Please help a complete newbie...

T

tdh88

Audiophyte
I've been reading through a few of the threads on this forum for "newbies." I have to say, most of what you're saying is over my head, and my price range. Piecing together systems, thousand dollar amps and speakers? I'm a broke college student, it's just not in the cards right now. Eventually, I would love to build one from the ground up but for right now I need an all-in-one system. So, here is my situation.

As I stated previously, I'm a college student. I live in a house with 4 other people, who also reallllllllllllllly love loud music. We have a dance floor with a PA in our basement, turntables, MIDI keyboards, etc. And we have incredibly relaxed neighbors when it comes to noise, so loudness is obviously not an issue. In fact, it's preferred. I won't be taking classes this summer so I'll have plenty of time to devote to my job. This means I will have some extra money lying around.

See where I'm going with this?

So I want to spend no more that $700-ish on a stereo. That's easy enough, right? The problem of course is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to audio terminology.

I will be putting the stereo in my bedroom, probably 20' x 20'. My biggest want is bass. Lots of bass. LOADS of bass.

So I'm pretty sure this is where you guys are going to turn on me.....

I've been looking at Sony Shelf Systems. I know, I know. I just don't have the means to go with premium components. So what do you guys think, anyone want to offer some suggestions?

The systems that I've been looking at are between 720-880 Watts, these two in particular:

1)Sony LBT-ZX80D
2)Sony LBT-ZX9

Again, I'm probably the opposite of an audiophile/stereophile. Try not to judge me.

Would the price increase of the LBT-ZX80D over the LBT-ZX9 be worth it?

Any other suggestions?

Guys, thanks for reading. Any (positive) comments would be greatly appreciated.

R

rekced

Audioholic
I'm not really a good audiophile either, but for $700 you can get something more than decent... Are you really looking for something that does 5.1 surround (movies) or just music? If not you might be better off buying two speakers and a sub. Other people will be able to suggest better stuff than this, but this is similar to what I would get... This is just 5 minutes of using google and amazon.

Speakers:

RTIA1 if you like compact bookshelf design
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Cherry/dp/B000V2UBSI

Sub:
Velodyne Impact-12 or Velodyne Impact-10
http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-Impact-12-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B001HMN1LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241169865&sr=1-1

Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPQI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

R

rekced

Audioholic
btw - I just read several reviews on both of the systems you posted. I just have a feeling they are marketed to a different kind group of people than you will find here. I wouldn't be caught dead with those in my house, but I know some people that would. Maybe you would love them. The fact that you're even inquiring makes me think you are not part of that crowd.

Raptor22

Raptor22

Junior Audioholic
Hello fellow college student! :cool:

From what I've heard around especially here at Audioholics forums, the best subwoofer you can get for your $$ is most likely the SVS PB10-NSD.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

I'm another one of those clueless of "What to get," "Which is better," and "How to get the best bang for the buck since I'm a broke college student" type of guy... heh. I've looked at the SVS subwoofers for awhile myself and HAVE to say that they are THE BEST you can get for your $$, since everyone says they clobber other brand subwoofers costing several times more.

As for the speakers go... it really depends on who you are. I am a die hard Klipsch fan, and will always buy Klipsch speakers. Simply love their X-Tractrix horn tweeter design and their mid-woofers produce some seriously warm sounds. Klipsch speakers also go louder than most other speakers per wattage amp power, literally meaning they "use the power more efficiently." I see you are the type who likes LOUD music, so these may sound convincing! However the downside is that Klipsch speakers are expensive. It took me almost 3 months of saving up and selling old hardware to save up for the setup I have right now. No, I don't work for Klipsch haha!

These are my ideas for now... if something doesn't make sense/answers your question or if I just wasted 10 minutes writing nonsense, please forgive me. It's way past my bedtime :p

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
I second the SVS sub, it has a great reputation around here. Get a receiver from accessories4less, you can probably get something that will fit your needs for around $100, then spend the remainder of your budget on a good set of bookshelf speakers. There are some fantastic speakers in the $200 range. Speakers are the most subjective part of a system, but you might want to look at speakers like the behringer 2030, infinity beta 20, maybe something from thespeakercompany.com. Normally you should pick your speakers first, and then build the rest of the system around them, but it sounds like bass is your main priority. You can't go wrong with the SVS sub, and $200 will still get you a very nice set of bookshelf speakers that the SVS sub will compliment nicely.

Edit:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONLTXSR304BLK/Onkyo/TX-SR304-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html
http://www.pro-audio-warehouse.com/b2030p.html

This receiver and speakers combined with the SVS sub would seriously stomp all over and mini stereo system, IMO. There are also a lot of documented mods for the behringer speakers that will greatly improve their performance.

Last edited:
J

John Bailey

Audioholic
For what you're trying to do, you really need to go used. There are tremendous deals on e-bay for what you are trying to accomplish. My advice is going with something like the Onkyo stereo that was mentioned before. That model is the 50 watt model and is probably too small for the volumes you're looking at. They also have a 100 watt model - I forget the number. I've been using one of those and it's been a good performer. If you find a used one on e-bay you shouldn't pay anymore than $100 for it. I've upgraded and will be putting mine on sale in the next few weeks and would be happy to get less than $100. The same can be done with cd players. I bought a very good Onkyo 701 DVD player for $19 on e-bay and it's excellent. Their are many very good floorstanding speakers on e-bay for $200.

If you go this way, you'll have a good $400 or so to spend on a subwoofer. Seems like that's where your money needs to go with what you're trying to accomplish.

Good luck and make sure you let us know what you came up with.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
Their are many very good floorstanding speakers on e-bay for $200.
IMO, for op's stated budget, bookshelf speakers are the way to go. In lower priced speakers, for a given dollar amount, you almost always get a better sounding speaker in a bookshelf than a floorstander.

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
IMO, for op's stated budget, bookshelf speakers are the way to go. In lower priced speakers, for a given dollar amount, you almost always get a better sounding speaker in a bookshelf than a floorstander.
I agree - I've never had floorstanders. I like the sound the standmounts have.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis