Please help with receiver/ surround sound compatibility question

C

Cgill740

Audiophyte
Good evening all,

I am replacing my cheap Sony DAV-HDX274 with Energy 5.1 Take Classic. In discussing my current system with the "professional" at Best Buy, I was informed that my current Sony receiver would be compatible with the Energy system so I purchased the Energy system.

So I just figured out setup in an unusual room layout and mount all the speakers, I go to hook up the sub woofer and discover a huge problem. My current system has just 1 positive and 1 negative input connection. The Energy subwoofer has 2 positive (left and right) and 2 negative (left and right) connections. I believe this shows my current Sony receiver is not compatible.

This leads me to my question. I am looking for an inexpensive receiver that would in fact be compatible with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good evening all,

I am replacing my cheap Sony DAV-HDX274 with Energy 5.1 Take Classic. In discussing my current system with the "professional" at Best Buy, I was informed that my current Sony receiver would be compatible with the Energy system so I purchased the Energy system.

So I just figured out setup in an unusual room layout and mount all the speakers, I go to hook up the sub woofer and discover a huge problem. My current system has just 1 positive and 1 negative input connection. The Energy subwoofer has 2 positive (left and right) and 2 negative (left and right) connections. I believe this shows my current Sony receiver is not compatible.

This leads me to my question. I am looking for an inexpensive receiver that would in fact be compatible with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Your problem is you bought a cheap HTIB. You sub is not powered on your Sony system.

Any stand alone receiver will do what you want. I would caution you about buying at the low end of a manufacturers range. These units tend to have short lives. Go for the mid price models, and if price is a issue take your chance with a refurb.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
In all honesty, you can't lay this on the Blue shirt. Any, and I mean ANY "real" receier is compatible with that Energy system in that it expects the industry standard line-level LFE output delivered vis RCA jacks. It's not his fault that you have perhaps one of the cheapest HTIB systems ever made that's designed to work only with the cheap-arse speakers it's supplied with. What you have is little more than a table radio.

But, you could always use only one pair of speaker terminals on the energy sub. Then, everybody appy, right?

C

Cgill740

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help guys. It is much appreciated. I am loving the new speakers. They are quite an upgrade from the Sony speakers. I will have to sit for a few weeks to get the av receiver and hook up the subwoofer. We are still recovering from a rather costly surgery on one of our dogs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis