Please tell me your ideas.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
Right now I have a couple def tech mythos fours for my fronts and a jbl center. I would like to upgrade my centers and fronts to a matching set, but I'm not exactly sure exactly what I need to be spending to really "qualify" my upgrade. I do not have pristine ears to tell the difference in super hi end audio but I really do appreciate a nice surround sound. So I don't feel comfortable spending money that my wife and I can't hear a difference in.

Just looking around I was possibly thinking about the Aperion versus grand bookshelf with a matching center. Would this be a OMG amazing difference upgrade, or more , hmm I guess they're better.

I am also open to other ideas somewhere around the price range.

TIA

Room is 13x 20 with 18ft ceiling

To be used exclusively with movies.

other available relavant equipment

2 paradigm pdr10's

1 svs pb12-nsd

2 cinema series surround paradigms

1 Yamaha rxv667

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
Anyone?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tough to say, since you are talking about some rather different speakers. Aperion offers in-home trials, so your best bet with them is probably to try a pair out and see if you like them. I do think that's a good choice. What's the price range? That's a big room, so I'd look for something with good sensitivity and probably 8 Ohm impedance.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
What will the impedance matter concerning room size?

What do you think about Sierra-1?

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
If you have a big room, lower sensitivity speakers, or listen loudly (or a combination of the 3), it will work your receiver harder and that could shorten its useful life.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would recommend waiting until EMP Tek E55Ti Tower Speakers gets back in stock or replaced by better model
I heard them and was very impressed. Get a e55ti a matching center E56Ci. re-use your existing speakers for surround duty

For subs - I see you have dual 10" and a single 12". So you use 3 subs in this room?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What will the impedance matter concerning room size?

What do you think about Sierra-1?
Sierra 1 is also excellent, but your receiver in that room might be pushing it power wise. The CMT-340SEs would be a better match, but not quite the same class of speaker. You have a larger room, so for low impedance speakers, you will need an amp.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
No, I don't use 3 subs in there, I was just mentioning some stuff I had. I use one of the PDR s with a Boston Acoustics VR setup in my gaming room in the PC.

I am seriously looking at the sierra-1 vs the versus grand. Someone on another forum said that they didn't think the versus could fill my room, but that the sierra 1 s could. Other than the impedance difference I don't see how that would happen. But I am by no means an expert.

Any thoughts on the quality difference between the Sierra and the versus grand?

The versus are cheaper for the left and right but the versus grand center is so much more than the Sierra center.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
so I just called out to Ascend and they recommended the cmt-340 s over the Sierra 1 because my main use is home theater.

I wonder if the 340 s would even be a step up from my def tech mythos fours and jbl center that I already have sitting there?

opinons please, are these in the same league?

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Is there anything you dont like about the mythos? If not, why not try a 3 way deft tech center and get a pair of subs?

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
Is there anything you dont like about the mythos? If not, why not try a 3 way deft tech center and get a pair of subs?

I just don t have that "wow" factor with my soundstage. It just seems kind of bland and not really impacting. I wouldnt think it s an issue with bass, I have plenty of that. In fact when I do that YPAO it tries to knock it down to -10db.

I did get to audition some signature s2's with signature 3 center and I really liked that, I have just always heard that you can get more bang for your buck with the ID speaker companies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis