T

totalvideo2

Enthusiast
im very new to the av world and just bought a sub for my computer system was wondering what the phase does? turning the dial seems to have no increase or decrease in sound of any kind. thanks

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
To put it simply the crossover creates a bit of overlap (for a smooth blend) where the subwoofer and speaker are both producing the same frequencies. If the sound waves from the speaker and subwoofer are 180 degrees out of phase when they reach your ear the sound waves within those overlapping frequencies will to some degree cancel each other out creating a dip in bass volume in that region. Setting the phase switch/dial isn't a one person job, you need to be listening from your normal listening spot while someone else moves the dial.

In your case (computer distances) as long as the speakers and sub are roughly the same distance from your ear then a setting of "0" will probably be fine.

Last edited:
T

thaisbeats

Enthusiast
you should try it and play with the dial and see what sound suits you better its to adjust the sub from the main speakers i think whether you want all the sub to handle all low frequency or put some to the mains good luck!

T

toddious

Audioholic Intern
you should try it and play with the dial and see what sound suits you better its to adjust the sub from the main speakers i think whether you want all the sub to handle all low frequency or put some to the mains good luck!
One of the big things with subwoofers is location, since the sound waves are so large. Try placing it in different locations and listening to it with the phase at 90/180.

Another old trick is the place the subwoofer where you normally listen from, then walk around and see where it sounds best and put the subwoofer there.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Thaisbeats:
Just so the member who posted the question on phase doesnt get the weong info id have to correct your post. The phase does not change how much the sub does or doesnt put out in comparison to the speakers. Thats what the crossover does. The Phase changes how the driver (speaker) moves. If the drivers inyour speaker & the driver in the sub move in&out out of sync then the waves can cancel eachother out where you set. This would cause you to miss out on some frequencies. So you adjust the phase to make sure the speakers & sub are working TOGETHER in "harmony", therefore giving your ears ALL the frequecy range you should be getting.

There is a much more technical & correct way of describing Phase but im trying to simplify it so everyone can understand :)

Hopefully i dont cause more confusion haha!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis