to be honest, just about all Polk's I have listened to I have liked. I haven't heard these but they are like buy one get one right now. Thoughts on these???

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Curious to know people's opinions around here on the Polk LSiM703 bookshelf speakers. At 1500 I wouldn't suggest them. But at half price can I suggest them to a friend who wants them. They get great reviews. I know speakers are a personal choice on what you like. And to be honest, just about all Polk's I have listened to I have liked. I haven't heard these but they are like buy one get one right now. Thoughts on these???
The Polk LSi/LSiM speakers use the Vifa XT 25 Ring Radiator tweeter. Have not directly heard it in the Polks, but have heard that very same tweeter in Tyler Acoustic Freedom F-2 Monitors many years ago. One thing I noticed was just how wide and smooth the dispersion was. Needless to say, I really liked it.

However, even at their sale price I would look elsewhere. For example, I highly recommend the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs to the Polks. The B-stocks can be had for about $800 as set and they are easily worth every penny of it. Not saying the Polks are not good, but rather that there is better out there in the same price range. Have owned many Polks speakers myself over the years. But, the Ultra Bookshelfs are in another league inmho. BTW, you have a very nice setup yourself!

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks for the reply. 750.00 for the set seems like a good deal. I myself like the RAAL ribbon on my Ascends. I have a set of RBH SX6300R's that I never took a liking to. I would sell him these but he won't go for my asking price. I think these may collect dust for some time now. I will let him know about the SVS. Hadn't thought about them.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The LSiM703 are very good, they measure superbly every time: NRC, Audioholics, Stereophile. At 750 a pair, I would jump on that deal. A very neutral and accurate speaker.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the reply. 750.00 for the set seems like a good deal. I myself like the RAAL ribbon on my Ascends. I have a set of RBH SX6300R's that I never took a liking to. I would sell him these but he won't go for my asking price. I think these may collect dust for some time now. I will let him know about the SVS. Hadn't thought about them.
Have you thought about trying to sell the RBH6300's in the classifieds here on Audioholics? There is nothing wrong w/the Polks but most feel like for the price there are better options. However, as Shady pointed out at that price they may be a true steal. The SVS Ultras are also very good. The good thing is, the Ultra Bookshelfs come with a 5-year bumper to bumper warranty. Not sure what the warranty is on the Polks. It used to also be like 5-years. One day I hope to get to hear a RAAL Ribbon Tweeter. Best wishes on your decision.

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. I am just trying to help a co worker out. I am content with my current set up. In fact I don't get a lot of time to use my stuff. My hours tend to be later at night and I have been using headphones. Not the same experience but it's not bad.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks. I am just trying to help a co worker out. I am content with my current set up. In fact I don't get a lot of time to use my stuff. My hours tend to be later at night and I have been using headphones. Not the same experience but it's not bad.
Yeah, I hear you. Been using my JBL headphones a lot lately myself. Having a lot of trouble sleeping. So not to disturb my neighbors I opt for the phones instead. If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do not like about the 6300's? They look very impressive to me. Maybe you are not into Dome tweeters eh? BTW, what are you asking for them? Maybe I can help you sell them.

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The Rbh just sounds a little to muddy for me. The mids and highs are very very good. Just something on the low end doesn't jive with me. However I have to use a sub with my Ascends since the low end is not enough. I only wish the Ascends had a bit more low end and they would be a perfect 10 speaker. The RBH build quality is fantastic. They are solid tanks.
I was asking somewhere around 2 grand shipped.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Rbh just sounds a little to muddy for me. The mids and highs are very very good. Just something on the low end doesn't jive with me. However I have to use a sub with my Ascends since the low end is not enough. I only wish the Ascends had a bit more low end and they would be a perfect 10 speaker. The RBH build quality is fantastic. They are solid tanks.
I was asking somewhere around 2 grand shipped.
I see. Will gladly mention these to anyone I come across looking for towers. Do you have the original boxes/literature? Was looking at the Polk website and that really is a good deal on the LSiM series of speakers. Bet things are hopping at Polk right now.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Yes. I have the original boxes although they were beat to crap when my dealer got them. Not sure on the paper work. I'm sure i do somewhere. Thanks

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. I have the original boxes although they were beat to crap when my dealer got them. Not sure on the paper work. I'm sure i do somewhere. Thanks
Okay great. Will do my best to help you sell the 6300's! Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil

wldock

wldock

Enthusiast
You really have to listen to the 703's to know if you will like them or not. They are a rare three-way design bookie that sound like small towers. They are punchy on the low end and over-all are a pleasing speaker to listen to. Polk is know as an affordable speaker so in the Audiophile circles they don't always get the respect. However, the LSiM are probably their best speaker to date since their glory SDA days. Polk, put a lot of engineering into these and they do respond to good electronics.. I can see taste going both ways for these vs. the SVS. The list price might be a tough sell for some not so much for others. The sale price might a be steal for some and a expected price for others. The LSiM are also a great looking speaker in person.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1519034&d=1467137878

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1519058&d=1467138004

Great information Here:
Posted from: LSiM Series Tech Brief http://www.sohmerassoc.com/cedia_2011/sa_cedia_2011_downloads/polk_audio/LSiMSeries_technical_brief.pdf

Just some of the improvements they made to the XT25 design to make it there own.

Polk Audio said:
Enhanced Ring Radiator Tweeter Nuanced Design Changes

The advantages of the ring radiator tweeter are well documented. Suffice it to say that it has been vital to the performance and success of LSi, since the series’ inception. The tweeter is well known for its excellent accuracy and detail. Yet our engineers found that some nuanced improvements could be made to the design to serve their performance goals for the LSi ’s Dynamic Sonic Engine.

First, Polk engineers reshaped the tweeter’s bullet phase plug. This allowed the tweeter to be moved farther out on the baffle, which improved dispersion and eliminated horn loading.

Next, They opened up the tweeter’s faceplate, also to aid dispersion.

And finally, our engineers determined that covering a portion of the diaphragm roll eliminated energy coming off the dome and also improved dispersion. This ring radiator even has its own enclosure.

These subtle design changes, plus the excellent performance of the tweeter itself, have resulted in higher power handling, extended dynamic range, improved dispersion and extended top end response.
Polk Audio said:
More On The Ring Radiator Tweeter
Just like driver cones, tweeter diaphragms are prone to materialresonance that cause frequency response errors and distortion. Careful choice of material is important, as is the geometry of the diaphragm. Tweeter diaphragms must be able to vibrate at least 20,000 times per second! That’s fast, and it stands to reason that light weight is especially important in tweeters. But as we saw earlier, light, well-damped materials are not stiff and even a tweeter needs to be stiff to avoid ”decoupling” and other problems. A dome shape helps give the diaphragm greater structural integrity and stiffness.

Take a look at a cross-section of a typical tweeter dome. You can see that the dome is supported by the voice coil only along its circumference. That means there is a vast area of diaphragm that is not supported, making the tweeter prone to resonance developing in the dome material.The ultra-light, woven diaphragm is supported at two pivot points, with the voice coil attached roughly midpoint between the two pivots. With very small areas of unsupported material, there’s less opportunity for performance-robbing resonance to develop. The integrated phase plug prevents phase cancellations to maintain flat, smooth response both on- and off-axis.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ring radiators typically have tight dispersion windows...hence why some mfg are reluctant to use them. You can plainly see within the Polk statement they made several alterations to enhance the dispersion radiation that exist with RR in general.

Personally....I'd take a speaker with a well conceived dome or better yet...the RAAL....if attainable....I've not heard the LSi and always found the RT series average at best....of course this is highly subjective...☺

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Ring radiators typically have tight dispersion windows...hence why some mfg are reluctant to use them. You can plainly see within the Polk statement they made several alterations to enhance the dispersion radiation that exist with RR in general.

Personally....I'd take a speaker with a well conceived dome or better yet...the RAAL....if attainable....I've not heard the LSi and always found the RT series average at best....of course this is highly subjective...☺
Billy, like you I have NOT heard the Polk LSi/LSiM speakers w/the Vifa XT 25 Ring Radiator speakers either. As mentioned, Polk did some refinement to their use of it. But, I have heard the XT 25 on a set of Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-2 Monitors. The Freedom Series was Ty's entry level line at the time. Also got to hear the Linbrook Signature Monitors and/or the Taylo Reference Monitors.

The first thing that struck me was how wide and tall the dispersion was on the ring radiator tweeters. The top end was also very smooth and silky sounding to me. Honestly, I was totally blown away. Not sure what Ty did to get the ring radiator tweeters to sound so good, but they truly did. One of these days hope to hear the Polk LSi/LSiM speakers, as well as, a RAAL tweeter! Just curious as to how the Polk rendition of the Vifa XT 25 sounds compared to Ty's Freedom F-2 monitors. That certainly would be rather interesting.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis