Polk LSi 703's [Not a troll thred?]

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Hello,

I am quite an audio noob, I guess. I want to get into production (I am a musician.... yes, I actually spend time in the shed), and I need to get a pair of cheap reference speakers.

I can get a pair of LSi M 703 for approx 700 dollars. I have been looking around to see if this is a good deal. I stumbled upon quite a few positive reviews (in depth ones from what seemed to me to be reputable speaker fiends).

However, I also stumbled upon this thread: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/81149-polk-audio-lsim703-best-bookshelf-speakers-world.html

Now, having read the entire thread, I can't really determine what the precise issue is. What seems to permeate the thread is a general distaste for polk and polk products. I myself am related to one of the engineers at polk, so I have always been hesitant to fall in love with their products (i am trying to be prudent and not to be an ignorant fanboy).

I recently bought a pair of RTiA3's (the line that is one step lower than the LSi''s). I am happy with them, but definitely not impressed (of course my amp kinda sucks, I'm using crappy cable playing from my laptop, and the speakers are 2 feet from my face in a terrible listenning environment).
So I want to sell these and upgrade.

However this thread I posted made me a little anxious. I basically want to know

-what's up with the audio world's view of polk? I will extrapolate in a second.
-I can get the 703's for about 700 bux total. Is it worth it? Is there something markedly better out there for the same price?
-I guess I'm also looking for a nice, cheap receiver that will power these. I am going to be setting up a stuido, so the receiver should be geared towards that. I will be mixing in stereo. I play jazz and will also be making electronic music.

I will now extrapolate about my first question. This may be superfluous text to some of you. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
As I said, I am a relative of a polk engineer. I am not part of or related the company in any other way, so I am asking all this really out of curiosity. I recognize that my position tends me towards biased by default. So, like I said, I am always cautious to say I like a Polk product. I used to even say Bose was better.... just to irk said relative.... GLAD THAT'S OVER.

Hoever, I did notice a lot of negativity. What I have heard from some people is that Polk started becoming too commercial, or that their products just became sub-par? However, i also know Polk was started in a garage in baltimore by a speaker enthusiast, who also did sound reinforcement speakers and such for live shows.

Also, from what I can tell, one of the founders took basically the same Polk Technologies and work mentalities to Golden Ear, which I don't see get any hate.

In regards to the LSim 703's, one day, I know several of the engineers to consider them to be some of the best speakers polk has ever made. And they seem truly invested in their work, and none of them at all seem interested in becoming a commercial marketing powerhouse like Bose. And indeed, polk is not a very large company.

So what IS the unbiased deal with Polk? Also, are the 703's good or not? Even if polk was a commercial monster with sub-par products, couldn't they make a nice set of speakers? I know B&W has basically taken over best buy with the same sort of stuff, and I've heard their headphones.... yet they still have some gems (quite a few according to what I've read) I would like to see with eyes unclouded :).

So before I laid down 700 bux, I just wanted to make sure it was worth it. That thread I read kinda threw me off.... I had been reading very nice things prior to that.

Thanks guys. I know it was a long post.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
I just checked and I actually found them for a little under 600 bux.
So please adjust my question accordingly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

I am quite an audio noob, I guess. I want to get into production (I am a musician.... yes, I actually spend time in the shed), and I need to get a pair of cheap reference speakers.

I can get a pair of LSi M 703 for approx 700 dollars. I have been looking around to see if this is a good deal. I stumbled upon quite a few positive reviews (in depth ones from what seemed to me to be reputable speaker fiends).

However, I also stumbled upon this thread: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/81149-polk-audio-lsim703-best-bookshelf-speakers-world.html

Now, having read the entire thread, I can't really determine what the precise issue is. What seems to permeate the thread is a general distaste for polk and polk products. I myself am related to one of the engineers at polk, so I have always been hesitant to fall in love with their products (i am trying to be prudent and not to be an ignorant fanboy).

I recently bought a pair of RTiA3's (the line that is one step lower than the LSi''s). I am happy with them, but definitely not impressed (of course my amp kinda sucks, I'm using crappy cable playing from my laptop, and the speakers are 2 feet from my face in a terrible listenning environment).
So I want to sell these and upgrade.

However this thread I posted made me a little anxious. I basically want to know

-what's up with the audio world's view of polk? I will extrapolate in a second.
-I can get the 703's for about 700 bux total. Is it worth it? Is there something markedly better out there for the same price?
-I guess I'm also looking for a nice, cheap receiver that will power these. I am going to be setting up a stuido, so the receiver should be geared towards that. I will be mixing in stereo. I play jazz and will also be making electronic music.

I will now extrapolate about my first question. This may be superfluous text to some of you. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
As I said, I am a relative of a polk engineer. I am not part of or related the company in any other way, so I am asking all this really out of curiosity. I recognize that my position tends me towards biased by default. So, like I said, I am always cautious to say I like a Polk product. I used to even say Bose was better.... just to irk said relative.... GLAD THAT'S OVER.

Hoever, I did notice a lot of negativity. What I have heard from some people is that Polk started becoming too commercial, or that their products just became sub-par? However, i also know Polk was started in a garage in baltimore by a speaker enthusiast, who also did sound reinforcement speakers and such for live shows.

Also, from what I can tell, one of the founders took basically the same Polk Technologies and work mentalities to Golden Ear, which I don't see get any hate.

In regards to the LSim 703's, one day, I know several of the engineers to consider them to be some of the best speakers polk has ever made. And they seem truly invested in their work, and none of them at all seem interested in becoming a commercial marketing powerhouse like Bose. And indeed, polk is not a very large company.

So what IS the unbiased deal with Polk? Also, are the 703's good or not? Even if polk was a commercial monster with sub-par products, couldn't they make a nice set of speakers? I know B&W has basically taken over best buy with the same sort of stuff, and I've heard their headphones.... yet they still have some gems (quite a few according to what I've read) I would like to see with eyes unclouded :).

So before I laid down 700 bux, I just wanted to make sure it was worth it. That thread I read kinda threw me off.... I had been reading very nice things prior to that.

Thanks guys. I know it was a long post.
I don't think that price is per pair. Polk market by the speaker and not the pair. I can not find that speaker at the price you quote. Check the fine print.

I don't know that speaker, but I have to say I have always been very under whelmed by Polk speakers. In my view they have always had problems with driver integration.

Now that is a bookshelf speaker with an F3 of 50 Hz and a six inch woofer, yet it is a three way. Now every crossover point is a problem and potential source is big trouble. You really ought to be able to design a good two way and have one crossover for a speaker of that size ad spec.

If as I suspect they are around $1500 per pair, then they are in the price range of some very well respected professional monitor companies like ATC, who can show Polk the way home any day of the week.

If this is a 2 channel studio system a receiver seems a strange and poor choice to power it with.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I tend to agree with TLS Guy. First off your pricing is off. 2nd for $1500 there are the likes of Mackie, Tannoy, ATC, JBL etc... Polk is a consumer company serving consumer interest and therefore their product isn't going to be voiced to Mastering/Near Field work. You would honestly need to use them in your mastering suite.

While Guitar Center is perfect for getting ears on gear Polk is more and more an internet direct operation. I would have to drive almost two hours to visit a Polk in person.

Good luck.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
The MSRP is around 1500 per pair. I'm talking about getting them for approx. 600 a pair.

As far as the studio work goes, this would be the beginning of my rig.
I would also get actual powered monitors, which I also know next to nothing about.
I'm really coming from a background of musical study with almost no audio or production knowledge. I do know how to voice-lead, though........ for what it's worth.....

I did a google search for "lsi 703 sucks" in many different forms and couldn't find anything but one guy who seemed a very obvious troll.

This is another review I found: polklsmi703

I know that a lot of people mix on pretty crappy equipment starting out. All my friends who are producers have something like 200 dollar sets of sony's or JBL's. I think most end up with 5.25 and a 1 inch tweeter.

I was also asking about the general distaste for polk stuff. From what I hear, they were all the rage back in the 80's. I'm wondering what happened. As I mentioned, I, too, was underwhelmed by my RTiA3's. Sounds like a pretty standard midrange bookshelf, to me. However, I am an audio noob.

And you know, I might just end up using these for listening. But for the time being, I don't have that much cash, and I was thinking maybe these would be the best I could get for 600?

My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR503... I'm guessing it's not that great. The rear left channel also has a lot of white noise coming out of it... no idea what that's from or how to fix it.

I realize I'm in kinda over my head here, but I thought I'd jump in and learn as much as I can. Seems a good place to do that.

Thanks guys!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, most people will not associate Polk with "Reference" high quality accurate sound.

That does not mean you won't love the sound of the Polk speakers.

Names like Revel, KEF, TAD, etc, are more often associated with higher quality reference sound.

For cheaper "Reference" bookshelf speakers, I would probably go for the $400/pr NHT Absolute Zero, which has a 5-point Avg 200Hz-10kHz FR of +/-0.9dB.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The MSRP is around 1500 per pair. I'm talking about getting them for approx. 600 a pair.

As far as the studio work goes, this would be the beginning of my rig.
I would also get actual powered monitors, which I also know next to nothing about.
I'm really coming from a background of musical study with almost no audio or production knowledge. I do know how to voice-lead, though........ for what it's worth.....

I did a google search for "lsi 703 sucks" in many different forms and couldn't find anything but one guy who seemed a very obvious troll.

This is another review I found: polklsmi703

I know that a lot of people mix on pretty crappy equipment starting out. All my friends who are producers have something like 200 dollar sets of sony's or JBL's. I think most end up with 5.25 and a 1 inch tweeter.

I was also asking about the general distaste for polk stuff. From what I hear, they were all the rage back in the 80's. I'm wondering what happened. As I mentioned, I, too, was underwhelmed by my RTiA3's. Sounds like a pretty standard midrange bookshelf, to me. However, I am an audio noob.

And you know, I might just end up using these for listening. But for the time being, I don't have that much cash, and I was thinking maybe these would be the best I could get for 600?

My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR503... I'm guessing it's not that great. The rear left channel also has a lot of white noise coming out of it... no idea what that's from or how to fix it.

I realize I'm in kinda over my head here, but I thought I'd jump in and learn as much as I can. Seems a good place to do that.

Thanks guys!
Unless those speakers are used or grey market goods, you are not going to get them for $600 per pair. Show me where you can legit. The cheapest I can find is just over $600 each refurbished. I have done a careful search of legit sites.

Yes, a lot of people mix with crappy speakers and they get a crappy mix.

You really have not given enough information about what you are trying to do to give you any advice.

However recoding, mixing, editing and mastering are highly skilled tasks that have to be leaned. One of the skills required is to select the right equipment for the task at hand.

I would highly doubt those speakers are useful for mixing anything.

F

fokakis1

Audioholic Intern
Unless those speakers are used or grey market goods, you are not going to get them for $600 per pair. Show me where you can legit. The cheapest I can find is just over $600 each refurbished. I have done a careful search of legit sites.
That price looks like the Polk Friends&Family discount. If I'm right, that's a great deal and they are new (not refirbished). I've never heard those spx but if you're as curious as you sound go on and order them. You're getting a better price than a B/M authorized dealer's cost. If you're not impressed you can sell them used and most likely make a few $$.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I dunno, guys. Everything the OP here has written sounds an awful lot like someone who just wants "permission" to buy the Polk LSi bookshelf speakers with a big "thumbs up".

If you want them, you're attracted to them for some reason, and you're just going to come up with reasons to second guess every piece of advice offered, then all we're really doing here is trying to reason with someone who has already made his mind up, but just doesn't realize it yet ;)

I very much get the feeling that no matter what is said here, the OP is going to end up with those Polk LSi speakers. Folks just don't come to a forum asking about a specific product unless they've pretty much already settled on buying them. If the OP were asking what he should buy for a beginner's mixing/editing system with around $700 to spend on a pair of studio monitors, that would be different. But he's not. He's saying right off the bat that he really wants these Polk LSi speakers for some reason, he's already come across and read all the reasons why Polk is not often the best choice, he's already come up with his own reasons for ignoring or refuting that advice, so this just seems much more of a "reassure me and make me feel good about what I've already decided" type of situation.

And that's ok. We all get our start somewhere. And we all have our preferences. We've all made purchases that we regret later, or don't necessarily regret, but simply come to realize that if we had it to do over again, we'd likely buy something else instead. And we've all become enamoured with a product that didn't necessarily perform the best or represent the best choice or value, but for whatever reason, we just really wanted it, or got it stuck in our head somehow that it was what we wanted at the time!

If it were my money, if I were setting up a nicely treated studio, and I wanted to use passive monitors, I'd go straight for some Ascend CBM-170SE speakers with an HSU STF-2 subwoofer. If I were to use powered monitors, which I probably would for a mixing/editing setup, I'd go for some Focal Professional monitors if I could afford them. If not, I'd probably just go inexpensive and opt for the Behringer 2030A or the 2031A if I wanted more bass or had a larger room to fill. And if I had a completely untreated room to work in, and no budget or ability to get some room treatments in there, I'd go for the Emotiva Pro monitors to get that folded ribbon tweeter with its super forgiving off axis response to take as many room reflections out of the equation as possible.

The Polk LSi speakers would never make my list for studio work. The ring radiator tweeter is nice enough: super linear and very narrow dispersion that suits nearfield, single listening position setups just fine. But the midrange in those LSi speakers is WAY too va-va-vivid and inaccurate for studio work, IMO. Fun to listen to, but it will totally mess up your mixes if you try to translate work done on the LSi to other speakers. You'd wind up with very recessed, hollow sounding mixes on other setups until you learned to adjust your mixing technique to compensate for the LSi's mid-range. And you'll never integrate the mid-bass correctly with the LSi as your reference. There's no smooth transition from that LSi mid-range to the mid-bass, so you'd just be shooting blind every time, and literally guessing as to whether you were mixing in the 80-300Hz range with appropriate levels. And there's no learning to compensate for that. You've got a whole octave from 80Hz to 160Hz, and another entire octave from 160Hz to 320Hz where both drivers are working. And when they integrate as poorly as the Polk LSi speakers do, learning how to compensate for the interference between drivers in that range is impossible because literally each semi-tone in that octave has a different response. And unless you have absolute perfect pitch, it's just impossible to learn to adjust for each semi-tone individually over that entire mid-bass range of frequencies, not to mention utterly impossible when you're dealing with complex music with several instruments and/or voices in that range simultaneously.

But hey, you want those Polk LSi speakers for whatever reason, and you've already come up with reasons to ignore the advice you've read to stay away from them. So the easiest thing to do is to just go ahead and buy them. I'll give you permission :) And you can even come back and say how we're all crazy, and how you think they sound great, and how you can make out so much detail in their treble, and how you're so glad that you trusted your instincts and just went ahead and bought the Polks! I'm ready for that, because that LSi tweeter IS good, and the LSi speakers are a lot of fun to listen to!

But once you start noticing that your mixes don't translate the way you expect them to to any other speakers, you'll go through the phase where you tell yourself, "well that's just because other people's speakers suck!" And then you'll decide that it would still be better overall if your mixes at least sounded clear and understandable on other people's speakers, so you'll start to compensate for the mid-range. And that will work well enough until it starts to bother you that the mid-bass sounds wildly different from speaker system to speaker system, and you'll want to figure out how to nail that down and compensate for it, but it will just never happen for you. And after all that, you'll start to think, "well, maybe I could try using some different monitors other than the Polk LSi." ;)

But it'll be a fun journey getting there. And you'll learn a ton. And then you'll get some accurate monitors and you'll have to unlearn all of your listening habits, and re-learn how to mix using accurate sound! But once you go through that adjustment, you'll find that your mixes translate wonderfully, your dialogue and voices sound clear and intelligible on almost any set of speakers, and your mid-bass, while still at the mercy of the system playing it back, won't sound wildly different from system to system, and you'll be able to work it in the studio to get it to sound the way you want, rather than just guessing at it and hoping for the best every time.

So, best of luck. You can save yourself a lot of time, and a reasonable chunk of money by getting some accurate monitors right off the bat instead. But you won't learn as much. And you won't have the satisfaction of having bought the speakers that you are clearly enamoured with at this moment, and are looking for any reason to love and buy! Well, there's a great reason to buy them: they'll give you a fantastic firsthand education as to why nobody here recommends them for studio work! There's no substitute for learning your life lessons on your own terms, and having your own epiphanies and hard earned experiences to draw and build upon. No one can tell you in words what it's really like to work on a mix for days or even weeks. To fine tune it and agonize over it, only to have it sound wildly and unexpectedly different when you hear it played back in your friend's car, or on the radio, or in a friend's home, or even just your own stereo upstairs! To go back into your studio and re-work that mix until your brain is fried and your eyes feel like they're bleeding, and to get to a point where you feel like you've succeeded, until you work on your next mix, apply the lessons and compensation that you learned the last time, and then STILL end up with wildly different and unexpected sounds when you hear this new mix in your friend's car again!

If you skip a large portion of that frustration by starting with accurate monitors that translate well right off the bat, you'll never appreciate what those accurate monitors are really worth! You'll never really understand for yourself the value of the tools that you use to make your mixes. And make no mistake, studio monitor speakers are tools - very precise and important ones. But who is the better mixer? The guy who had the best tools handed to him right off the bat, but never knew anything different, and never had to rack his brain figuring out why his mixes weren't translating the way he expected them to? Or the guy who started with crappy tools, but learned every trick in the book to get the most out of them, and how to compensate, and find work-arounds, and trick his mixing table or software to get his mix to where he wanted it?

Well, I'd say there's enough challenge in mixing and translation that starting with good tools still leaves you with enough other hurdles that you can still learn plenty of lessons on your own! But there's definitely something to be said for the guys who started out with far crappier gear than the LSi speakers, and really nailed down a practical understanding of what every tiny, possible adjustment does because of it.

So it depends on your personality. If you're the studious type who is going to labor over every mix regardless, and try every variable, and mess with your mixes even after they sound fantastic, then don't hobble yourself with inaccurate speakers just for the sake of it. If you're that type of person, start with the best gear that you can, because you're going to find every trick and lesson anyway if that's just your nature. But if you're someone who tends to only change when he's forced to, you're actually better off with the less than accurate gear at the beginning. You need the frustration, the headaches, and the slaps in the face that those rusty tools will provide. They'll force you to learn, and to look for solutions that accurate tools will deprive you of searching for.

Making a snap judgement of your personality based on what you've written? I'd say you're someone who likes to think he's the studious, self-learner type, but you're actually the second ;) I think you probably work best, and get your best results when you're struggling against someone else. When someone is telling you to do things one way, so you insist on doing it your own way. And even when your way turns out to be crap, you still keep at it, until you eventually find success, which is probably how you were told to do it in the first place, but you had to get to that method on your own, and now you're that much better for all of it!

So, strange as it might sound, I say go for the Polk LSi! They're actually probably what you need in the long run. They'll make you a better mixer in the end. And I suspect you're going to buy them regardless, anyway. So we're basically back to where we started, and I probably could have just avoided typing all of this and wound up with the same result. But this post isn't really for the OP. It's for everyone else. And for me to show off how either shockingly right I am, or insanely wrong, and wonderfully arrogant either way :D

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Crackin post ,.reflection guy :)

You've got to be some sort of head doctor

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Ascend CBM-170SE speakers with an HSU STF-2 subwoofer.
Focal Professional monitors if I could afford them. If not, I'd probably just go inexpensive and opt for the Behringer 2030A or the 2031A
And if I had a completely untreated room to work in, and no budget or ability to get some room treatments in there, I'd go for the Emotiva Pro

Well......
To be completely honest, you're judgements and assumptions are a little vexing, man.

Thank you for finally telling me what was wrong with the LSi's, though. That's really what I was getting at.
And yes, I'm am getting them discounted.
And yes, they will be replacing my RTi's, which I'm not too fond of, and will be selling.

I don't think I ever really thought I could mix on the LSi's. I'd just have them for listening. But since I'm thinking a lot about production and how I'm going to approach it, I guess my intentions got a little mixed up.
I did want recommendations on good monitors for under $1k, which I thank you for.

But I SHOULD take from your post that at 600 dollars there's not really a better deal I'll be getting for bookshelves? I realized that I really do need some speakers just for entertainment. Currently, I just have the RTi's which will be replaced by my next purchase, whether it be the LSi's or something else that gets suggested here.
And with that in mind, any tips on the receiver? The white noise? Or should I just replace it? Is an Onkyo TX-SR503 worth keeping to power whatever my next purchase is?

So, to draw a clear picture of what I would like to get done in the near future:
-Get good speakers for listening. Whether it's the LSi's or not, I would like to upgrade from the RTi's which are kinda "meh." I can get the LSi's for around 600, though, and that's about what I want to pay at this point. So, I was just making sure there weren't better deals out there.
-I will be setting up a studio. First off, I will be doing very little recording. I simply don't have the space or the ability to treat a room (or rooms) right now. So my biggest concern is what monitors I will be getting (and of course, the sub). My budget is, again, around 800 for the pair, and 600-800 for the sub. I'm willing to bend on those numbers, if something is PARTICULARLY nice. This purchase will happen AFTER I save up again, AFTER I get my new loudspeakers for listening.
-I play jazz mostly, but I guess I'll be mixing a lot of electronic music, as well. So that requires some bass. Just sayin'. If suggestions could be made with that in mind, I would be grateful XD

I plan on moving in the next couple of years. Setting up a studio now with anything permanent would be a bad idea. So for the time being, the only things I would do are what you guys can suggest for easy improvements on a small 13x13 room (like putting foam on the walls? Idk this stuff). I will be using Pro Tools, Logic, Reason, Ableton/Massive, and whatever other old software I can find in my box of cd's (my college hooked me UP with some software). I currently have almost 0 equipment. I have a USB sound card and audio interface (I have a UX2). I have a 2 octave midi controller.... 2 octaves..... V_V
So, even links you guys have where I can study up on all the various parts of production and studio setup would be greatly appreciated.

In my personal opinion (while I'm pretty sure your two-personality philosophy doesn't meet the nuances of life quite well enough), it is those who learn what they are doing wrong the most who have the deepest understanding of the process in which they partake.
In music, you need to learn how to break the rules, too, for instance. And from a psychological standpoint, there is no better way to learn something than to do it on your own initiative. Quite easy to sit through a lecture and learn nothing. Dat hippocampus.
So, for instance, that kid who's been forced to play piano by their parents until they believed themselves that they actually liked piano.......... that kid will never be as good a musician as the one who picked up the instrument on their own. That's my opinion. I think a lot of that would hold true for production, as well.

My personal opinion is that if one takes advice arbitrarily for the sole purpose of saving time an energy toward their "passion,'' then it's not really that much of a passion, anyway. For instance, you can learn all the bird licks you want, but at the end of the day, if you don't spend that time tripping and stumbling through bebop on your own, you'll just be another mundane regurgitate-r of bird licks. Pretty sure bird did those the best, anyway.

So, to respond to your diagnosis..... I am willing to make actual personal investment in the craft. In some cases this will include saving time and effort, in others, such a goal would be less than beneficial in the long run.

In this case, I really know nothing about speakers as of yet. Hopefully having the bookshelves to compare to the monitors I get will open my ears to some juicy realizations. I also have some older satellites (3.5"w 1"t) and a crappy 8" sub. So having the "bad speakers" to compare the "good speakers" you guys suggest is already there for me. Basically, I'm saying that in this case it would be best for me to defer to your judgement.

So what, pray, are your judgements? :D I hope that we keep them a little less psychoanalytic from this point on XD

P.S. No I don't have perfect pitch, but I'm pretty good at F and A.

Last edited:
W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Also, I haven't come along and read why polk is not often the best choice, as you said.

In fact, I keep reading that these are fantastic speakers, but I am wary, by default, for reasons that I explained.

My more careful search left me on this site and curious. Thus registering. Thus posting.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you are getting them at Employee discount then go for it. The only thing that is going to compete is some other companies product at costs.

Let us all know how it turns out.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Well,

I think I'm going to get them, but I'm still going to wait for a few other people to weigh in.

I'm still interested in the powered monitors, my receiver, and any other tips you guys have in response to my various questions.

Thanks! Seems like a great forum!

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I'd call it a no brainer. You've got the funds and you're getting a huge discount. If you get them and decide they aren't for you, sell them and either make some coin or pass along the savings to another person..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL, so if you've convinced yourself, then why are you still asking? If they work for you price and sound wise, get them. That's all there is to it.

I owned LSi7s for about a year and based on them, I didn't bother to listen to the LSiMs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well,

I think I'm going to get them, but I'm still going to wait for a few other people to weigh in.

I'm still interested in the powered monitors, my receiver, and any other tips you guys have in response to my various questions.

Thanks! Seems like a great forum!
Well, I may be offending some Polk owners, but I would not buy Polk. Sorry. I think you should consider other speakers like NHT, JBL, Revel, KEF, Focal, and B&W.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
What we really have to ask is..
Can he get anything better than $1500 polk's
For $600..?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For $600..?

IMHO, it doesn't matter if the "MSRP" of the Polk is "$3000" and he can get them for $600. But that's just me and my opinion since he asked for opinions. Again, I apologize for offending, but that's just my big mouth talking :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For $600..?

I haven't heard either, but for my $600, I think I would be going with Ascends.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis