Please Help - Volume Control/Setup Question

N

Nick_55

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

Alright so I'm hooking a PC 5.1 system (a decade old Altec-Lansing ADA995) into my 2012 Sony tv. Based on the last few days of research I've concluded my best way to make this work is as follows:

TV Optical Out -->
Digital-Analog Converter (Optical cable in, 6x RCA out) -->
Red/White RCA - 3.5 converters x3 -->
Yellow/Green/Black 3.5s that plug into the speaker system

If thats confusing, I'll put it into words: The Altec's use the triple 3.5 cords (Green/Yellow/Black), meaning I have to convert them into RCA format (hence the three converter cables - each 3.5 gets split into a double RCA, leaving me with the 6 RCAs) which are then plugged into a Digital-Analog Converter (DAC), which an optical audio cable is feeding from the DAC back into the TV (or xbox, etc). However, this setup leaves me with no volume control, since the Altec's have no external volume control (by original design)

My question is this: What can I insert into this setup to get volume control, and where would it go in the chain?

Extra detail: I have used these as speakers hooked up through Apple airplay (a 3x 3.5 splitter that the Yellow/Green/Black were plugged into that I then plugged into an Apple airport) and I could control volume through iTunes with that setup, so I do know that they respond to volume control.

Thanks in advance! Sorry it's a tad confusing

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Nick!

Have you looked for DACs with a built-in volume control? I did a quick search, but nothing extensive...and didn't find what I was looking for.

You could easily add analog volume controls (just potentiometers) between the Altec 3.5mm jacks and the 3.5mm-to-RCA cables, but they would adjust the volume independently for each two-speaker connection. Those would be something like this one from Koss (and there are many versions of that kind of connection, some much less expensive, and you might have some from other headphones). You can also buy similar items for RCA connections.

I'm guessing that someone sells a three-jack volume control, but my Google Fu is failing me right now. You could also build one yourself if you're handy.

N

Nick_55

Audiophyte
Adam, thanks glad to be here. First off, thank you very much for the help.

I did look for a DAC with the built in volume control, and was shocked to find nothing as well (nothing too great in general, and really nothing at all that outputs to 5.1).

That is exactly the sort of work-through I'm looking for, although I have a few questions about it if you dont mind.

First off, I found this which if I'm not mistaken is essentially three RCA Level Controllers built into one box - Your "three jack" control version. However, it doesn't have three input/output, only three input with a single output. So (and please correct me if I'm wrong, I know sound treatment and mixing but nothing about the home theater side of audio) this isn't actually doing what I need, and I would be better off simply buying three of the version you linked to above correct? (because that way I get three inputs and three outputs)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLMX51S?siid=173429&-C9_FkSJADo58iMrZHD5s01YvR_Z1Z5DmXH5JaEJLqAXxqqaZjHQwoA3xoC03Xw_wcB=

Now, my next question: If I did it this way, and just had the three separate RCA controllers I used to control volume, is the system actually getting a 5.1 sound out? Or would I be better off just buying one of these, plugging it right into the RCA (single channel, just one white and one red) out from the TV and condensing the whole system down to a 5 speaker version of stereo. Essentially, what I'm asking is would this workaround of three separate RCA level controllers actually maintain a true 5.1 sound, or does that process dumb it down anyway (and again, I have a fuzzy understanding of surround etc. so please have patience if what I just said makes no sense).

I'm unfortunately not quite handy enough with soldering to really put one together myself, but I'll build a great wooden stand for it all to go in!

Thanks again for all of the help Adam!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Nick, if you put a volume dial in the system (including if you use three of them, one on each 3.5mm stereo jack), it will still be 5.1 sound. You'd just be adjusting the signal level that your speakers see.

However, that just seems like a large pain to adjust three dials each time that you want to turn the volume up or down. :) Btw, if you do go that route, look for cheaper versions - Monoprice has some for about $2.

Before spending any money on a fix like that, I have a suggestion - look for an inexpensive 5.1 receiver, including a used one. Look for one with an optical audio input (obviously :D), and maybe even pre-amp outputs. You can connect those speakers up to a receiver, but it looks like you'd have to modify the connectors (or just cut them off). If you got a receiver with pre-amp outputs (which are RCA outputs for each speaker channel), then you could hook up your speaker system like you're used to doing, except that you'd be controlling the volume with a receiver...and hopefully with a remote control. Finding a DAC with a volume control is possible but probably much more expensive than just getting a low-end receiver because there just aren't that many of them out there (that I know of), but there are millions of receivers.

For your specified needs, you don't need HDMI or any of that, so a receiver from the 90's would work for you. However, you might just want to get an inexpensive newer receiver with more options in case you want to connect up more things (maybe with HDMI). Just a thought.

N

Nick_55

Audiophyte
Adam,

Really appreciate the thoughts and help. Am indeed moving forward trying to find an old analog receiver, and if all else fails will just have to run the RCA volume control workaround. One final question if you don't mind: My TV runs a Digital Optical Out, which was why I had the DAC feeding through to RCA. I will still need this step, and then go RCA in and RCA out of any receiver I find, correct?

Thanks again,

Nick

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Nick, are you intending to distribute the Altec speakers around the room, as they should be for proper surround sound? Or all they all going to sit up at the TV?

If the latter, it’s pointless. In that case just connect the two speakers that are the front left and right to the TV directly, using its stereo RCA audio outputs. Assuming the TV's audio outputs are variable and controlled by the remote, that will solve the volume-control issue.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
One final question if you don't mind: My TV runs a Digital Optical Out, which was why I had the DAC feeding through to RCA. I will still need this step, and then go RCA in and RCA out of any receiver I find, correct?
I don't mind at all. :) If you get a receiver with a digital optical input, then you'd plug the TV directly into the receiver. Those types of inputs have been pretty common for over 15 years, so my guess is that you'll be able to find several used ones with an optical input.

N

Nick_55

Audiophyte
Great, thanks for the input Wayne and thanks for all of the help Adam!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis