Plugging Bose cubes directly to Onkyo TXSR606

D

dontknowabouthd

Audiophyte
Let me first say that I am a newbie - trying to get educated on the intricacies of Home Theater. I have recently purchased the Onkyo TX-SR606 with DefTech ProCinema 60 speakers. Probably not the best setup, but for my first Home Theater, I'm very happy. This is a 5.1 system and I have recently "inherited" 2 used Bose Accoustimass 6 (series 1) cube speakers. I know that they are not the best speakers, but since I have them, I was thinking about using them as surround back speakers to make my system 7.1.

The problem is that I don't have the subwoofer that comes with the Accoustimass cubes. I understand that the cubes are supposed to be plugged into the Bose subwoofer to prevent low ranges from going to the cubes since they can't handle them. I've heard that if the cubes are plugged directly into the Onkyo, the cubes and/or receiver can blow.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can make this work by adjusting some setting on the Onkyo. I know that the majority of you would say to get rid of these, Bose, but since I have them and having 7.1 is a plus (not a requirement), I'm trying to make this work. If I can't then I'll probably stick with the 5.1.

Thanks for the help!

D

daleB

Audiophyte
Hi dontknow,not really recommended,but I had the am6 bose and ran the rears without going through the sub. It didn't seem to hurt them any. I have since got rid of them and upgraded.To many lousey wires to run a bose system any way.

S

sptrout

Audioholic
The only thing that I could recommend is that you set the 606's crossover frequency for the Bose Speakers to as high as is possible. (You do have a real subwoofer correct? You really do not say.) The Cubes have no bass capability and not much capability in the higher frequencies either. If you do not have a subwoofer, sending the entire 20Hz-20kHZ to the Cubes will just make them distortion & noise generators.

To be honest, I do not think it would be worth the trouble. I do not think that you will even hear them. For my channels 6 & 7 I am using ceiling speakers that were installed by the builder of my home 12 years ago. Problems: 1) poor speakers compared to my much, much better main and surround speakers, and 2) they are in the wrong location for ideal 7.1 reproduction (far apart, almost above the L&R surrounds). Net results even with a true 7.1 sound track, I almost never notice them. If it was me, I would forget about using the Cubes and just go with 5.1 until you are ready to buy better speakers for channels 6 & 7.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
It's probably more to do with impedance. Your receiver can likely handle down to 6 ohms. I think the Bose cubes are much lower than that.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
It's probably more to do with impedance. Your receiver can likely handle down to 6 ohms. I think the Bose cubes are much lower than that.
I refuse to believe an Onkyo 606 can't drive cubes--even Bose. Yeah, the 606 might spit blood with some ribbon bookshelves or a couple of Wilson Alexandrias but cubes? The Audioholic in me says to set the crossover to 120 Hz then calibrate with SPL and measuring tape. The realist in me says hook them up and run Audyssey and be done with it! :D

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
As others have alluded to here, I think you are kind of shooting in the breeze with this effort for 7.1....IMO, just put the bose in the garbage disposal (not really :)), and wait until you can purchase a proper 6th and 7th channel. Doing what you are suggesting will probably just be taking away from your systems sound quality as opposed to accentuating it....

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
just check the impedance of the cubes with an ohm meter and see if it's at least 4 ohms !

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
A number of years ago Crutchfield use to sell "bass blockers" for car audio applications. I think they are just a simple electronic component. You might try talking to one of their advisers and see if you can still get them or purchase an equivalent electronic component.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
A number of years ago Crutchfield use to sell "bass blockers" for car audio applications. I think they are just a simple electronic component. You might try talking to one of their advisers and see if you can still get them or purchase an equivalent electronic component.
I think what you are talking about is simply a non-polar capacitor ,around 100 mf,

like this http://www.itcelectronics.com/product_info.php?cPath=1174_1280&products_id=1770
or this http://www.itcelectronics.com/product_info.php?cPath=1174_1280&products_id=1771 would work for that purpose,

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1

but that's not needed, the Audyssey 2EQ on the 606 will set x-over points for them,providing they are a safe impedance to run.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If you really have your heart set on hooking them up, and feel like experimenting, that's one thing.

I think there are a few things to consider.
It will be a lot of work running wires for a 7.1 setup. Maybe try using them as rears in a 5.1 and see what you think.

Next: The bose uses really small, cheap drivers; so you may not like what you hear.

As for impedance; a driver that small really won't present as much a load to the amp.
Even if it's 4 Ohms, the driver is simply too small to draw much power; especially as rear surrounds.

Measuring a speaker impedance with an Ohm meter at the speaker lugs won't give you a 'real world' reading.
A speaker isn't a static load; so impedance changes, depending on input.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
As others have alluded to here, I think you are kind of shooting in the breeze with this effort for 7.1....IMO, just put the bose in the garbage disposal (not really :)), and wait until you can purchase a proper 6th and 7th channel. Doing what you are suggesting will probably just be taking away from your systems sound quality as opposed to accentuating it....
Come on, guys! These are rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup. These aren't mains or even the regular surrounds. The OP has a 606, so he/she won't be matrixing high res 5.1 into 7.1 He/she will be hearing the rears on a few 7.1 Blu-Ray tracks, maybe some 6.1 DD-EX/DTS stuff on DVD plus some DD-EX stuff courtesy of CBS NFL football and Encore HD. That's about it.

I do my fair share of Bose, Sony and other brand bashing, but this is ridiculous. These are rear surrounds. We should at least be encouraging the OP to hook them up and hear if they're worth a damn.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
Come on, guys! These are rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup. These aren't mains or even the regular surrounds. The OP has a 606, so he/she won't be matrixing high res 5.1 into 7.1 He/she will be hearing the rears on a few 7.1 Blu-Ray tracks, maybe some 6.1 DD-EX/DTS stuff on DVD plus some DD-EX stuff courtesy of CBS NFL football and Encore HD. That's about it.

I do my fair share of Bose, Sony and other brand bashing, but this is ridiculous. These are rear surrounds. We should at least be encouraging the OP to hook them up and hear if they're worth a damn.
I agree. I had a pair of the cubes connected to the rears without the bass module and it worked fine. Cross them over at 120Hz and it will be fine.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I can only speak for myself; and regardless of brand I be disappointed in the sound of a 2 or 3 inch speaker.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think ebaying them could net you some good cash. But outside of that I don't think it would do any harm. I use Kef 2001.2s which aren't huge speakers and they can go down to 80hz so certainly the cubes could handle 120. Which is as low as many surrounds go. I doubt you blow them. You really have to drive speakers hard to blow them. Bose main problem is the frequency response. Don't expect a great low or high end, but the middle stuff will be just fine.

Still put them up on ebay and you might get some funds to buy some better stuff with.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis