please help me crossover settings

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
so I have a pioneer elite vsx-53 avr adcom 7607 amp lsi 15 towers and a velodyne deq-r sub my question is what do I set me crossover hz to to get the best bass

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
well I did that already but I just want to make sure the MHz is set right I mean the frequency

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
what does it mean when it says cross over your speakers to 80hz

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What did it set it to? For the 15s, I'd expect it would set them to large and set the sub low, but you could probably cross them at like 60 which would give a good blend and keep the sub in the mix in the important areas.

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
does that mean to what to set m frequency at I already have my speakers in the front set to large

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
I just don't know how to set my settings on my avr but I do have an external amp so do I even need to do that cant I just set my sub

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
what does lfe stand for
May I suggest some google action? This forum is not a good place to constantly ask the most basic of questions. You need to take some initiative and learn some basics and ask questions to fill in gaps.

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
ok how about this ill re do I just hate having to because it wont let me test with my external amp plugeed in why is that

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
ok so my left tower is at -4.5 db and my right is -2.0 and my sub is at -7.5 db 80hxz is the cross over so what are those numbers telling me and why are they different from each other

M

MvpBrady

Audioholic Intern
and is there anything that I can do to make those numbers match? or do they need to match or should they match lol?

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
They do not need to match. That is what MCACC measured and adjusted to in order to give you the same decibel level from each speaker at your listening position.

When I was measuring mine, the only one I adjusted was my subwoofer, but that was on the gain side (on the subwoofer), not the level side (the receiver). I changed the gain so my sub was -3.5 or -4.5 on the 4311 levels.

You could lower the gain on your sub to bring it closer on the level side as well, but many people run their bass hot (I'm not one of them, at least not to extremes).

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
May I suggest some google action? This forum is not a good place to constantly ask the most basic of questions. You need to take some initiative and learn some basics and ask questions to fill in gaps.
While finding basic information elsewhere is a good idea, I disagree. This and other forums are exactly the right place to "constantly ask the most basic of questions". If they annoy you stay away...

what does it mean when it says cross over your speakers to 80hz
Your receiver passes all channels through a low-pass filter (in this case set at 80Hz) to filter out anything above that value. What's left (no mid or high frequencies above 80Hz) go to the subwoofer along with LFE. Basically it's the cutoff point between what your subwoofer will be spitting out and your main speakers.

I just don't know how to set my settings on my avr but I do have an external amp so do I even need to do that cant I just set my sub
Seriously, you're almost done. Most of the hard work was already done for you by mcacc.

1. set all speakers to small
2. set front crossovers to 60Hz
3. set center and surround crossovers to 80Hz

You don't really want to mess with sub knobs and switches at this point. In fact, there are very few to fiddle with. Here is a link to your subwoofer documentation. Assuming you've connected the sub via LFE out on receiver, all you need to do at this point is set the "Low Pass Crossover" all the way to the left pointed at "Direct". Don't mess with anything else at this point.
Note: while mcacc has already been run, based on the adjustment made to subwoofer gain it may have been prudent to level match sub with mains before running mcacc (you need a SPL meter for this). Since this has already been done, don't worry about it.

what does lfe stand for
This is the .1 in 5.1, 7.1, etc. Basically it's a separate track for bass in movies. While it's an interesting subject, I wouldn't waste a heck of a lot of time or worry on it until you understand much more.

ok how about this ill re do I just hate having to because it wont let me test with my external amp plugeed in why is that
I don't understand this. Maybe you should tell us how everything is connected - amp to receiver, speakers to amp, sub to receiver. The sub should be connected to the LFE out jack on the receiver, NOT the amplifier.

ok so my left tower is at -4.5 db and my right is -2.0 and my sub is at -7.5 db 80hxz is the cross over so what are those numbers telling me and why are they different from each other
and is there anything that I can do to make those numbers match? or do they need to match or should they match lol?
Already explained. Don't mess with the main speaker volumes or I'm gonna get your momma to spank your butt :D It is common - after everything else has been set up - to come back and tweak the numbers higher or lower for center channel or subwoofer, depending on your preference. Just do so gently. If you like big booming bass nobody is going to tell you not to jack it up, but we will tell you that this may not be correct, all things being equal.

You're almost there dude. The only real tweaking you might want to do is sit and listen to some music or movies and adjust the gain for the subwoofer - inside the receiver rather than the volume knob on the sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis