Please recommend a subwoofer(s) for my 2-channel music-only system.

D

DmitryЖ

Audiophyte
Magnepan 3.6/R speakers with a frequency response: 34Hz-40kHz, ±3dB. Small room, 16Lx13Wx7H. Room is open at the back. I have a McIntosh MEN220 unit with RoomPerfect room correction system, which has an active crossover function that I would like to use with the subwoofer. Magnepans are an amazing speaker, but I would very much like that last bit of the finishing touch on the very low end.
I've read conflicting opinions whether one or two subwoofers would be better.
Lastly, my subwoofer budget is up to $2,500, but I wouldn't mind staying on the lower end of that, if the difference between a very good less expensive subwoofer versus a pricier one is just the cosmetics.
Thanks!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If you don’t mind waiting a bit I think a pair of the new HSU VTF-TN1 subs would be very hard to beat at that price.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on the Maggies, great speakers and when set up properly they are superb. As for subs, IMO 'if' you have the room and the budget, 2 are better than 1. Given you somewhat small room(for 3.6 Maggies) I'd suspect a pair of 10 or 12 inch subs would do nicely.

I'll let the sub experts chime in here with recommendations within your budget

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Magnepan 3.6/R speakers with a frequency response: 34Hz-40kHz, ±3dB. Small room, 16Lx13Wx7H. Room is open at the back. I have a McIntosh MEN220 unit with RoomPerfect room correction system, which has an active crossover function that I would like to use with the subwoofer. Magnepans are an amazing speaker, but I would very much like that last bit of the finishing touch on the very low end.
Lastly, my subwoofer budget is up to $2,500, but I wouldn't mind staying on the lower end of that, if the difference between a very good less expensive subwoofer versus a pricier one is just the cosmetics.
Thanks!
Look for a sub(s) that have low group delay and that fit your budget and output needs.

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Thanks!
I'd take a look at the reviews here and see which fits your budget and space. Plenty of good brands that tested well for that budget.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
If it’s just music and not movies you won’t need much if any infrasonic output which achieving is what drives subwoofer price up to do well. Dual SVS SB3000’s come in just under budget and are pretty tough to beat. In your room they will have considerable output from 20hz and up and will definitely energize your room. They are also going to be smaller than just about anything remotely close in price and output.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
If you get two subs you can get more output with less stress (compression) from each individual sub meaning less distortion. Most go with sealed subs for a smaller footprint or ported if the larger size doesn’t matter. Because you have nice speakers I would opt for two subs to create less distortion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis