Please help - Acoustic Research or Mirage or KEF

J

joshish

Audiophyte
Howdy all,

I am finally building up a smallish home theatre/music room/living room, after having my friends home theatre (Denon AVR-987, B&W 600 series, Velodyne CHT-12) next door to my house for two years, and having my dad's home theatre (Yamaha higher end receiver with Velodyne 661 (I think that is the model) speakers, SVS Sub) and his music setup AV123 Onix 0.5 powered by an Onix tube amp nearby.

Unfortunately my setup is going to have to be on a tight budget... yay for super cool but low paying non-profit job! Looking at a 42" 1080p LCD TV and a decent 5.1 setup.

So after some research, both reviews and pricing, I've narrowed down my speaker choice to

Acoustic Research ARXP62 with ARXP242C (center channel)
Ive read a few reviews and they seem to be really positive, and the price for two pairs and a center is very tempting ($325 to my door). The use of the aluminum woofer reminds me a lot of my dad's Velodyne 661, which I enjoy theier sound, and they seem to hold up well to a test against the B&W 600 series in the main review on avs. Only downfall is that I have no way of listening to them before they get here.

Mirage Omni 150 with C150 (center)
I would need to run these for my four main speakers with the C150 as my center, due to my budget, but haven't found any reviews of people using these for their main speakers. I love how they look, and people seem to really enjoy the design and spacious sound of the Omni range, but most people on here (with their larger budgets) have been using these as rears only, and even then they don't really review the sound quality coming out of them. Anyone ever used these as front L/Rs?

KEF KHT 2500II
Reviews seem to be strong for a home theatre speaker system, and the price is nice. I am however worried that this is the first time most of the people who bought these speakers have had a home theatre at their disposal, and I'm worried music wont be the greatest on them and I think I might be able to get better sound for just a bit more if I go with one of the ones above.

>>>Two darkhorses (pushing my budget) Athena WS-100/WS-60 and possibly the X-LS from AV123<<<<

The room is aproximately 11"x14" with an arched opening on the right wall. The TV is in the center of the front wall with a couch approximately 7" to 8" away.

If I go with the AR's or the Mirage's I will most likely run without a sub for a month or three as I save up for more than likely a HSU. The KEF's of course come with one.

As for what I watch/listen to, both are very varied. I have a rather diverse 300+ DVD collection of independent films (some very very independent and some fox searchlight independent), foreign, and big hollywood action films, plus access to tons of independent films and now a netflix account. Music will be a mix of Indie-Rock, Singer Songwriter, Minimal and Detroit techno (CD's, MP3s, and Vinyl), and the occasional duty of being my main speakers for my twin Technics 1200 and mixer when I put together DJ sets.

I'm not expecting miracles from the speakers, but would like something that sounds clean and I can be happy with my purchase. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
.josh.

J

joshish

Audiophyte
If it helps with advice, I just bought a Harman Kardon AVR 347.

I'm slightly leaning towards the Acoustic Research, cause I can fronts, surround and center for $250, but I am open for suggestions. I'm looking at buying by the end of the week because I would like to be set up to watch some horror films (Audition, Halloween, Shaun of the Dead) in time for halloween.

thanks again,
.josh.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
All three make good speakers so it really depends on what your ear prefers. How come you're only considering these three brands? What's your overall budget for speakers and a sub?

J

joshish

Audiophyte
All three make good speakers so it really depends on what your ear prefers. How come you're only considering these three brands? What's your overall budget for speakers and a sub?
The three above systems seemed to represent a good value for the dollar. I'm willing to take a look at anything that fits in the budget... looking around $550-700 for a 5.1 system.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
If KEF's satellite speakers perform anything like their larger speakers, they should prove very satisfactory, however, the sub that comes with the package will not be able to provided the output, or extension of an Hsu subwoofer.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
There are some other options to consider as well. For example:

Missions from tsto.com

Boston Acoustics from Circuit City and onecall.com

Monitor Audio from saturdayaudio.com (under "Deals")

Orbs from orbaudio.com

X-ls series from av123.com

Some advice, don't skimp on the sub. Buy a good sub. An STF-1 from HSU ($254) and the x-sub from av123 ($199) are good budget options. You mentioned HSU so it seems you're headed in the right direction.

It would be best to go with a 2-channel setup and upgrade later, but if you're looking for 5.1 now, the options I listed above should bring you in close to your budget.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
SVS is selling overstock of their white and silver speakers. $449 for 5 speakers (without sub) and $799 with the PB10 sub. Another worth considering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis